Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my brand new 2019 Vaquero for the first ride, about 1 1/2 hours. Carefully keeping RPMs under 2500, breaking in.
A lot of heat. Riding for 17 years, nothing like this ever on VTX 1300 or my old Suzuki.
After coming home, about 2 hours or so, I touch the engine and it is still hot, not worm but really, really hot, you can't keep your hand on it.
I can't imagine this is normal for Kawasaki.. Or is it?

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
These bikes run very lean and hot from the factory. Ivan's ECU flash (search the forum for it) will add gas to make it run more rich, cooling things off a bit. A rider leather heat shield, sometimes called a crotch cooler, helps too. You can get fancy ones for up to $200 or a simple leather one on Ebay for about $35 - $40. Some folks add a switch so they can manually turn the radiator fan on at a lower coolant temp. But nothing is going to miraculously make it run a lot cooler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
After few more days of riding and adjusting to the 6tth gear the bike is running a lot better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It is always going to run very hot unless it is Ivanized. I was stunned that the temp needle would almost peg when I drove my new Voyager home from the dealer in January in 23 degree F temps. And I added the $40 Ebay leather heat shield too that Sabre mentioned above. Having Ivan reflash the ECU was the best single mod I will ever do to my otherwise bone stock 2016 I bought new. After 2000 miles, I Ivanized and so glad I did. A brand new bike running much cooler, more snappy and OD is so much more effiecient. I can run 1900 rpm just fine in OD. And no need to downshift either to gain speed. Just twist that throttle. And I had warranty work done after BTW. Good luck! Ivan's Performance Products

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
I went from a VStar 1100 (air cooled) to a liquid cooled Nomad. I find the Nomad throws off a LOT more heat than the Yamaha did, especially idling in traffic. It's not as bad when riding but I was once stopped for several minutes for construction on a hot day and had to get off until we started moving. I never had to do that with the air cooled Yamaha.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just took my brand new 2019 Vaquero for the first ride, about 1 1/2 hours. Carefully keeping RPMs under 2500, breaking in.
A lot of heat. Riding for 17 years, nothing like this ever on VTX 1300 or my old Suzuki.
After coming home, about 2 hours or so, I touch the engine and it is still hot, not worm but really, really hot, you can't keep your hand on it.
After it has a couple thousand miles on the clock it will run cooler.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I went from a VStar 1100 (air cooled) to a liquid cooled Nomad. I find the Nomad throws off a LOT more heat than the Yamaha did, especially idling in traffic. It's not as bad when riding but I was once stopped for several minutes for construction on a hot day and had to get off until we started moving. I never had to do that with the air cooled Yamaha.
I had a used 2004 V Star 1100 Custom for 6 trouble free years. Great bike once I replaced the OEM seat. But as my riding turned mostly into road trips, I wanted a bike with more storage and some bells and whistles. The Voyager was a great pick for me. And yes.....the air cooled Star ran a lot cooler!

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
My water cooled 1100 Honda Sabre did not feel as hot as my Voyager, but an 1100 is less than 2/3s the size of a 1700, so naturally, a 1700 will throw off more heat. The fairing and nacelles block a lot of air flow, making it even hotter.

When I was sitting at a stoplight on the Sabre and the fan came on, I instantly felt the heat. The radiator being forward and concentrating then throwing all that heat back at the rider is probably why air cooled bikes don't seem quite as hot, too, when engine size is equal. That's my theory, anyway.

I test rode my Voyager with no KAMS on it. I purchased the KAMS and had it installed before I took the bike home. The KAMS makes a big difference by channeling all that hot air away from the rider. It's still a very hot bike to ride, but much better than it was.

No matter what I have done to the Voyager, it has always been a much hotter bike to ride than the Sabre was, even when I had a batwing fairing, lowers, etc. on the Sabre. I rode the Sabre across the Mojave in 120+° temps. With a cooling vest and plenty of water, it wasn't terrible. I don't think I would ever want to try that on the Voyager.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I don't believe these bikes actually run hot, they just throw the heat at the rider more than some. I road a VN900 for 10 yrs and never had a heat problem with it, but noticed the heat on my Vaquero the day I brought it home. A little research showed that both bikes run the same thermostat temp so they should be running pretty much the same internal temps. The 1700 has much more mass in the jugs and heads so it's bound to throw more heat at the rider. I may just have gotten used to it, but with about 17k miles I don't notice the heat as much now and this year I've done a lot of riding in 95+ F temps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These bikes run very lean and hot from the factory. Ivan's ECU flash (search the forum for it) will add gas to make it run more rich, cooling things off a bit. A rider leather heat shield, sometimes called a crotch cooler, helps too. You can get fancy ones for up to $200 or a simple leather one on Ebay for about $35 - $40. Some folks add a switch so they can manually turn the radiator fan on at a lower coolant temp. But nothing is going to miraculously make it run a lot cooler.
i ordered vance and hines slip ons, and a dynojet power commander, before i saw this thread... is the power commander going to do the same thing as ivan's flash? or what should i do? thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
My only comment is that all the folks who had a PC on their Voyagers on the FB page I am on took them off and had Ivan reflash. They try to sell them and have a hard time even giving them away. Ivan is just so simple...plug and play....and does things like change the temp the fan motor comes on. I am sure you have looked at Ivan's 1700 webpage.....all the ills of the OEM ECU my brand new 2016 I experienced. I was so disappointed in a 1700 motor beind such a dog. I Ivanized at the 2000 mile mark and WOW...brand new bike on my otherwise bone stock bike. If you have not installed the PC yet and can return it, I would strongly suggest that. My 2 cents. Welcome to the group!

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
i ordered vance and hines slip ons, and a dynojet power commander, before i saw this thread... is the power commander going to do the same thing as ivan's flash? or what should i do? thanks
I think Ivan's flash takes care of a few things that fuel controllers don't. Besides adjusting the fuel to the injectors, the flash also lowers the temperature that the fan comes and goes off, I believe, and probably some other things.

I bought a Dobeck EKJ fuel controller before I heard about the flash. I'm happy with it and can't justify throwing it out (can't sell it; nobody wants 'em with the flash available) and spending even more on the flash when my bike runs well enough for me with the EJK. If I had known about the flash before I spent money on the EJK, I would probably have gone that route.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had to sell my 2011 because I live in FL and the heat was so bad my balls caught on fire..lol
there is a fix for I think 400 dollars, dealers can put on the same thing that is on the voyager, check it out

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I had to sell my 2011 because I live in FL and the heat was so bad my balls caught on fire..lol
there is a fix for I think 400 dollars, dealers can put on the same thing that is on the voyager, check it out
I may be wrong, but I don't think the KAMS (the system that diverts hot air from the radiator and cylinders away from the rider) can be installed on a Vaquero. I did have it installed on my 2010 Voyager.

Reactions: auwing1978
1 - 15 of 15 Posts