Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested in Installing saddlebags on a Vulcan S. Its really not that tricky, and many here I'm sure are much more mechanically inclined than I am. But the bike was in for some routine service and I took the opportunity to have them just throw on a pair if Viking saddlebags that were supposedly bike specific. They declined saying that the OEM backrest made it impossible. Really not the response a shop should give. I wish they just said they didn't want to

Anyway, the OEM backrest made it only a tiny bit trickier. I am sure that the provided brackets could have partly worked but its interesting the the holes in the brackets were close but did not align with the holes in the bike. I am assuming that the brackets were SAE but I didnt take the time to measure them - Instead I purchased a pair of Kawi OEM saddlebag brackets. Made the job more expensive but its a sturdier install. These brakets mount inboard of the backrest bracket and they come with bushings welded in place to replace the bushings on the backrest.

Once installed, there are 4 grommeted hole in the bags, in theory to give you some flexibity fore and aft. Again as it turned out the alignment of the holes is close but off by 1/4 inch or so, necssitated over drilling one of the holes. From there simply marking and drilling a third lower hole was straightforward.
In the end thu look good, fit well, clear the rear pegs - they dont hold much but thats a different story
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Fuel tank

Fuel tank Tire Plant Vehicle Wheel

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the info! We installed Viking bags on my wife's KVS (with the backrest) and had a similar experience. I'm honestly not a fan of the Viking installation brackets. The bags are nice, though

1 - 2 of 2 Posts