Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, I have never posted here before but enjoy reading all the good information on here. I am about to replace the rear tire on my 2009 900 custom. I have had chain driven bikes before this one and have had no problems with having a shop mount and balance the tire; and I mount/ dismount the wheel myself. I have read a few posts on here that has me concerned about pulley wobbling issues after removing the rear wheel.
I have a long road trip from detroit, MI to east tennessee planned in a week and a half and need a new tire before I go but I am very concerned about mechanical issues arising from the new tire installation.
How many of you have performed the wheel removal/ install yourself with no issues?
Do you guys know of any good shops in the detroit , MI area who could perform this for me to ensure no problems on my upcoming trip.
I am resonably mechanically inclined; but some of these posts about this wobbling issue has me a little gun shy about tackling this myself. I really don't need any mechanical trouble 600 miles from home.
Thanks for any help you can provide me with this.

FatAdam

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you know your way around a wrench, you shouldn't have any real issues. The only problem we frequently have is putting the belt back on too tight first off... myself included.

Just shedule yourself a little time to ride around a bit before leaving on the trip. You'll know right off if the belt is ok or not.

As far as the pulley wobbling is concerned, if you tighten them in a star pattern and torque them down, it'll be fine. Check first though if the shop needs you to take the pulley off. I left my pulley on when i took the tire in for replacement. I don't think the bike shop took it off either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, thanks for the quick reply, sir.

So i take it the wobbling issue is happening not just from the wheel removal; but when the pulley is seperated from the wheel itself? Did you notice any issues with your bike; after the belt tension issues was corrected? How many miles since you replaced the tire?

Btw; do you know what the recommended belt tension is? I can't seem to find it listed anywhere. I would prefer not to give kawasaki $65 for the official manual.

Thanks, FatAdam

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fatadam!! I've experienced the same problems....pulley wobble is NOT normal, will not wear in and is likely to wear your belt...Check out my recent post and earlier concerning this......then form your own conclusions.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...=pulley+wobble
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...=pulley+wobble

This has a lot to with the fact that Kawasaki did not do a very good job in foreseeing problems after a wheel removal and replacement...I've had better than a year with this, but it's now FIXED!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've had no problem with pulley wobble, and i did take the pulley off when i was playing with it. I've put about 1k miles on the bike since.

As far as what the belt tension should be technically, i don't have a clue. Nor do i have any means to measure the tension anyway, so it wouldn't help me to know. I just sorta went by feel and hearing. Pay attention to the tension before taking the tire off and try to duplicate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. The tire is being swapped friday by a mechanic who has done this procedure multiple times and claims to have had no complaints or issues. He is going to let me observe so I can do this comfortably next time myself. Hopefully all will go well. Thanks again!

FatAdam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got back from TN on sunday evening. After putting over 1,600 miles on the bike after the tire change, everything is perfect. The pulley is turning true and I have no complaints so far. Hopefully this is an issue that will not effect my bike. Thanks for the help guys!
Adam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts