Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I pick up a 2008 Custom with 1200 miles on it tomorrow. Around the middle of July I'll be going on a 1600+ mile trip over a 3 day period. Bike has fork bag, windsheild, V&H slashcut staggards, PCIII, iso grips, and a throttle boss. I've ridded for 8 years now but this will be my first big trip. My last trip that got anywhere close was about 400 miles on a suzuki sv50 (pretty painful) Is there any quirks typical to this bike or anything I should look at, check occasionally for this bike? bike has already beern serviced and it will probably get an oil change when i return. thanks guys!!

oh, there will be pics!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Are you sure that the bike had it's 600 mile service? Oil change? I usually buy used, and first thing I do is change oil so I have a base line to start at. It's cheap insurance for longevity, so my advice would be to change before moving out on the 1600 mile trip unless you are sure of the maintenance records from the previous owner. I would not trust a dealer to have changed oil before resale.........I am a high mileage owner, with nothing in my stable under 100,000 miles as I write this except my Kow, and I expect it to make it up to that number in a couple of years. I attribute my good service, (Jeep, Honda, Chevy) to the 3000 mile oil changes. Nursed my old Honda civic up to 362000 miles before I broke a rear axle on it. 2 Jeeps over 160,000 miles and counting. Kow at 8000 miles and counting with a smile every day that it ticks up....:)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it from a private seller, he has the receipt for the service. I might still go ahead and change it before I head out though, after I throw a few miles on her. I got a little less than a month to rack as many miles up as possible.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sean,

One of the things that you will notice pretty quick is that the seat requires getting off of every 1-2 hours. I recently completed my first long trip ever and learned a lot. If you are using a GPS, make sure it's routing makes sense. They frequently send you in circles in the cities that you are passing through. If traveling with someone else, a communication system is a real plus. If traveling in a warm climate, get a good mesh jacket. After several days of high heat and humidity in Southern Ohio, we went out for a ride in WVa on old narrow roads and figured it would be okay to skip the jackets. After watching and feeling the nurse pick the gravel out of my elbow, I would hesitate to ride without a jacket except in the most innocent of environments (and maybe not then either).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks you. i will be riding alone but i've driven the same course many many times.i already have a mesh jacket that ill be wearing. like i said ive been riding for YEARS just never over 400 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It might be hard to pack all your gear in a fork bag! Whenever your get soar stop asap because you might not get a break as planned. If you are not travelling on a familiar route take lots of breaks and don't hesitate to get fuel. Rain suit and a tire repair kit are also on the list plus CASH just incase the plastic does not work. The main thing is to enjoy your self and don't push your limits. As for the bike, keep your oil fresh and tire pressure up and you are ready to go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts