Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit I've been pretty slack about fork maintenance, but I just had both tires off to replace with new Commander ll's. I was surprised at how easy it is to remove the forks actually. I didn't completely dismantle them this time, just drained the old oil out, stroked them about a dozen times, and then added the required amount to bring the oil up to the level specified in the service manual. I will tear them right down at my next tire change. You wouldn't believe how black and thick the old oil was. It makes all the difference in the world with new oil and new tires. My stem bearings were good also. I can now loosen my grip on the bars at any speed and it no longer begins to shake. I attribute most of that to tires. If you're on the fence about doing your forks, fear not as it's pretty easy and makes a big difference.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Good to know! Glad that it made a difference.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every 2 years per the manual on my 1500FI.
Ya that sounds about right. After seeing first hand how black and thick mine was I'll be doing mine about that often too

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Okay so maybe the Hardley guys have it right. Spend a lot of money on a cool looking bike and just look at it........Naw! I'll work on mine so when I'm draggin hard parts with that silly ear to ear grin I know its as good as it gets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Okay so maybe the Hardley guys have it right. Spend a lot of money on a cool looking bike and just look at it........Naw! I'll work on mine so when I'm draggin hard parts with that silly ear to ear grin I know its as good as it gets.
Forkin right! Cheers, :devil2:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Love my Michelin Commanders front and rear. Higher mileage and love going through the snakes on road now. I have always put Michelin tires on my bike and cars as I prefer them over anything else. Maybe a bit rougher ride as they are a harder compound tire but to me they perform allot better than others and I am not changing tires so often I can ride not have bike in the shop.

Works for me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts