Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing the stock seat on my '12 Voyager. I have spoken with a lot of folks on their aftermarket seats. Seems everyone likes theirs for a variety of reasons. I know it all comes down to comfort and personal preference, but I would like some input for your favorite and why. I am currently leaning toward the Corbin wide touring in black leather with the removable backrest. Bring them opinions!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi CKR;

Do a search for seats and you will soon discover every seat has someone who loves it and someone who hates it including the stock seat. This includes cushions, beaded covers, and sheepskins. As well as various folks moding your stock seat...

Seems at the end of the day we alll have a bit different butt, riding styles, sitting positions, comfort levels, and amount of money we can or want to spend.

But it's a great way to spend some winter evenings waiting for the weather to come around... ?

WEG
PS: I still have the stock seat on my '09 1700 Classic with an IKEA sheepskin (recent addition last year).

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I have back problems and thought my ridding days were done. Swapping from a Concours with a Corbin seat to a Vulcan with a Russell Daylong has helped a lot so far.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I had the Mustang seat on my 900 and the Ultimate on my VN2K. Both are great. Anything is better than the stock seat, in my opinion.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've replaced the stock seat on my '10 twice now.

First time with a Mustang (I had them on the two bikes before and those were superb), and second time, shortly afterwards, with a Russell Day Long. The Mustang is still gathering dust in the back of the garage, as it's too expensive to ship offshore & no one in NZ wants it.

I didn't mind the Mustang, but it was just "OK" on the Voyager, not superb. My passenger hated it. She slid forward into the driver's backrest over every bump in the road.

The Russell is superb, for both of us.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
................I didn't mind the Mustang, but it was just "OK" on the Voyager, not superb. My passenger hated it. She slid forward into the driver's backrest over every bump in the road.

The Russell is superb, for both of us.
I second that. I got Mustang seats for both my Vulcans (Classic and Voyager). I think the Mustang is a lot better than stock and can even cost less than a stock seat. Used prices can be very good on the Mustangs.

I sent the factory seats in for Russell modifications (Classic is done, Voyager should be done next week). Now I have the Mustang as a "normal" seat for when I sell the bike or when someone that isn't my fit rides (my son-in-law).

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you decide to go with the Corbin, be aware that the standard Corbin design for the Voyager will drop you about 1" lower, and 2-3" inches further back from the bars. This is probably just what you are looking for if you are 6'3" with long arms. It is NOT a good thing if you are 5'8" with short arms. Don't ask me how I know this.

The good news is that Corbin is more than happy to modify their "stock" design in a number of different ways. They offer one free seat rebuild any time in the first year you own the seat. But if you know up front that you don't want that standard 2-3" further back, tell them up front and save the time and expense of shipping it back for a rebuild.

Another point about the Corbin, they definitely believe in "firm" support. There is a reason they call them Corbin saddles. A lot of people love them. Some hate them. I'm still on the fence about mine. But if you are looking for a seat with a lot of cushion, I don't recommend the Corbin.

But it is a beautiful seat, and if I decide I can't live with it long term, it will give me something to ride with while I ship the stock seat to Russell for a rebuild. Then I can sell it on e-bay for almost what I paid for it. :)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have back problems and thought my ridding days were done. Swapping from a Concours with a Corbin seat to a Vulcan with a Russell Daylong has helped a lot so far.
This is just another confirmation that everyone is different. The only thing that gets sore when riding my concours 1400 is my butt. The Voyager will hurt my lower back on long rides unless I wear a back brace. I prefer to lean forward a little. Leaning forward also helps me absorb bumps better.

I am averaging 10,000 miles a year on the Voyager, and 15,000 miles a year on the concours.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just a side note on seats. I put a Mustang on to replace the stocker on my 900. It made all the difference in the world. Loved it! When I bought my Nomad, I thought, this has a seat on it I'll not have to replace. It is a comfortable seat. However, after riding for extended lengths of time, I found I had lower back pain. I was bummed out thinking that, here we go again to search for a replacement seat. Then I discovered it was more of my riding position causing my problems. I tried adjusting how I sat, but eventually fell back to the slouched position causing my discomfort. Then I decided to try a backrest. I purchased a Grasshopper backrest for about $100 shipped and WALAH, no more back pain. Now I once thought windshields weren't cool and I once thought backrests weren't cool. Well, and maybe they're not. But, riding in comfort is better than riding with pain or not riding at all. Just one more consideration that may help some of you.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just a side note on seats. I put a Mustang on to replace the stocker on my 900. It made all the difference in the world. Loved it! When I bought my Nomad, I thought, this has a seat on it I'll not have to replace. It is a comfortable seat. However, after riding for extended lengths of time, I found I had lower back pain. I was bummed out thinking that, here we go again to search for a replacement seat. Then I discovered it was more of my riding position causing my problems. I tried adjusting how I sat, but eventually fell back to the slouched position causing my discomfort. Then I decided to try a backrest. I purchased a Grasshopper backrest for about $100 shipped and WALAH, no more back pain. Now I once thought windshields weren't cool and I once thought backrests weren't cool. Well, and maybe they're not. But, riding in comfort is better than riding with pain or not riding at all. Just one more consideration that may help some of you.
Oh, forgot to add that my stock '09 1700 Classic has a Grasshopper backrest in addition to the stock seat and IKEA sheepskin. I agree with AK, backrest works well for extended rides.

WEG

·
Registered
138 Posts
Stock seat on 2011 Voyager works for me. Occasionally use Ikea sheepskin as a pad or rolled up as a backrest. 5'-10", 200 lbs
Adjusting posture during a ride is ongoing, stretched out with hiway pegs, leaning back or forward over the bars; straight up feet on floorboards, etc.
I'll try modifying the stock seat foam first.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks to everyone so far for the feedback. I am considering sending my stocker to a guy in FL for a rebuild while it's still cold. I also like the feedback that Corbin will adjust the basic saddle design/position at no charge. I had heard locally that the Mustang was not the best choice for the Voyager, and the feedback here pretty much confirms it.

I do currently have a backrest that I use from time to time. I take it off when I'm doing mostly short, local in-town riding and put it back on for longer rides. It does help significantly with the back when racking up miles.

My biggest thing with the stocker is the padding tends to "give up" after several hours of riding. That makes my junk feel like it's getting pushed to the upsweep of the seat (at the tank). Don't want to get pushed too far back as I do have fairly short arms and legs (torso is a bit longer which presented problems fitting racing bicycles in my younger days).

So far I'm stuck between a rebuild and the modified Corbin. Gonna have to wait a little while longer 'cause the pickup needs new tires first! Thanks for all of the responses!

Mike

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks to everyone so far for the feedback. I am considering sending my stocker to a guy in FL for a rebuild while it's still cold.

Mike
Hi Mike

The guy I know about in FL is Spencer and I understand his rework is about $50!
I haven't used his services but the price is right and I think he has a good turn around time. I know he has a website as well. Google him and check it out. I think he is in Palm City near Stuart.

Good luck finding a solution.

WEG

·
Registered
7 Posts
2 options. Option 1 Mustang or Corbin are great seats.2 Buy a gel pad and get the upholster to cut out were you sit. Maybe just as comfortable and cheaper

·
Registered
92 Posts
AS Peg said and will think he will agree with me if you want to stop searching for a seat there is only one to buy that will guarantee you a comfortable luxury ride and that is a Russel Day Long. Nothing like it in the market place.

If you do a search on seats on any website, Honda, Harley any sites you hear complaints about all the rest Mustang and so on. The one not funny thing is you do not hear a complaint on a Russel Day Long at least I have never found anyone complaining about them except for the price. I bought one and I can not believe the difference I can ride all day and never be sore or stiff I even say it is better then my VW Passat seats in my car that I stay more comfortable and that is a fact I do.

It is the best no doubt about it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I am an undenied Russell Daylong fan, and for good reason. Russell makes your seat a custom made seat from the get-go. They don't make a "standard" seat and then modify it to fit you. Most seats, such as the Corbin, Mustang, etc., are an off-the-shelf item, designed as a "one size fits some" seat that may need some modification to make it work. To Corbin's credit, they will make you a true custom seat if you want, and, preferably, go there for a ride in appointment to have the seat done.

To have a Russell done, you sent (or ride in) your seat to them and they make your seat up on the stock seat pan. The take all kinds of measurements and photos of you on the bike, or you fill to a form and mail it in to them with the pics. They unconditionally guarantee that your seat will be comfortable, as it is made specifically to fit you and no one else. A Russell Daylong is expensive, but so is a Corbin or an Ultimate seat. To me, it's worth the expense. I've never been disappointed in any of the Russell seats I've had. Had to have a couple adjusted and then they were perfect. If long distance comfort is your goal, Russell is the way to go, IMO. Oh yes, they will put a backrest on the seat if you desire. It's adjustable up and down, and fore and aft.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where can I get the Ikea sheepskin cover? I think I'll give that a try before replacing the seat. I can use my backrest when needed. If that doesn't cure it then from suggestions and research I'm gonna try the Russell Day Long. But think I'll try the Ikea sheepskin first.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I sent my stock seat to meancitycycles.com, I had the do the double decker memory foam mod on it. The mod was $165 and with shipping both ways it came out to a little over $300(shipping there was expensive, the return wasn't bad). Now, after putting 1100 miles on it, I can honestly say it is far superior to the stock seat.

PS Tell them to put in a tailbone recess, it make a world of difference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sheepskin Pad

I went with the Alaska Leather sheepskin pad on my stock seat. Works great. I did add an extra strap to hold it in place.

I've had expensive leather seats, even custom fitted with gel pads, on other bikes. So far, I like the sheepskin pad better. Adds some cushiness and keeps my butt cool on hot days. Lots cheaper as well.

http://alaskaleather.com/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts