Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have just purchased a 2009 VN900 Custom SE. My wife is a HD rider and has been bugging me for the last 2 years to buy a bike. She tells me how much I will love it. And it is something we will be able to do together.

After alot of research I decided on the bike above, mostly because of the look of it believe it or not and the good things I hear about it. I look forward to learning to ride it after the safety course of course.

I am importing it in from the US, and I live in Canada. I have a couple of questions.
-Does the speedometer have km's on it, I know it obviously has MPH? I assume it does, and it was a question I forgot to ask. If it does not, I have to have that fixed apparently.
-Do these bikes have daytime running lights?
-How does everyone who has one of these bikes like them?

I have not actually seen this bike yet (a friend of mine has though), I can't wait to start riding this, I am really looking forward to the opportunity.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The speedometer has Km on it. The markings are pretty small, but they're there.

Pretty much any bike you buy nowadays will turn on all the lights whenever the ignition is on. The Vulcan is nice in that the lights don't come on until the bike is started, which helps if your battery is a little weak. After the lights come on, they stay on until you turn the ignition switch off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The speedometer has Km on it. The markings are pretty small, but they're there.

Pretty much any bike you buy nowadays will turn on all the lights whenever the ignition is on. The Vulcan is nice in that the lights don't come on until the bike is started, which helps if your battery is a little weak. After the lights come on, they stay on until you turn the ignition switch off.
That is great to know. It helps in saving some costs.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome, terryok.

As the guys have already mentioned, your speedo will show KPH (if you actually pay attention to the speedo), and you'll have daytime running lights.

I've said it before on this forum, and i don't mind saying it again... the 900 is hands-down, the best all-around street bike that i've ever owned. I love mine, and i'm sure you'll enjoy yours as well.

Now, if you get a wild hair someday... there are folks out there that make custom speedometer faces. You could contact one of them and i'll bet you could get KPH values in big font rather than MPH, along with a cool background of your choosing. They're not too expensive either.

EDIT: Here's a guy (Webslinger) that's popular with everyone:

http://www.stargis.net/webslinger/Images/Speedo/index.htm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Welcome, terryok.

As the guys have already mentioned, your speedo will show KPH (if you actually pay attention to the speedo), and you'll have daytime running lights.

I've said it before on this forum, and i don't mind saying it again... the 900 is hands-down, the best all-around street bike that i've ever owned. I love mine, and i'm sure you'll enjoy yours as well.

Now, if you get a wild hair someday... there are folks out there that make custom speedometer faces. You could contact one of them and i'll bet you could get KPH values in big font rather than MPH, along with a cool background of your choosing. They're not too expensive either.
Thanks for the input. I am glad to hear your thoughts on this bike.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've ridden "standards" or sportbikes since I've been riding and never owned a cruiser until I got mine last year. I'm still surprised at how much I like to ride the Vulcan. It's not the best "all around" bike there is, but I think you'll like it just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
welcome to the forrum, I've had a vulcan 900 custom now for half a year and love the bike, its easy to handle, holds the road nicely and gets fairly good gas mileage (49mpg). Hope ya get years of good riding

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have just purchased a 2009 VN900 Custom SE. My wife is a HD rider and has been bugging me for the last 2 years to buy a bike. She tells me how much I will love it. And it is something we will be able to do together.

After alot of research I decided on the bike above, mostly because of the look of it believe it or not and the good things I hear about it. I look forward to learning to ride it after the safety course of course.

I am importing it in from the US, and I live in Canada. I have a couple of questions.
-Does the speedometer have km's on it, I know it obviously has MPH? I assume it does, and it was a question I forgot to ask. If it does not, I have to have that fixed apparently.
-Do these bikes have daytime running lights?
-How does everyone who has one of these bikes like them?

I have not actually seen this bike yet (a friend of mine has though), I can't wait to start riding this, I am really looking forward to the opportunity.
Make sure you are aware of all the requirments for importing... you have to register the bike and have the ownership checked at US customs before bringing it across the border, you must declare it with CDN customs and have them give you the R I V paperwork, (Register of Imported Vehicals) with out this you will be like all the other dummies here in Canada, a bike to ride that CANT be registered, check provincial laws, The R I V will issue you a compliance sticker so that you can get the bike registered. sounds complicated, easy to do, RIV costs about $200. Good Luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Make sure you are aware of all the requirments for importing... you have to register the bike and have the ownership checked at US customs before bringing it across the border, you must declare it with CDN customs and have them give you the R I V paperwork, (Register of Imported Vehicals) with out this you will be like all the other dummies here in Canada, a bike to ride that CANT be registered, check provincial laws, The R I V will issue you a compliance sticker so that you can get the bike registered. sounds complicated, easy to do, RIV costs about $200. Good Luck
I know I have to get the information faxed to the US border crossing 72 hours prior to my arrival back to the US border, and get Canadian Customs to provide me with RIV paperwork, but what do you mean by registering it? Don't I just register it in Saskatchewan(ie license and registration)? I am not driving it back, I am transporting it by truck until I can ride it in the Spring.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Registering the bike with US customs .... means completing the paperwork, faxing it to the 72 hrs in advance and i also believe you have to proceed to Us customs to let them stamp you Bill of Sale and run the VIN before going into Canada, do not proceed directly into Canada just because you faxed US customs the paperwork. If you give them a call they are realy helpfull to let you know what they require..... good luck and enjoy your new bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts