Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. New rider as of May of this year and I currently ride a VStar 650 and I am interested in purchasing a 1700 Vulcan Valquero. I am 5' 8" tall with a 30" inseam. Are there any riders on here with my height or shorter that are riding the Valquero and if so what is your experience thus far. Closet dealer that has a Valquero in stock is 4.5 hours away and I want to get some feed back on this topic prior to heading that way to test ride one. Thank you in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Good morning everyone. New rider as of May of this year and I currently ride a VStar 650 and I am interested in purchasing a 1700 Vulcan Valquero. I am 5' 8" tall with a 30" inseam. Are there any riders on here with my height or shorter that are riding the Valquero and if so what is your experience thus far. Closet dealer that has a Valquero in stock is 4.5 hours away and I want to get some feed back on this topic prior to heading that way to test ride one. Thank you in advance for your responses.
Think you will be fine,if I'm not mistaken the vaq sits a little lower than the nomad and vv,5'11 32 here and can stand up with extra room on my nomad,Be a nice jump and a sweet Ride,some others will chime in ,good luck

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a 2015 Voyager and I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam. I can flat foot on level ground with no problem but if the ground slopes away on either side it takes a little more attention to what you are doing when stopping. Both bikes list a seat height at 28.7" so I think you would be OK with it. Just be aware when you test ride if the ground isn't level when you stop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you JDHog. I am truly excited about the Valquero as my GF rides a HD Street Glide and leaves me in the dust when we ride together... lol

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
As others have said, be very careful if you're in a parking lot and the ground slopes. If that bike leans just a bit too much, you probably will not be able to stop it from dropping. Also, stay off that front brake when in a parking lot or coming to a stop at an intersection.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only downside when I switched from a Vstar 1100 to a Nomad 1700 last year was the weight. From less than 700lbs. to 800+, that beast is heavy to move around the driveway/parking lot, so you're always careful finding your spots... but once you're off, 'exhilirating'.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm 5`8" as well and on level ground I'm just about flat foot, I caught myself on uneven ground and down the big girl went! Luverene(sp) Kawasaki sells a rear lowering kit that I have just waiting install next weekend. Also look into Ivan's Performance ECU flash!!! best money spent on my bike so far.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I'm 5`8" as well and on level ground I'm just about flat foot, I caught myself on uneven ground and down the big girl went! Luverene(sp) Kawasaki sells a rear lowering kit that I have just waiting install next weekend. Also look into Ivan's Performance ECU flash!!! best money spent on my bike so far.
Let me know how the install goes and how much difference the lowering makes. I'm not too aggressive in the turns so don't think scrapping would be an issue for me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm sure you're aware you're picking up about 300 lbs. from your VStar. Just be very careful with it until you get used to it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
388 Posts
While not a Vaquero, I went from a 2003 V-Max to a 2011 Nomad.
The Nomad feels a bit taller to me than tha Vaquero does, but I can flatfoot the Nomad easily, and back it up without any issues. (I'm 5'4" at 130 lbs with a 30" inseam.)

Be aware that not only are you gaining about 300 more lbs of bike, which you may notice at parking lot speeds, but my Nomad feels more top heavy than the few Star 650 bikes I have tried.

That being said, with a little time, you quickly reach a point where the weight will not bother you, and if the Vaquero handles anything like my Nomad, then you will find yourself on a machine that handles very well for its size.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm a new rider, and just got my Vulcan S last week. I did quite a bit of research and thought it would be an ideal first bike. I'm taking the basic rider course in a week and a half, and have only ridden around the block so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update... went to the dealer today... it was pouring rain so unfortunately no test ride on the Valquero was done. I did sit on the bike for a few minutes and it is a BIG bulky bike and it does weigh a ton. I was tip toeing as far as feet to ground was concerned. The bike did have a 21" front wheel on it instead of the standard 16" stock wheel so not sure if that made a difference in the seat height. They quoted me $1430 to lower the front and back an inch each which I thought was a bit high priced. We may be visiting another dealer with a standard option Valquero tomorrow to see if it feels any better under my seat. Also looked at a Harley Electric Ultra Glide Limited that was already lowered with all the bells and whistles on it. But again no test rides were allowed due to rain...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did they have an aftermarket seat on it (most will raise the seat slightly). I'm 5'7" on a good day and can just about flat foot my Voyager. Not an issue at all...just pay attention to your pavement when maneuvering slowly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts