Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider (but a late comer), took the course and now have my M2. I know the arguments about buying an older bike first, but have decided for many reasons to purchase new and looking specifically at the Vulcan S. It 'fits' me the best of any bike I've sat on which for me is the most important thing, but I also like it's looks, etc.

That being said, I am very new, and although I passed the course just fine, I'm nervous about picking up the new bike and riding it home (about 20km). I'm in a rural area and only have a couple of stop lights to get through and then open road til home. Nothing really scary but hopping on and leaving the dealership lol.

Any advice?

·
Registered
220 Posts
As another relatively new rider, I say just do it. Once you are on the road you will be surprised at how natural it all feels, hopefully. And based on the rural nature of the journey, it will be over before you want it to be.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I like the 'just do it' suggestion. That's how I decided to get into riding in the first place... no excuses, just do it! ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
If there is a parking lot, near the dealers, and it is not full (that is there is plenty of open space) go there and practice starts and stops and turns. Do this until you are comfortable with the controls and then ride home. Try not to over think things.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll scout it out ahead of time to see if there's a 'practice arena' nearby. You're right about the over-thinking though. thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a new rider (but a late comer), took the course and now have my M2. I know the arguments about buying an older bike first, but have decided for many reasons to purchase new and looking specifically at the Vulcan S. It 'fits' me the best of any bike I've sat on which for me is the most important thing, but I also like it's looks, etc.

That being said, I am very new, and although I passed the course just fine, I'm nervous about picking up the new bike and riding it home (about 20km). I'm in a rural area and only have a couple of stop lights to get through and then open road til home. Nothing really scary but hopping on and leaving the dealership lol.

Any advice?

I felt the same way two months ago. I trailered my vulcan s home from the dealer cause I did not want my first ride to be 70 miles on the interstate. Once I got her home, I took short 5 to 10 mile rides until I felt comfortable. It took me a month to get over the nervousness but now I look forward to going for a ride. Take your time and you'll be riding like you've being doing it all summer in no time. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I had to go that far, I'd probably have it delivered. But there's two stop lights, a flashing red and all in a rural area. Like G Man said... "just do it". ;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
i second Dpetrick

It had been 10 years since i had been on bike, did not take safety course so took bike to a parking lot and rode circles, stops, turns until i felt good. I wish it had been a rural ride home! Suburbs are probably the most dangerous place to ride. I think the highway is safer! But did make it home and then was paranoid about my first ride to work. It just takes time to get comfortable. Remember: the most accidents happen within 6 months of new bike. This will keep you humble if you keep that in your mind. Watch You tube videos on Motorcycle accidents...do search and watch them all! Teaches you what not to do and what to look out for...probably learn something they did not teach in class. You will be fine and welcome and enjoy the new bike...awesome choice!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree, just do it. Im a new rider also. I bought my bike in April of this year. Never rode before ( except for a few 4 wheelers and dirt bikes when in jr high, I am 42 now ). I didnt take the rider course because I was working alot of O.T. on the wknds and needed the $. I took a vacation day off work, to buy my bike. The deeler is an hr away from my place with a mix of stop lights at first then 2 lane highway for the most part, then back to in town riding. I did a few practice runs in front of the dealership. Then just decided it was now or never and figured out how to ride the bike on the way home. Just do it, you'll figure it out. Just dont rudsh, take your time. I also had my wife follow me home and stick close to me just in case I wrecked. Lol. So far , that hasnt happened yet 4 months later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just rode my new Vulcan S home today. I'm loving this bike! It's my first motorcycle, never ridden before this. I took the California basic rider training course (based on Total Control not MSF now). I also took a private lesson with a guy in town for some more seat time. That alone gave me so much more confidence! I highly recommend that if there is someone in your area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
One more comment, the dealer offered to take her over to a big parking lot for me so I could play around and get used to her before hitting traffic. Do that and just go through some of the exercises you did in class. You'll be fine!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone. I feel confident enough now... now to wait for the financing. Seems to take forever to get paperwork done!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts