Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the bike fell off the side stand over the weekend, so its time for a repaint....
here is the bike all disassembled

Black basecoat

Pot of Gold Candy Basecoat

Gold with the tape removed

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
once its dryed ill get it wet sanded and put back together. doesnt look much different then before but the flames used to be vinyl now there painted and the hot raspberry is quite a bit brighter then the candy fire red stock color.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Nicely done!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm almost at the same stage as you are here. Just sprayed my base color and can tell I need to wet sand to get a really nice finish. Never done flames before but I'm going to try it. Maybe you can help me out here. Wet sand with some 1000 or something finer? Wet sand, then flame, then clear correct? So the flames will stick better since it's dried for a day. Or wet sand after flaming to help reduce the difinitive edges on the flames?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Personally I went to the local auto paint supply shop and flipped through their books. Picked out a few colors I liked and could choose low, medium, or high grade paints. I chose medium grade for one of my base, it'll be covered anyway, but the other two are high grade. Just high grade was pretty expensive. I got nissan black, suzuki gun metal silver flake, and chrysler snakeskin green flake.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm almost at the same stage as you are here. Just sprayed my base color and can tell I need to wet sand to get a really nice finish. Never done flames before but I'm going to try it. Maybe you can help me out here. Wet sand with some 1000 or something finer? Wet sand, then flame, then clear correct? So the flames will stick better since it's dried for a day. Or wet sand after flaming to help reduce the difinitive edges on the flames?
bdman - I am a technical rep for DuPont Automotive Finishes and have been in the industry for 18 years. To answer your questions regarding sanding of the base - it will depend on which brand of paint you use, and how long it has dried as to whether or not you will need to sand it. DuPont basecoats require a light sanding after 24 hours, however our european brands like Standox or Spies Hecker do not require any sanding bedore moving to the next step regardless of how long it has been. Regardless, you don't want to do any heavy sanding of the base if you have graphics that you've done. You won't get the line from the flames to go away by sanding the base, you'll just ruin the graphics. Also, any time you sand basecoat you'll need to respray base over it to get rid of the scratches.

If you want to get rid of the line you will need to do all your basecoating (flames, graphics, etc.) and then clear it with 2 to three good coats of clear. Let the clear dry and wet sand it flat (getting the lines and orange peel out)with 800 - 1000 grit wet. Clear it again with 2 to 3 good coats.

To really make it look like a diamond, sand the final clear after it dries with 1500 wet followed by 3000 wet (3M Trizact) and buff it. It will llook like a mirror.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i used duponts hot hues paint the color is hot raspberry candy over pot of gold. on my paint job i painted the tank black then applied the vinyl mask for the flames, sprayed three coats of gold, let it flash for about 45 min then pulled the vinyl mask off as shown in the pics, the candy is a concentrate you mix with clear i sprayed 3 coats of candy let it flash for 20 minutes of so then followed it up with the straight clear. as far as how much paint i used you could maybe get away with a pint of base but its kind of close so i got a quart so i didnt have to worry and now i have extra for touch-ups or if i want to paint a helmet or something to match.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts