Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the throttle body apart to see if I has a seal issue with the ORings...as I have decel popping, some backfiring, and even sounds like a miss sometimes. The inside of the throttle body tunnels it is oiley with what looks like some oil buildup inside....is this normal?? The front plug also had pretty oiley threads and had some carbon buildup...the rear plug looked good. The hose that come into the top of the air cleaner compartment also has a little oil splash under it. Take a look at the pics and looking for some opinions.

It now has stock pipes back on it and I took the Cobra fi2000 off since I could never tell a difference in any setting.

I've taken it to the dealer a month or so ago to check out, since it has a pretty loud knock usually for the first 10 minutes of riding and they said that was normal...and they couldn't hear any of the other issues I listed above....of course.

Is it possible I have a broken ring on the front piston and it is pushing oil or is all of this normal?

I just bought the bike a few months ago used, it was a California bike.

Putting it back together in the morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
knock

Mine has the same knock when I start it when its cold and take off for work in the morning. Its been like that all 4000 miles and 6 weeks I have owned it. I hope its normal!

·
Registered
255 Posts
How many miles are on your bike? That plug looks like the cylinder is rich compared to mine. Both front and back looked close on mine too. If you have 70k miles, I would say it looked ok but both cylinders should be close.
I get the knock until the bike has warmed up well too.
I had the oily build up on mine after a few thousand miles, but took the K&N out, cleaned it and reoiled (lightly). Checked it yesterday when I pulled my plugs after 6k miles and no oil now.
Hard to tell in a pic though. I have stock pipes but punched the discs. K&N filter, Cobra Fi2000 and marbled. Maybe your Cobra is malfuntioning? At first I did'nt think the Cobra was doing much but after a bunch of tweaking, I found it took care of a lot of the issues I had. I still think a Bully or PCV would be better, but too much $$$ for my budget right now.
Thanks for pics. It helps when someone can post them. My crappy phone cam sucks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles are on your bike? That plug looks like the cylinder is rich compared to mine. Both front and back looked close on mine too. If you have 70k miles, I would say it looked ok but both cylinders should be close.
I get the knock until the bike has warmed up well too.
I had the oily build up on mine after a few thousand miles, but took the K&N out, cleaned it and reoiled (lightly). Checked it yesterday when I pulled my plugs after 6k miles and no oil now.
Hard to tell in a pic though. I have stock pipes but punched the discs. K&N filter, Cobra Fi2000 and marbled. Maybe your Cobra is malfuntioning? At first I did'nt think the Cobra was doing much but after a bunch of tweaking, I found it took care of a lot of the issues I had. I still think a Bully or PCV would be better, but too much $$$ for my budget right now.
Thanks for pics. It helps when someone can post them. My crappy phone cam sucks!
The bike has 12k miles and had the baffles drilled when I bought it...so I went back with some stock ones to see if that solved the problem. It helped, but still have some issues. I replaced the air filter with a K&N after I bought it, and it does appear to be way OVER oiled....the red oil always drips out of the bottom when I take it out. I am gonna clean it up and see if that helps as well. What do you have you cobra settings at?

·
Registered
255 Posts
The bike has 12k miles and had the baffles drilled when I bought it...so I went back with some stock ones to see if that solved the problem. It helped, but still have some issues. I replaced the air filter with a K&N after I bought it, and it does appear to be way OVER oiled....the red oil always drips out of the bottom when I take it out. I am gonna clean it up and see if that helps as well. What do you have you cobra settings at?
Cobra settings: 5 - 4.5 - 6
Sounds like your running about the same mods as me. I used a sharpened rebar and punched my baffles rather than drill them. You might have less back pressure. I might change those plugs after you clean the filter and try my settings.
I hope that helps you out. Tweak from there till you get it where you feel good about it. Then pull the plugs again after some miles and see how they look.
My bike seems to be running really well with this set up. I'm not getting gut wrenching torque, but it runs smoothly. I do get a little pop on decel but since I only punched the baffles, it is not very noticeable.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Ticks and tocs?

My 2011 has zero ricky tickys, has never had a backfire, nothing except when the wind blew it over and a lifter was clunking for a little bit.

What you hear at the 30 second mark is me bumping into my tile cutting table.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts