Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vulcan 900 Custom -I am 6'1"

1) Stock seat sucks
2) air hawk - better
3) seat mod - better than stock
4) seat mod with air hawk - a little better

5) Corbin young guns with back rest - big improvement but still get butt burn after a few hours. A short break and I am good for another 45 min to 1 hour. I have over 2000 miles on the Corbin so it is past the seat beak in period.

I am thinking issue is Not just the seat but also sitting position. What do I change? Foot peg location, handle bars? How do I know how much to change and it what direction? Any suggestions on how to figure this out appreciated.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hey Bill, I have heard that some highway pegs can really give you another position making your ability to ride distance much greater.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Highway pegs makes a big difference for me. Really gives me a lot more 'range', and keeps the blood flowing. I've yet to find a seat, on any bike, that gives me all day comfort. Motorcycle seats just aren't thick or wide enough and the backrests just aren't big enough to support enough weight.

It seems the only exception is a "Russel Day Long" which I'll probably get one of these days. With the exception of folks with serious damage (like destroyed discs in their back); folks who own the Russels pretty much all say they can ride all day long without any discomfort. The seat is a little ugly. Food for thought, if you can stomach the price!

I'm the exact same way with my Mustang seat. After a couple hours, my tailbone burns (I don't get any other pain or discomfort, but my tailbone). But if I get up for just a couple minutes (usually I'll pull into a gas station, get gas, walk in and get a bottle of water) I'm good for another hour or two. And doing that I can ride all day. Which is why I think highway pegs help so much; they keep the blood flowing. I also try to remember to sit up in the seat, against the backrest, change positions, etc. BEFORE my butt starts hurting to keep things together.

I chased comfort for a long time, changing all sorts of positions and parts and aftermarket seats. Nothing made any difference. The biggest improvement was my Mustang seat, which is what I run on the Vaquero. And the comfort is the same regardless of how the bike is set up position wise. Next stop, maybe later this year after the wife and I get back from Vacation, is a Russell Day Long.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Get an Ultimate Seat and be done with it. From the looks of the Russel Day Longs tho they look similar, I just have no way to compare comfort levels. I just know the Ultimate Seat is the best mod I have done to my 900 to date. All day comfort and softness. You sit in the seat not on it. Highway pegs are a must as well so there is some adjustment to riding position.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Get an Ultimate Seat and be done with it. From the looks of the Russel Day Longs tho they look similar, I just have no way to compare comfort levels. I just know the Ultimate Seat is the best mod I have done to my 900 to date. All day comfort and softness. You sit in the seat not on it. Highway pegs are a must as well so there is some adjustment to riding position.
He already has an aftermarket seat. Some people found the Ultimate seat to be WORSE than the Mustang or Corbin, and vice versa. Sometimes a particular seat works really well for one person but not another. Which is why, IMHO, a custom made seat (Russell) is probably the only solution for someone like me and the OP for whom no off-the-shelf seat is really perfect. Big improvement, but not perfect.

I'm one of those who found the Ultimate seat to be not much of an improvement. The Mustang gave me the most improvement but then, others are totally different!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I tried several seats, and some i like more than others. The Corbin was my favorite in the 90's. I also liked the Saddleman. I currently have a Mustang wide tourer I sent to NJ and had it rebuilt to my wgt. specs etc. It is good but my butt is so boney I don't think any would help more. I tell people I lost my butt in a card game.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
He already has an aftermarket seat. Some people found the Ultimate seat to be WORSE than the Mustang or Corbin, and vice versa. Sometimes a particular seat works really well for one person but not another. Which is why, IMHO, a custom made seat (Russell) is probably the only solution for someone like me and the OP for whom no off-the-shelf seat is really perfect. Big improvement, but not perfect.

I'm one of those who found the Ultimate seat to be not much of an improvement. The Mustang gave me the most improvement but then, others are totally different!
Just based on my experience, with my chronic lumbar pain and permanent scar tissue from surgery, and another more recent herniated disk (still blown out), the Ultimate Seat does me great. I can still ride all day without complaints. I had the Mustang wide tourer on it when I bought it, sitting position was good, down and back compared to the Ultimate. But as for comfort and softness there is no comparison. I found the mustang hard and uncomfortable after a couple hours in the saddle. Also the Ultimate is real leather, the mustang is not. That alone changes the feel of it. It forms to you every time you sit down. Yes everyone is indeed built differently, this is just my experience. I'm sure the Russel is a great seat, just no experience with it, the styling looks very similar.

I was pretty much forced to get a mustang for my Glide, otherwise it would have been another Ultimate. But it's too damn old, and choices were limited. Still breaking that one in. Most probably won't go with the Ultimate anyways simply due to the price. They are spendy!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just based on my experience, with my chronic lumbar pain and permanent scar tissue from surgery, and another more recent herniated disk (still blown out), the Ultimate Seat does me great. I can still ride all day without complaints. I had the Mustang wide tourer on it when I bought it, sitting position was good, down and back compared to the Ultimate. But as for comfort and softness there is no comparison. I found the mustang hard and uncomfortable after a couple hours in the saddle. Also the Ultimate is real leather, the mustang is not. That alone changes the feel of it. It forms to you every time you sit down. Yes everyone is indeed built differently, this is just my experience. I'm sure the Russel is a great seat, just no experience with it, the styling looks very similar.

I was pretty much forced to get a mustang for my Glide, otherwise it would have been another Ultimate. But it's too damn old, and choices were limited. Still breaking that one in. Most probably won't go with the Ultimate anyways simply due to the price. They are spendy!
They are pricey but so are the Mustang seats. Price is similar really.

The leather would be nice, though the Vinyl is nice when it rains. When I order the Russell I'll probably get that in leather.

The Ultimate was definitely softer but that was the problem, I needed a firm seat with plenty of support. The only issue then is sometimes some numbness and pain from sweat and 'pinching' on seams because of the firmness. But I found the solution to that, on a really long ride (all day / multi-day), is compression shorts worn as underwear (you're not supposed to wear underwear under them anyway). Moisture wicking, no seams. Works great! That's generally only an issue after 3-4 hours in the saddle anyway. And not really a BIG issue except on a multi-day trip. So I rarely do that. The main issue is my tailbone which I've just never found a solution to. Even with the Mustang, I get tailbone soreness after 20 minutes. The difference was, the stock seat, the Ultimate (on the 900, no Ultimate available for the Vaquero), the Kawi Gel seat; after 20 minute I was in pain and after an hour it was unbearable, as in I HAVE to get off. After an hour on the Mustang it still hurts but it's not that bad. After two hours, it's nowhere NEAR the pain with the stock seat/others, but it's pretty uncomfortable and I'm ready to stretch. The real difference though, is if I get off and walk around for 30 seconds or so I'm ready for another hour. Stock seat, etc., I was in pain for hours after the ride. If not for my tailbone, honestly, I could ride all day on the Mustang seat without ever getting up. I don't get any sit bone pain, soreness, or numbness. Just that dang tailbone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the mustang wide touring seat on mine and I'm not real happy with it. It's better then the stock seat but not great, I get very sore after an hour and if I get up and walk around it doesn't help, just continues to get worse. I've raised my bars, added highway pegs and seems to making any difference. i did just get a wooden beaded seat cover and really hope it's going to help as I'm going to be going on a week long trip in july!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I have never ridden on anything other than a stock seat except in 2 instances, and both of those were the exact same seat, just different bikes (La Rosa solo seat). When I had the solo seat on my 750 Vulcan I could ride all day. Literally. If I didn't have to stop for gas that is. It was that comfortable. So when I jumped up to my Vulcan 800 (I know HUGE leap up in CCs huh?) I ditched the stock for the La Rosa and again, could ride for hours upon hours no problem. Both times with the La Rosa it was hard mounted, no springs. I would go on rides with guys with $800 seats and they'd have to stop after an hour or so because their butts hurt. I would get so frustrated. We are on a ride dang it, not on a park! Eventually curiosity set in and I sat on/rode a couple of their bikes. Their seats were so soft compared to mine. Softer than the stock seat on the 900. I didn't understand. How could a seat that soft hurt their butts so bad? And then I realized that for ME, softer is not better when it comes to comfort. That's why when I finish my bagger conversion on my 900, it'll have a La Rosa seat. Besides looking bad ass (to me anyway) it's way more comfortable to ME.

Everybody's butt is different. Some people like the seats with memory foam, gel, etc and like em soft like a sofa. Others, like me, prefer a stiffer seat. Hell my butt hurts sitting on a car's seat for longer than an hour. On my bike I can go 3 hours straight.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm the same way. The Mustang is a stiff, firm foam. So it is somewhat plush but offers a lot of support. Definitely the way to go for me. But not everyone.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I found the stock seat made me sore and even after a break,I was still not recovered.
The mustang wide touring seat is much better for me. I do get sore after around an hour,But after a quick 2-5minute rest,Iam good for another hour.
After doing that all day, I can get off and feel no pain.
My only real advice would be to schedule a short break when you feel the discomfort. Try to get the circulation back before you get too sore.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
They are pricey but so are the Mustang seats. Price is similar really.

The leather would be nice, though the Vinyl is nice when it rains. When I order the Russell I'll probably get that in leather.

The Ultimate was definitely softer but that was the problem, I needed a firm seat with plenty of support. The only issue then is sometimes some numbness and pain from sweat and 'pinching' on seams because of the firmness. But I found the solution to that, on a really long ride (all day / multi-day), is compression shorts worn as underwear (you're not supposed to wear underwear under them anyway). Moisture wicking, no seams. Works great! That's generally only an issue after 3-4 hours in the saddle anyway. And not really a BIG issue except on a multi-day trip. So I rarely do that. The main issue is my tailbone which I've just never found a solution to. Even with the Mustang, I get tailbone soreness after 20 minutes. The difference was, the stock seat, the Ultimate (on the 900, no Ultimate available for the Vaquero), the Kawi Gel seat; after 20 minute I was in pain and after an hour it was unbearable, as in I HAVE to get off. After an hour on the Mustang it still hurts but it's not that bad. After two hours, it's nowhere NEAR the pain with the stock seat/others, but it's pretty uncomfortable and I'm ready to stretch. The real difference though, is if I get off and walk around for 30 seconds or so I'm ready for another hour. Stock seat, etc., I was in pain for hours after the ride. If not for my tailbone, honestly, I could ride all day on the Mustang seat without ever getting up. I don't get any sit bone pain, soreness, or numbness. Just that dang tailbone.
I opted for the sissy bar pad as well. That alone was $200 I think, which is a bit ridiculous. But they marry together perfectly in fit form and function. The wife says it's a huge improvement over the stock and mustang pads. Got a bit of a curve to it. Think I had $700 into my purchase with shipping. But I recovered about $450 of that by selling my mustang seat and sissy bar pads, and the stock seat on ebay. So in the end if you do it right, it's not such a big expense. Just a bit more on the front end.

·
Registered
338 Posts
What he said. Ultimate Seat and highway pegs. I went from being miserable in 40 minutes to being slightly uncomfortable in 2 hours. Take a break, get a drink, back on the bike another 2 hours. Rinse / repeat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
An old trick from long haul touring riders was to use a removable sheep skin. That was back when narrow seats were the norm. I wonder how well it would work with the wider seats on our cruiser bikes ?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I am going to give highway pegs a try with the stock seat. I never really understood what all the beef was about on the stock seat until after a day of about 5 hours on the bike. Even with breaks my butt went numb after the fourth hour. I was doing ok up until then but was really uncomfortable for that last hour. Plus, I wanted to get home and didn't want to take any more breaks. My butt wasn't sore afterwards but just wasn't happy during the last part of the ride.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I never really understood what all the beef was about on the stock seat until after a day of about 5 hours on the bike. Even with breaks my butt went numb after the fourth hour.
You're lucky. On the stock seat, I was *miserable* after about 45 mins.

Then again, I'm not a small guy. 6'2" and 350#.

The "Ultimate Seat" I put on it was worth every $ in the pricetag.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you can ride four hours before your butt get's numb, then I'd say your doing pretty good with the stock saddle.

Before you guys spend a ton of money on special seats, check with a local auto upholstery shop to see what they can do. My local shop can do anything and they charge about $100 to modify a motorcycle seat.

This video is a bit fast but you get the idea as to what a shop can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4rlIcmEl6c

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Based on the comments it looks like my 2 hr ride time is pretty normal. A short break and I am good for another 1 1/2 hr. I still have my air hawk so I will try that on the Corbin seat this weekend and see how it goes and let you know.

The hi way pegs are a good idea, I am looking into a few options.

My daughter in law is a Dr. of physiotherapy, when I get the chance I will see if she has any suggestions on changing my seating position.

·
Registered
376 Posts
All I can share is what worked for me. I had the stock seat reworked twice with different foams and gels. No luck. The crown in the seat is what hurt the tailbone so I gave up on the stock seat.

I then went with a Kawasaki comfort gel which has a flatter seating surface.
Better but still uncomfortable after a couple of hours. I added an Airhawk on top and experienced a huge improvement. After that I topped it off with an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad. The sheepskin hides the Airhawk and prevents any heat build up in the gel seat. For all the money I spent I probably could have went with a Mustang but for me with the setup I have now, I can ride all day.
Kawasaki makes a good product but does not listen to their customers. The stock seat on the 900 should have been addressed by Kawasaki years ago.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts