Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just picked a 2009 900 burnt orange custom. It's my first bike in about thirty years and so far (about 120 miles on it) I'm quite pleased. It rides and handles very nice. I've been lurking about there is a lot of info out here nice site. When I reach the first service point should I take it in to the dealer for servicing by that I mean are any special tools required. oil changing looks pretty straight forward are there any hidden things to look out for?

After reading the thread on the zurks (I'm not at all sure what was going through the engineers mind) I replaced them with flush fitting Allen screws thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome

Hi all,

I just picked a 2009 900 burnt orange custom. It's my first bike in about thirty years and so far (about 120 miles on it) I'm quite pleased. It rides and handles very nice. I've been lurking about there is a lot of info out here nice site. When I reach the first service point should I take it in to the dealer for servicing by that I mean are any special tools required. oil changing looks pretty straight forward are there any hidden things to look out for?

After reading the thread on the zurks (I'm not at all sure what was going through the engineers mind) I replaced them with flush fitting Allen screws thanks for posting that.
Let me offer you a welcome; I picked up my Custom, a "Midnight Sapphire Blue" on Tuesday of last week. To date I also am very pleased with the ride and handling in the 160 miles to date.

After thirty plus years of riding and I don't know how many bikes, (Suzuki, Ducati, Triumph, Yamaha, and Kawasaki), this 900C is appearing to be the best and will probably not have a stable mate for very long.

Really a very nice ride.

I intend to have the dealer to the 500-600 mile service, but if no problems show up, it will probably be the last service he does.

PS: Welcomes don't seem to be the standard on this forum, so don't feel bad if no else says hello. :confused:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcomes come easily in the New Rider Section.

But, ----WELCOME----To Both Of You

All my services have been done at the dealership, because of the service plan I got. They did make a recal repair, so dealer shops are not all bad. 600 mile service should at least get an Oil Change, and then check all of your connections, nuts, bolts and cables.

Enjoy those 900s.

·
Registered
242 Posts
welcome, the 900 is a great bike. As far as the zerks go, I am about to make that change as well. I can't find anything that is flush fitting though. I only found a hex head bolt that fits. I figure that it will be stronger than the grease fittings if it does happen to scrape.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome, I am new myself. I take delivery of a 900LT red/gold this week. Will be my first Vulcan.

Prior post mentioned the bottom grease fittings that I understand get damaged easily. I read a prior post where a 6mm set screw x 6mm long works well for replacement. Was browsing Home Depot the other day and saw they had 6mm x 8mm long set screws but do not know if that bottoms out before screwing in flush. Also saw 6mm hex heads but that would not be flush.

·
Registered
397 Posts
And a welcome from me too, another new owner. I just took delivery on mine a week ago today, and this afternoon it gets it's first 600 mile service. (Never mind that I'll be actually up to 800 miles by then!)

It's been a fun first week for me with a couple of nice group rides this weekend. Looking forward to a lot of great riding with this 900. Good to have you here! Got any pics yet of that burnt orange Custom?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is when I picked it up last week. The salesman was just coming out to give me the walk around.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome, I am new myself. I take delivery of a 900LT red/gold this week. Will be my first Vulcan.

Prior post mentioned the bottom grease fittings that I understand get damaged easily. I read a prior post where a 6mm set screw x 6mm long works well for replacement. Was browsing Home Depot the other day and saw they had 6mm x 8mm long set screws but do not know if that bottoms out before screwing in flush. Also saw 6mm hex heads but that would not be flush.
Ah, you solved my problem. And in return I will solve/answer you query.

A) Source for set screw is Home Depot, [my question]
B) 8mm length shoud not be a bropklem as I was able to use 6mmx10mmx1.0mm hex head without bottoming out. [your question]

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts