Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of new to this forum and now new to ownership of a 2014 Vulcan Voyager 1700.

Great color scheme - graphite grey on black.

Ive not got many miles on her since Tuesday this week as the weather has been miserable and I want to run those tires in on the dry tarmac first.

So my very first cruiser, always had street bikes and so far love the weight and balance of the big girl. Taking some getting used to the clunky gear change but hopefully will smooth out a little as she wears in. I'm told all big V-twins are the same regardless of make or model. Could be worse,could have bought a Harley!!

So many more posts to follow (hopefully someone can tell me how to shrink the photos down enough to post here) and I'm riding out of Oakland County Michigan if anyone is in my area and fancys meeting up sometime.

Thanks guys

Russ (Brit from across the pond!!)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I got mine in july, a left 2012 model. Be prepared for a rear tire at about 6500 mies, just replaced my front at a little over 11,000. Your mpg will improve some as it loosens up. I moved up from an 05 800b and never regretted it yet although I still have the 800 and itend to keep it. Congrats on your new purchase, there are many miles of smiles in store ahead.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I use infranview (free) to manipulate the size of my pictures for forums upload. Have been using it for 15 years or so. I use it to resize them to 640x480 for upload in here. Then use the attachment tab (the thing that looks like a paperclip up top of the edit page) to up load. After uploading all the pics you want to upload, you close the upload window and then go back to the attachment tab and then add your attachments. It will place them wherever your cursor happens to be on the edit page. So make sure it was where you wanted to insert them.

Or you can always use another picture storage location like photobucket and then use a link to get the photo.

Your Voyager is the same color as my 2011.

Yes on the clunky gear changes.

This is the attached photo using the forum editor

DSCN1651.jpg

This is a linked photo using photobucket...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Russy... Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forums, alot of great information on here, and alot that will get you in trouble (or at least your wallet)
You may also want to check out Vulcan Bagger Association at http://www.vulcanbagger.org/ alot of information there as well

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New ride

Thanks for the great information guys, I will be sure to look them both up.

I am really looking forward to some summer riding so in a group will be real neat, thanks once again

Russ

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
...Taking some getting used to the clunky gear change
That loud clunk into first is the audio cue for the driver ahead of me at the the stoplight. Maybe they'll put down the phone for a sec, pay attention to traffic and drive.

My 1700 now has 5K miles still sounds the same.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Photobucket

Hi Bubba,

I've tried everything in photobucket to upload an image, everytime it tells me the URL addess is not correct, even copying it straight from their suggested format.

I have also tried copying the photo, cropping, resizing and still too large.

Any 'basic' help would be great.

Russ

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
When you resize the picture resize it to 640/480 pixles.... Infranview has that size as one of its options in the image resize tab. Photobucket is only a place to hold your images/videos. You need to tell the forum editor where to go get it using the insert link option. The little world with a two link chain on it. .

Are you trying to insert picture or insert URL? You need to use the insert URL option to get the photobucket image....

Then use the address location indicated by the arrow in this attached pic.

Capture3.jpg

That speed limit sign is from my times going to the Bonneville Salt Flats, which was not far from where I lived in Nevada. Right at the Nevada/Utah (in Utah) border north east of where I lived.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Wow! They are still making the Voyager?

Congrats! Got almost 45,000 miles on my '10. Not the bike I would choose if I could only have one, but I do enjoy it and it is the only one my wife will ride on.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Wow! They are still making the Voyager? Six years. Who woulda thunk it?

Congrats! Got almost 45,000 miles on my '10. Not the bike I would choose if I could only have one, but I do enjoy it and it is the only one my wife will ride on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Tanker, I'm getting used to her, only been 5 days!!

Gear box is a mare but once you accept the fact it is going to clunk no matter how hard you try then it gets easier to live with.

I'm real happy with the color (Graphite gray and black) and the styling, first big crusier I have owned.

I've booked my hotel for Sturgis, hoping to have a blast there!

Cheers

Russ

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dust Cover

Hi All,

Just thought I would put this out there for anyone looking for a dust cover for their Voyager.

I just bought this from Amazon for my new girl.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SNBSMI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Cost $35.00 inclusive of postage.

Take the aerial off and it fits great, nice material and good plastic coated small bungie clips to tie underneath.

So far a good buy, I am only using as a dust cover though in the garage so cant comment on waterproof abilities.

Russ

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Congrats and enjoy!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hi All,

Just thought I would put this out there for anyone looking for a dust cover for their Voyager.

I just bought this from Amazon for my new girl.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SNBSMI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cost $35.00 inclusive of postage.

Take the aerial off and it fits great, nice material and good plastic coated small bungie clips to tie underneath.

So far a good buy, I am only using as a dust cover though in the garage so cant comment on waterproof abilities.

Russ

Be careful of the antenna. If you don't secure it tight and with some kind of lock washer every time you put it back on you will miss it when it's gone. Mother Kaw is very proud of the stubby as well. They are $$$....

Do a search and you will find a lot of disgruntled owners who had antennae's sucked up by aliens. I ended up with a HD whip for $10 and it actually gets better reception than the stubby OEM.

I would also suggest checking the stickys for shorting wires. The key harness under the front of the tank is a biggie..

Still a great bike but just know the little things and fix before fail.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can actually get the dust cover over with the antenna on so going to invest in some thread lock to keep the antenna where it needs to be - on the back of the bike!

Thanks for all the encouragement and good advice out there.

Russ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts