Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems using a Shanko 777 HD 130/90 16 on a Vulcan 800. My first Shanko tire sidewall gave out under 500 miles and they replaced it for free. Well my first ride with the new tire was only about an hour long and when I parked, I could hear the tire rubbing the front fender. I was told the tire rep. wanted to ordered another Shinko tire from a different warehouse to make sure it wasn't a bad lot. Again I took a short ride and the tire was rubbing the front fender. The rim was checked out when they change the last tire. It just seems like the Shinko tire runs wider then 130mm. Now they are ordering me a Dunlop tire to try. Also, I was wondering if the first tire was rubbing and that is why it only lasted a couple hundred miles. :confused:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I take it this is on a classic? I have the same tire on my 05 800 classic and have not noticed this rubbing, but now i'm going to check that in the morning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's a classic. How much space do you have between your tire and fender? This morning I flipped the fender bracket to see if it was bent and still had the same problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Sorry, I was wrong. I have a Meztler 880 on the front of the 800, I have the Shinko on the front of the Voyager. The Metzler has maybe 1/16" clearance on each side of the fender bracket, its a tight fit. I'll try to get a measurement of the tires later on though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick,

Sounds like a tight fit might be normal for the 800's front tire. My friend has a nomad and I can fit my fingers between the tire and fender.
I might give it a couple of rides and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply,
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts