Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: Just joined this forum as I have purchased a new 1700 vulcan classic LT on Saturday and am not sure if it has a problem or not.
I am getting a very noticable vibration on acceleration especially in 4th,
5th and 6th gears and the vibration is also noticed when cruising under load such as going up a slight grade.
If I agressivly roll on the throttle it is even worse and feels like my harley ultra classic when sitting at idle and vibrating.
As I said this bike is a brand new leftover 2009 and only has 220 miles on it so I hope a member who is familiar with this model and engine size can give me their thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance

mrfixit

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi: Just joined this forum as I have purchased a new 1700 vulcan classic LT on Saturday and am not sure if it has a problem or not.
I am getting a very noticable vibration on acceleration especially in 4th,
5th and 6th gears and the vibration is also noticed when cruising under load such as going up a slight grade.
If I agressivly roll on the throttle it is even worse and feels like my harley ultra classic when sitting at idle and vibrating.
As I said this bike is a brand new leftover 2009 and only has 220 miles on it so I hope a member who is familiar with this model and engine size can give me their thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance

mrfixit
What speed are you going in each gear?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Your probably doing the same thing I am doing with this new Voyager. Lugging it too much. I was used to a Yamaha Venture... You could start out in 4th gear on it.. NOT this Voyager. It does vibrate a LOT when you lug it down I have noticed. But do check to see if it was part of the ECU recall and if so if it was done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
speed question

What speed are you going in each gear?
I am going about 50mph in 4th gear and if I shift into 5th at that speed or even about 60mph the vibration is very rough so since this bike does not have a tach I have no way of knowing if it just needs a lower gear at these speeds other than shifting until I find its "sweet spot"
I owned 2 Yamaha Virago 1100's and my Harley ultra classic and none of these bikes have the severe vibration the Vulcan has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
recall check

Your probably doing the same thing I am doing with this new Voyager. Lugging it too much. I was used to a Yamaha Venture... You could start out in 4th gear on it.. NOT this Voyager. It does vibrate a LOT when you lug it down I have noticed. But do check to see if it was part of the ECU recall and if so if it was done.

I did check the VIN and there is no recall for my bike listed

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am going about 50mph in 4th gear and if I shift into 5th at that speed or even about 60mph the vibration is very rough so since this bike does not have a tach
With my '10 Voyager, 5th in 50 or 60 is not loading it down much- I don't recall the tach at those speeds but I do it all the time. Yes, if I really try to hit it full throttle at those speeds, it will shudder a bit, but not a violent vibration at all. I'd take it to the dealer- something doesn't sound right. I'll specifically try this test tomorrow and get back to you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am going about 50mph in 4th gear and if I shift into 5th at that speed or even about 60mph the vibration is very rough so since this bike does not have a tach I have no way of knowing if it just needs a lower gear at these speeds other than shifting until I find its "sweet spot"
I owned 2 Yamaha Virago 1100's and my Harley ultra classic and none of these bikes have the severe vibration the Vulcan has.
I would take it back and let the dealer ride it, somethings not right and your still under warranty. Under heavy acceleration at that speed you should have some v-twin character but nothing like that.

Good luck and keep us posted, I haven't really heard of many real problems with the 1700's, mostly complaints about noise and heat. They did a change on the heat shields and there was a recall on the ECU, make sure you have the updated one.
James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts