Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was finaly able to find some used pipes for sale localy. a set of 3" hard chromes. first of all, i love the sound, loud and with a good tone. i had been running stockers with the baffeles removed. i havent installed a fuel programer as of yet, and overall the poping is not to bad. one bonus i have noticed since installing them a couple of weeks ago is my fuel milage is getting better. now heres my question, i bought the bike in march of last year with only 5000mi on it. i was only able to get 120mi to a tank before the fuel light would come on. the bike now has 19,000mi on it, and i am getting 160mi to a tank before the fuel light comes on. the better milage has only really been quite recent. is it the pipes, and will a fuel processor help improve this even more?

thanks,

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I would think that adding new pipes would decrease your fuel mileage.

Stock pipes are replaced mostly for look and/or sound. Kaw does a pretty good job of engineering the stockers.

But I really don't see how, not yet having a fuel processor installed, your getting better gas mileage.

Your still bringing in the same amount of air.. and pumping the same amount of gas into the chambers.. while in fact, your back pressure has changed..

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm thinking your louder pipes make you think you are going faster than you used to and so you've backed off the throttle some. :)

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're on to something Daboo lol. I hear what you’re saying smedlin, but my milage has definitely gone up. Maybe it's broken in now??

·
Registered
52 Posts
i was finaly able to find some used pipes for sale localy. a set of 3" hard chromes. first of all, i love the sound, loud and with a good tone. i had been running stockers with the baffeles removed. i havent installed a fuel programer as of yet, and overall the poping is not to bad. one bonus i have noticed since installing them a couple of weeks ago is my fuel milage is getting better. now heres my question, i bought the bike in march of last year with only 5000mi on it. i was only able to get 120mi to a tank before the fuel light would come on. the bike now has 19,000mi on it, and i am getting 160mi to a tank before the fuel light comes on. the better milage has only really been quite recent. is it the pipes, and will a fuel processor help improve this even more?

thanks,
The stock Kawi fuel programming is very lean for emissions. You can get away with changing the exhaust without effecting the fuel because the intake assy is so restrictive. Once you change the intake filter assy with an aftermarket unit you will have to change the fuel mapping. Stock with a modified stock exhaust like yours I was seeing 40 to 42 mpg. Once I changed to an aftermarket exhaust and a Baron BAK intake with a proper custom fuel map my MPG dropped to about 30 to 32 MPG. To me it was worth it, my bike was a completely different animal for power and responsiveness. Here is what gets weird. Mine is an open map circuit. (a non California O2 sensor equipped version) Here in St. Louis I see 30 to 32. Once I get into the mountains, depending on elevation I can get over 40 MPG. In STL I get some black smoke when I get into it which means it is a little rich. That should get worse in the mountains but on mine the opposite happens. Weird but whatever. Never bought a 2000 for the MPG. V2Kman

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
I think you're on to something Daboo lol. I hear what you’re saying smedlin, but my milage has definitely gone up. Maybe it's broken in now??
Have to take into account that you dropped some weight. That's the first thing I noticed when I replaced my stock pipes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 2008 gets 140-160 per tank in town. When I get on the open road, I generally see the fuel light come on between 190-200 miles. I have run a tank out within 120, but those times we are playing, quite a bit of stop-start, idling and heavy throttle to the next stop light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts