Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to replace my rear tire on my 2010 vulcan classic. It is a 170 70 16, I called my local dealer the bridgestone exedra are one of the only tire avaliable and you have to get them from kawi. I found a selection of others on ebay. I'd like input on a good rear tire for this bike with a mix of comfort and milage please reply with knowledge and experience I got 10,400 mi off this stock exedra

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
So far the Michelin Commander 2 has proven to be an excellent choice. If you got 10,000 mls outa ur stock tire that is purty good, I got 5700 mls outa my stock rear tire. The commander 2 will prolly get you over 25,000 mls, I am approaching 19,000 mls on the commander 2.

The tire for ur skoot from Michelin is the 180/65-16. Don't worry bout the size difference, so many peeps have been using this tire for a long time and it is the replacement for the 1700.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay now the problem is I can't find it in the 170 70 16 what size do I get it in that also fits the bike without throwing anything off?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
So far the Michelin Commander 2 has proven to be an excellent choice. If you got 10,000 mls outa ur stock tire that is purty good, I got 5700 mls outa my stock rear tire. The commander 2 will prolly get you over 25,000 mls, I am approaching 19,000 mls on the commander 2.

The tire for ur skoot from Michelin is the 180/65-16. Don't worry bout the size difference, so many peeps have been using this tire for a long time and it is the replacement for the 1700.RACNRAY
Okay now the problem is I can't find it in the 170 70 16 what size do I get it in that also fits the bike without throwing anything off?
Read the bold red section in my post, that's the info you need to know. It handles and feels good, much better than a worn out tire for sure.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I am trying out the new Metzler ME 888.... So far I love it.... a real road hugger.

Cheapest place I found it was Amazon.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I was lucky to get 10,000 kilometres from the excedra, 12,500 from Dunlop 404's, so far have over 16,000 kilometres & looking at possibly 20,000

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input, this is my first tire replacement on this bike so I'll hope for the best on one of these tires!

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
You can always go Dark Side too ya know.......

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
OMG... never heard of Dark Side???

Best way to get the most shouting and tempers going in a motorcycle forum...

Using a car tire on the rear. YOU get three time the miles at half the price. I have done CT's for 40 years, I took a CT off to try the new Metzler tire, as myother motorcycles all have new tires on them. When it wears out I will go back to another CT. (car tire)

Here is a thousand links to where Dark Side was mentioned in threads in this forum....

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3970273

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
They were doing Dark Side in New York when I lived in Syacuse 35 years ago...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I concur on the Michelin Commander II tires. I have a 2011 Nomad 1700 and am finally ready to change my rear tire with over 22,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I put a set of Metzler 888's on front and back. They were considerably cheaper than the stock tires. I find them to be very stable/smooth. I think I paid 550 for a set installed......Canadian $ of course :confused::eek:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I put a set of Metzler 888's on front and back. They were considerably cheaper than the stock tires. I find them to be very stable/smooth. I think I paid 550 for a set installed......Canadian $ of course :confused::eek:
Forgot to mention I went with a 180 on the back, and stock size on the front

1 - 19 of 19 Posts