Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the plunge.
Ordered a new Goodyear Tripletred 205/60/16 tire for the V2K and picking it up this afternoon. Found a shop that will mount it for me and by Tomorrow afternoon I'll be a member of the Darkside.

Planning a 2500 mile round trip to Florida on the 27th and I want good rubber on the scoot for that. Pulling my trailer with all my shtuff in it also. Need good rubber under my big butt.

$102.00 out the door ain't a bad price and I can forget about babying the rear tire on The Beast for at least 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I sure wished there was a shop around me that would mount
a CT on my rim.
I tried two dealers so far. One Metric and Harley and both
even with a cash deal won't take responsibilty and sent me on my way.

I have to find a small rouge bike shop that might not give a sh#@%^
and do it for me.

You guys are lucky being able to find shops that will do it.*

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
cp, give us a report on your new rubber. best give a little time to acquaint yourself to the differences in handling... but a good report would include; initial first ride impressions, secondary and long distance rides, final impressions and conclusion after your trip. This would be helpful to the many fence sitters. out, ponch.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cp, give us a report on your new rubber. best give a little time to acquaint yourself to the differences in handling... but a good report would include; initial first ride impressions, secondary and long distance rides, final impressions and conclusion after your trip. This would be helpful to the many fence sitters. out, ponch.
This upcoming trip is one of the main reasons why I opted to do it now. 2500 miles round trip should give me a great feel for the Darkside. I hope you guys ain't been blowing smoke up my tail pipes cause I'm basing this move on what I have read and talked to other people about.

First ride impression will be tomorrow when I come home from getting it mounted. Planning to put some miles on it before leaving for Florida so I should be good to go by then.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'm home with a new Goodyear 205/65/16 Radial on the rear of the Beast. Approximately 25 miles to the shop where the work was done so I got a decent taste of it on the way home. For all you fence sitters, fall your butts off and go get you a CT for your scooter. Having said that, I am basing my statement on highway riding only, so far. Have not committed any twistys yet so I can't offer anything in that respect.

First Impression:
Holy sheep shearing booby flopping pig sweat Batman, this is friggtastic.

0 to 5 mph in parking lot: No difference what so ever. Turns are smooth and steady. The Beast has always been a handful at very low speeds so nothing changed. Have to hold back in a turn or the bars will snap to full lock. It tries to turn tighter as it did before the new tire.

10 to 45 mph: Ride seems smoother than with ME 880. Did not find any grooved roads but I suspect it will try to follow the grooves more so than the Metz did. Going straight on highway is a no brainer. Let go of the bars and she goes straight as a string.
Doing "S" turns on straight road requires a touch more effort(say 2 to 5%) to get the bike to initiate the lean and turn. Once you cross that threshold it tends to stay in the turn rather easily unless you let go of the bars or completely relax your grip and then she simply returns to straight running. At first it feels a little resistant to starting the turn but almost instantly goes away once you are in the turn and you don't notice anything different than with a MC tire.

Braking: Nuff said. More tread on ground = more braking. Tire WILL slide with rear brakes, rather easily. Be aware of this. I suspect it would also break loose under very heavy sudden acceleration also. Be aware of this also.

Fitment: Tire went on the rim like a baby duck in the lake, splash and there it was. There is no problem with rotation direction due to the way the tire tread is made, will go either way. Check to make sure the tire does not rub anywhere before you take off. I put 3 oz. of Dynabeads in the tire for balance and it's smooth as glass. Them little critters are amazing.

Pressure: I started with 37 pounds in it cold and by the time I got home it was up to 39.5 and temp was considerably hotter than front tire. I have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System on my bike so it's easy to check air pressure and temp. Am going to let it down to 34 psi and see how it acts there. Should not be any noticeable difference.

Conclusions so far: I admit I was a bit hesitant to go here but was determined to find an alternative to the high price of rear tires for my Beast. I am completely satisfied (so far) with the results of this tire and as soon as I can get time I'm going to make a twisty run somewhere to get a sense of how it reacts in heavy turns. The mechanic who put the tire on took it for a test ride and I was watching as he pulled away. The tire DID NOT heel up on one edge. It merely leaned over into the turn and flexed the sidewalls a smidgeon. Nice to see that, it put a lot of rumors to rest.

I intend to mount my GoPro HD video camera to my trailer hitch and video the tire in action, not only on normal roads but also in turns and twistys.

I may possibly be able to do that tomorrow if I can figger out a quick and dirty mount for the camera.

I think I just had a brain fart, er, I mean brain storm. I'll hitch my trailer up and tape the camera to the bottom of the trailer tongue. Ah Hah, he said!:D:pig:

Overall I am completely satisfied and would definitely recommend anyone with a big heavy cruiser like this to go to the Darkside with maximum speed and never look back.

Now, as in all things human, your results may vary and my report is my own results only and should not be taken as gospel until you have tested this for yourself. I am not now or ever will be liable for any thing anyone puts on their own motorcycle regardless of my recommendation. You is on your own.

CoolPig:pig:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
be mindful of where and how you secure your camera. It may be in harms way if you kick up some stones.? I have seen plenty of cam pix of CT's. some is from back an others is with the cam strapped under the scoot facing back at the tire. Is a way cool view.

Just for grins; it would be, here is an old saying "far out" if somebody strapped the cam under the frame and pointed it forward and then went for a ride on some dragon like road.? me thinks. out, ponch

·
Registered
696 Posts
Very cool write-up, pig. Looking forward to seeing more and your videos of the tire, especially if you're going to run at ~30psi or so. Seems like most of the CT videos, that I've seen, show a tire that is overinflated, no flex in the sidewalls.

Good luck on your trip. Hope you have a great one!

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well poop in my corn flakes, the dang video didn't work. Have to try it again tomorrow.
It recorded a 398 Meg file but the computer says it's not a video file. I got no idea why.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Maybe it is a proprietary video file that comes out of the camera and has to be converted, or software installed on your machine, to make it work.

Maybe if you said what unit you're using and the video file extension, someone here knows what to do.

uhh, brown sugar works much better on the flakes....... :D

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe it is a proprietary video file that comes out of the camera and has to be converted, or software installed on your machine, to make it work.

Maybe if you said what unit you're using and the video file extension, someone here knows what to do.

uhh, brown sugar works much better on the flakes....... :D
The camera is a GoPro HD Hero and the file that comes out is an MP4 just like the fifty or so other files I have recorded with it which work perfectly on my MAC Book Pro computer. I feel pretty certain that there is no proprietary video file and this is not the first time I have shot video with it.

I do not mean to come off as smart as or anything and if that is the way my reply sounds then I apologize. I don't know why it went nutso on me but I won't lose any sleep over it. I'll just rig it up again tomorrow and reshoot the video. I'm sure I can get some useful information to post. I am kind of anxious to see what the tire does in turns.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Nope, don't think you're being a smarta--. Same here, I wasn't being a smarty either. :) I didn't know how familiar you were with the camera and was just trying to be helpful.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know or understand why but it seems like some times in life things that I know will work and has worked in the past will for some as yet unrevealed reason simply refuse to operate like it's supposed to and defy me figuring out why.

I have slowly learned, in my advancing age, to just accept what happens and move on knowing that eventually I will overcome these gremlins in this new fangled piece of architecture and technology and bend them to my will. Either that or I will smash the dang thing.

A good friend sent me a very good piece of advice.

"Breathe, just breathe. Deep breath in and deep breath out. If that doesn't work kick the crap out of something.

·
Administrator
11,986 Posts
I don't know or understand why but it seems like some times in life things that I know will work and has worked in the past will for some as yet unrevealed reason simply refuse to operate like it's supposed to and defy me figuring out why.

I have slowly learned, in my advancing age, to just accept what happens and move on knowing that eventually I will overcome these gremlins in this new fangled piece of architecture and technology and bend them to my will. Either that or I will smash the dang thing.

A good friend sent me a very good piece of advice.

"Breathe, just breathe. Deep breath in and deep breath out. If that doesn't work kick the crap out of something.

Sounds like your camera needs a gremlin bell attached. ;)

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's the best idea I've heard yet. It's gotta be Gremlins and Goblins. Will one bell work for both or do I need a Goblin bell also.

I shall find out today.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Either a Gremlin or a Goblin bit me in the butt yet again. Mounted the camera, took off and recorded a five minute video which came out perfect except for one thing. The dang trailer light pigtail and the chains were right in front of the lens and I can't see the tire for crap. GGGGgggrrrrrrrrrrr!

By the time I get this dang video shot I'll be darned good at it. Patience people, I promise I will post a video of the tire. I put about a hundred miles on it today and it feels pretty normal to me other than a bit of wiggle butt on certain roads but that's not a problem.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
cp, scrap the video, hows you n the new donut getting along? there's plenty pix on youtube.. what the naysayers need is some on the job feedback.. does this thing work or don't it? when is your long distance report due? thx n out, ponch

1 - 20 of 36 Posts