Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new set of ME880's installed today on my Custom. 90/90-21 on the front and that was a tight fit and 200/70-15 on the back, not so tight. Didn't get to ride it to far, was dodging rain on the way home. Also put the Dyna Beads in the back tire, front tire didn't need anything when he put it on the balancer it showed 00. Think I got a good price, $120 front and $270 rear tire and only charged $60 to install both.
He should have charged extra because I was always in his way.:)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Do you have a before and after picture for the rear tire.
I'm curious about the difference in appearance between the two.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got home, no pictures yet, but it looks almost the same as far as size. It doesn't appear to be that much wider then the original but I know it is.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Did you change over from the crappy dunlops, bet there was big difference in the ride and handling? I changed to pirelli's and I will never go back to dunlop.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Do you have a before and after picture for the rear tire.
I'm curious about the difference in appearance between the two.
the 200 is slightly wider and about 1 -1/2 inches taller.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May have made a mistake going with the larger front tire. Had to take the fender off and do some modifications to fender support bracket because the tire started to rub. Still happy with the tires after the mod, and after riding a couple of hundred miles will never go back to the original brand. The Metzlers are the way to go.

·
Registered
430 Posts
May have made a mistake going with the larger front tire. Had to take the fender off and do some modifications to fender support bracket because the tire started to rub. Still happy with the tires after the mod, and after riding a couple of hundred miles will never go back to the original brand. The Metzlers are the way to go.
what mod did you have to do to the bracket? i am thinking of going 90/90 in the front also

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you look at the fender it is held on the fender brace with four screws. Those screws are threaded into the fender brace bolts (there not really bolts, but look like washers with threads). Those washers are welded to the fender brace and stick out maybe 1/8" inside the brace. I had to grind down those four washers almost to the point of them being flat against the inside surface of the brace. That was the only way to make room for the fatter tire. It just barely rubbed but any rub would make me nuts. I actually didn't notice it until my son saw tiny rubber specks on the front shocks. After having to do all this, if I'd have known what was going to happen, I'd probably have stayed with the 80-90 tire. From a looks perspective the 80-90 and 90-90 look the same.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's interesting. I put the Met 90/90 on my '07 and didn't need to change anything. If I pick up a pebble in the tread I'll hear it scrape the inside of the fender so I've been considering the mod you did. But the tire doesn't touch anything. Also I disagree about the look. The way the 90 fills the fender it looks massive after the 80. I still do a double-take when I see a Custom with the OEM tire on the front. It looks tiny to me now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve-I guess you just have to decide whether you want the aggrivation or not. I like the larger tire too, but like I said. if I knew what I was going to have to put up with I would have opt for the smaller tire. It will have to be up to the rest of the people who replace their tires if they want the possible extra work.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I elongated the four mounting holes of the fender brace which then allowed me to raise the fender. Doing that also allowed me to rock the fender until the leading tip and the trailing tip of the fender were equal distance from the tire. I'm running the Pirelli Night Dragon MH90-21

1 - 12 of 12 Posts