Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I saw that the other day. Honestly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It's too much of a track car to be a cruiser, but too much of a trike to be a real canyon carver. It's a cool idea, but I'd go for something more along the lines of a caterham. :D

J

·
0 Posts
The Polaris Slingshot I saw at Sturgis yesterday...very angular, very, 'plastic', very over-styled......and it just screams '80's futuristic'...

·
Registered
165 Posts
It makes absolutely no sense to me. I would rather have the mazda miata. More stability and creature comforts with the ability to cruise in all weather and conditions and most likely receive the same thrill with the top down. I would imagine that the miata gets the same or better fuel economy on any given day also.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'd love to drive one. It's not a "motorcycle" except for legal purposes. The REASON this thing is really three wheeled; no matter what spin they put on it, is that three wheeled vehicles are considered 'motorcycles' and as such, don't have the same safety, emissions, and crash testing requirements.

Would be a riot to drive I bet!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd love to drive one. It's not a "motorcycle" except for legal purposes. The REASON this thing is really three wheeled; no matter what spin they put on it, is that three wheeled vehicles are considered 'motorcycles' and as such, don't have the same safety, emissions, and crash testing requirements.

Would be a riot to drive I bet!
So basically, because it's a very unsafe car. One wheel can be removed. It can then be retitled and sold as a "more safe option" to a motorcycling crowd? It appears it would serve neither purpose well.

·
Registered
918 Posts
This thing is stupid. $20K asking price, the glove box is the only storage option, and it only holds 2 ppl. Totally unpractical. The 4 grand I spent on my 900 gives the same experience AND allows me to add storage capacity. This is just another rich man's toy.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
This thing is stupid. $20K asking price, the glove box is the only storage option, and it only holds 2 ppl. Totally unpractical. The 4 grand I spent on my 900 gives the same experience AND allows me to add storage capacity. This is just another rich man's toy.

Well, there have been other, similar attempts- which sold- for a LOT more money. I think it could be fun. Admittedly, I could probably find better uses for $20,000. The engine is a little less than inspiring. It's the 2.4L Ecotec motor; aka the Chevy Cavalier/Cobalt, and Saturn L-Series motor. Doesn't exactly scream 'performance' no matter how light it is. A responsive, high revving sportbike engine with forced induction would produce the same power with less weight and add to the 'fun factor'.

So basically, because it's a very unsafe car. One wheel can be removed. It can then be retitled and sold as a "more safe option" to a motorcycling crowd? It appears it would serve neither purpose well.
I don't think it's being sold as a "safer motorcycle". It costs a LOT of money to get a car approved for legal road use here in the US of A. And there are a LOT of rules regarding emissions, sound, safety, etc. This is being sold as an open-top, open-wheel sports vehicle. But by removing a wheel, they keep the price down and can get away with things that they cannot get away with with 4 wheels.

It's not unlike the Elio, which is a little project for a car. Who knows if it'll ever come out, but using the same loophole of "three wheels = motorcycle", they have a fully enclosed "car" with air conditioning and everything, and is actually front wheel drive, that is (allegedly) going to sell for $6,800. There is no way you could sell a 4-wheel, emissions compliant, safety tested, U.S.A. certified car for that price. But remove a wheel, you just shaved hundreds of thousands, if not millions, off of your cost to engineer and legalize the car!

If you haven't heard of the elio, it's actually a two seater (one in front, one in back), with ONE power window (only one window opens), air conditioning, cruise control, a little 3 cylinder engine that they claim is going to get 84MPG and sell for $6,800.

·
Registered
918 Posts
@Romans: the guy on the other forum I tried linking thinks 20k is reasonable since cruiser bikes are about that much. BS! Maybe the HD's, Victories, and Indians, but the Jap bikes are usually under 20k and are usually fully dressed.

Heck, even the Triumph Rocket III Touring is cheaper than the polaris, even with all the available OEM upgrades. And it comes with storage!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, I found something that is 3-wheeled, can be ridden in all seasons and costs about the same as a VN900, meet the Elio. I think next summer I'm gonna trade both my truck and bike in on one of these cars.

Payments will be reasonable, the insurance premium should be cheaper than a car, and it's still pretty close to riding a motorcycle. Additionally, it gets 84 MPG on the highway and 49 in town. Hardly anything with 4 wheels can achieve that at this point.

Be cool if they came out with a convertible version.

EDIT: *biga$$facepalm* I didn't scroll up and see Romans post about the Elio until now. Oh and Romans, Elio will be out in 16 days!

·
BOTM Winner, October 2013
311 Posts
I will get the chance to drive/ride one next month, one of my long time friends owns the local Victory dealership and I road captain the Victory Test rides when he has the truck at his dealership, he went to a Victory meeting last month and got to play with one, no it's not a bike but he said it is a BLAST to drive, but at $20k, I don't think I will be having one in the stable anytime soon. Toys are toys, and like they say, there's a ass for every seat. But we all said the same thing about the Spider when they came out, now we are infested in them.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, I found something that is 3-wheeled, can be ridden in all seasons and costs about the same as a VN900, meet the Elio. I think next summer I'm gonna trade both my truck and bike in on one of these cars.

Payments will be reasonable, the insurance premium should be cheaper than a car, and it's still pretty close to riding a motorcycle. Additionally, it gets 84 MPG on the highway and 49 in town. Hardly anything with 4 wheels can achieve that at this point.

Be cool if they came out with a convertible version.

EDIT: *biga$$facepalm* I didn't scroll up and see Romans post about the Elio until now. Oh and Romans, Elio will be out in 16 days!
Either I misread information about the Elio or whatever, but this trike won't be in production until this time next year. They are still working on building the engine and working out legal issues.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I will get the chance to drive/ride one next month, one of my long time friends owns the local Victory dealership and I road captain the Victory Test rides when he has the truck at his dealership, he went to a Victory meeting last month and got to play with one, no it's not a bike but he said it is a BLAST to drive, but at $20k, I don't think I will be having one in the stable anytime soon. Toys are toys, and like they say, there's a ass for every seat. But we all said the same thing about the Spider when they came out, now we are infested in them.
The Spider is a cool looking ride. Just too darn expensive. I remember first seeing this back in 2009 when I first went solo trucker. Found a pair of yellows sitting at a truck stop off I-80 and to take a look while I was on break. I was thoroughly excited to see something different until I saw the price tag.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Either I misread information about the Elio or whatever, but this trike won't be in production until this time next year. They are still working on building the engine and working out legal issues.
Yep, it keeps getting pushed back. Although I'm very excited for the Elio; and WANT it to succeed; at this point, one hasn't even come off the assembly line. There are just a couple of hand-built prototypes with borrowed parts. In fact, the most recent running prototype has a dashboard and engine from a geo metro and they've not even had a prototype WITH the Elio engine on the road yet.

It'll be months AFTER the factory is in full production before it's available for sale. And as of yet, (unless I've missed it), there hasn't been one off the line yet. When you go from prototype to sending one off the line for testing and regulatory approval that's when you can get excited. It can sometimes take years for cars to get regulatory approval (that's why manufacturers are already building 2016 models! Because they won't be actually ready and approved until late 2015! The cars you buy on the lot today are actually 2~5 years BEHIND the engineering team; it just takes that long to take a prototype to one you can actually buy)

Like I said, I'm excited. But I'm also worried we'll never see it. I'd love to have one. We'd leave the Mustang in the garage, park the elio in the driveway (with two motorcycles, 2 cars and a lawn mower in our garage there's no room for anything else!); and my wife would drive that to work instead of the 'stang.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts