Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first bike last Saturday. Got a nice new 09 Vulcan 500 and am loving it. Salesman tried to up sell me to a used Honda Shadow 750 or a new Vulcan 900 but I stuck with the smaller bike. Figured I would master it before moving up to something bigger if I felt the need. Still going through the cyclic feelings of major adrenaline rush to sheer terror but getting more confident and relaxed each time I ride.

Just have a question regarding breaking it in. I've gone about 80 miles so far and haven't gone over 50 mph for more than 10 of those miles. I was wondering if I could go ahead and take it on the freeway or if I should just go easy on it for couple hundred more miles. I plan on getting the oil changed at 150 miles. Basically, I'm just looking for advice on how I should break it in. Salesman said to just drive it like I normally would but just bring it in at 150, 300, 500, 700, 1000, etc. I got the service plan and get unlimited oil changes for three years so I plan on using that as much as possible.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Starfire,

Congratulations on your new ride! There are lots of opinions out there on the proper way to break-in the engine. You may find the following an interesting read on the subject.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/NewBike.html

Also, I hope you have broken yourself in too by taking a class on riding. The MSF course is a good one. Everyone who takes the class, recommends it. Just a good way to start and you'll learn lots, fun too!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MnV500,

I did take the course. Mama didn't raise no fool. :D Well...ok...maybe a couple but I wasn't one of them. Anywho, I'm 46 and learned to research and edu-ma-cate myself on most major decisions and this one was right up there at the top of the list.

I'll look at that link later today. Thank you for your help. I'll also be perusing this forum and sucking up as much info as I can.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just picked up my first bike last Saturday. Got a nice new 09 Vulcan 500 and am loving it. Salesman tried to up sell me to a used Honda Shadow 750 or a new Vulcan 900 but I stuck with the smaller bike. Figured I would master it before moving up to something bigger if I felt the need. Still going through the cyclic feelings of major adrenaline rush to sheer terror but getting more confident and relaxed each time I ride.

Just have a question regarding breaking it in. I've gone about 80 miles so far and haven't gone over 50 mph for more than 10 of those miles. I was wondering if I could go ahead and take it on the freeway or if I should just go easy on it for couple hundred more miles. I plan on getting the oil changed at 150 miles. Basically, I'm just looking for advice on how I should break it in. Salesman said to just drive it like I normally would but just bring it in at 150, 300, 500, 700, 1000, etc. I got the service plan and get unlimited oil changes for three years so I plan on using that as much as possible.
Congrats on the new scoot! JMO, but I'd stay off the freeways until you get a little more riding-time. The 500 is a great bike, but I wouldn't want to push it too hard before break-in. Give yourself some time, learning how the bike feels under different road and highway conditions. I'm curious why you dealer wants you to bring the bike in at 300, 500, 700 and 1000 miles? Does the owner's manual state this? The first dealer check is almost always at 600 miles. Some riders will change their oil before then, but I've always waited until the 600 miles. Been riding for close to 45 years and always break-in my bikes this way and never had any problem. As far as breaking-in the engine, I usually take it easy the first 100-200 miles. Don't "baby" the engine, but make sure you change your rpm's and vary your speed frequently. There's lot's of opinions on break-in, but the best way is to just use common sense. Hope you enjoy your ride and stay safe!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Congrats on the scoot, Starfire. Welcome to the forum and the motorcycling community, you're gonna love it. Good on ya for taking the safety course... money well spent.

The only suggestions i have about break-in is to keep in mind that it's a new engine and not jump all over it. On the other hand, you don't have to worry about really taking it easy either. If you do go onto the freeway, vary your speed occasionally... it's not good to maintain a steady speed for extended periods of time during break-in.

I just bought a new bike this month and the mechanic walking me through the bike told me to use the gears to help slow down 'cause it helps with the break-in. I hadn't hear that one before but i guess it makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I'd advise you to READ THE OWNER'S MANUAL! It will tell you everything you need to know about breaking the bike in, service intervals, etc. Not doing what it says can void your warranty.

Your salesman is full of it if he's recommending service every 200 miles. That's overkill x 3. My guess is he's getting a cut of the first year's service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Starfire, your post made me laugh. Just this morning I bought a new 09 500, and traded in my honda shadow 750. I've been riding for 10 years now, and gradually went bigger each time, but I wanted a bike that was easier to handle especially on turns and leaning into curves. I pick up my new bike this week and am looking forward to some great autumn rides

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I already feel like one of the family. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts