Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had their seat rebuilt by Sweet Seat and how did you like it. I would like to know which would be a better choise to rebuild the stock seat or a new Mustang seat. One way or the other this stock seat has to go. I weigh 195 lbs. and my tail bone is takeing a beating. I have a 900 Custom.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was looking at the different options and opted for the Mustang Wide Touring seat. I could not be happier. It looks and feels great.

Edited because I forgot to say that I am 6'0" 160 lbs. My tailbone was always the first thing that bothered me on the stock seat to.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ain't nothing can beat a Russell Day Long Seat. I had mine done in Oct and have been riding on a Lazy Boy ever since. They make it to the spec's of your fanny!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I decided to give Mean City Cycle a call and sent my seat to them for the Memory Foam Mod. Got the seat back today and can allready see a big difference. It feels much firmer and feels like it will do the job and still keep the smooth lines of the bike. Will post back after i give it a good long run.

08 Vulcan 900 Custom

·
Registered
92 Posts
Post some pics when you get time, Floridaboy, really currious how it looks. I'm 5'6" and weigh in at 185, but I also drive truck for a living, so my back side is not that uncomfortable on the factory seat on my '09 custom. Something about logging 120,000 miles a year builds calluses! Or is that character!?! lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The seat does not look any different then it did before i sent in it looks stock. They remove the stock foam and replace it with memory foam that is much firmer. Give them a call and tell them what you want. They will give you a date for the seat to be sent and they rebuild it that day and send it back. The hardest thing for me was finding a box for seat. Found that U-Haul has a flat wardrove box that is 24x10x36 that worked out good. The seat cost me total $154.00. That includes shipping both ways.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I decided to give Mean City Cycle a call and sent my seat to them for the Memory Foam Mod. Got the seat back today and can allready see a big difference. It feels much firmer and feels like it will do the job and still keep the smooth lines of the bike. Will post back after i give it a good long run.

08 Vulcan 900 Custom
Have you had a chance to put some miles on the new seat yet? I need to make a decision as to the seat change I'm gonna make while the bike is still in winter storage. Funds are limited so I am really interested in your outcome.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The weather is still to cold for me. I think it will warm up next week and i will be able to do a 150-200 mile ride. I will post when i get some results.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It warmed up today and was able to take a good ride. I rode from Hudson to Dade City then to Lake Panasuffee over to Inverness then back home . I rode 173 miles altogether.The seat worked out real good no pain and i rode 100 miles before the first stop for a drink. Then the 73 miles home with a gas stop. I was well pleased with the seat and think it was worth the money. Got another ride comeing up Sun. if it does not rain.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well it rained the day of the ride with the club but cleared up. We rode down south to a Bikefest and it was great and alot of fun. I put 214 miles on the bike and the seat still felt good. I still think it is worth the money. If you want to improve your seat i used Mean City Cycles Memory Foam Modification.

Vulcan 900 Custom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ain't nothing can beat a Russell Day Long Seat. I had mine done in Oct and have been riding on a Lazy Boy ever since. They make it to the spec's of your fanny!!!

That Russell Daylong looks like what I need but it is one of the most expensive out there. I tried the Mustang with the back rest on my Honda Aero 750 and hated it. It was harder than the stock seat. You hate to spend $600 for something and hate it. I did absolutely love the backrest though. I sold my Aero and got a Kawi 900 LT and the stock seat on it has a Gel in it instead of the hard foam like the mustang. So far the Kawi seat is the best I have had but it still gets honery after a couple of hours. I want to pull the trigger on that Russell daylong but am worried I will want a bigger bike this year and then I wasted seat money again. I thought the Honda Aero 750 was huge when I bought it in June, and in September I got the Kawi because the Aero was too small and didn't have enough power up the canyons. I didn't get to ride but a couple of months before weather set in. If I use the 900 the whole summer I will probably keep it. It solved so many dislikes I had with the Aero including power, FI and I really like the HeelToe shifter now.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'd deffinately wait until you feel a long term commitment to the ride. I've had Eljay for almost a year now and still plan on keeping for the long haul, even if I get another ride so it made sense to do the Russell. In my mind, if I wasn't enjoying the ride to the fullest (starting in the maderatza department), it's not worth it. Yup, it was a lot of dough, but when I get home after over 8 hours in the saddle and I get off, I'm comfortable. That part rocks!!! Besides, Russel will do whatever they can to make it comfortable or a refund (though I'm not sure how you get the original one back)

·
Registered
122 Posts
ok i figure here would be place to ask the people who have the saddlemen seats and the mustang seats what do you guys about them trying to figure out which is a better seat ??

·
Registered
657 Posts
The entire seat was redone including making the passanger backrest larger and more comfortable. My wife and I do a fair amount of two-up and she likes it as much as I do. I did have a Saddlemen and for me it wasn't much of an improvement. I'd be will to bet the Mustang is much better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts