Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, July 2016
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all. two weeks ago I picked up a 2013 Vulcan 900 classic. I originally wanted to get a 900LT but when I saw that the 2013 plain jane classic had little to no crome and a blacked out engine and frame, I immediately changed my mind. That and when I saw the non locking leather saddle bags on the LT that only have a 5lb capacity each, I was less than impressed.

So this is what I'm calling Phase 0: Stock

Attachments

·
BOTM Winner, July 2016
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
more pics of the new bike. and so far I've ridden 285 miles:
Day 1: 40 miles
Day 2: 85 miles (and got caught in the rain twice)
Day 3: 100 miles (50 to work 50 back)
Day 4: 60 ( 30 each way to the stealer ship for the first oil change)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Nice looking bike. Welcome to the site.

·
BOTM Winner, July 2016
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, I've already got my first round of accessories/mods in progress. I should have it done by monday or tuesday.

And a few observations:
1: The new design of the seat is wonderfull. I never rode on the old one, but so far the longest ride I have done is 1.5 hours non stop with no butt pain.
2: speedo might be more accurate. on the way home from the dealer my friend followed me in my car, 45 on the bike was 45 in the car and 55 ion the bike was 55 in the car.
3: I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall and about 360lbs, and the bike fiits me wondrfully. before I left the dealer ship I had them bump the preload from 4 to 6. But I think it might be too high
when I hit moderate bumps my whole body gets jarred pretty hard. 7 is the tall notch and 1 is the short notch correct?

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
You are correct on the settings. I have mine at 7 and weigh 280lbs and no complaints. I wish my 2011 Classic would've have the blacked out engine as well. I love that color on yours. What mods are you planning on adding/doing?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
the 5 lb rating is more for the brackets and liability issues than the bags, having said that, both my bikes use the stock LT brackets with no issues, I find they are the best brackets available regardless of what bags you use and I sure put a lot more than 5 lbs in them. .... BTW, that's a nice looking ride.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
5lb capacity? Nobody told me!

Two weeks worth of clothes for two people, a tripod, DSLR with lenses, laptop, tools, extra straps and cords, toiletries, and that's just what's on TOP. The saddlebags themselves were FULL of rain gear, tools, spare parts, etc. AND, hanging off of the LT sissy bar is a backpack with a mini-cooler full of ice and water, some suncreen, first aid kit, and snacks!

That was from last year when the wife and I did a 2,500 miles trip on my LT. It now has hard bags and a tour pak on it, but still. Don't put too much stock on the 5lb capacity. It has a lot more to do with how weight will change the handling of the bike, than whether or not the bags can handle the weight. I saw on my buddies Harley-Davidson Ultra-Classic with big heavy mounts that the saddlebags SIT ON TOP OF, big locking backs with a metal rack around them, that they are only 'rated' for 15 lbs. The Tour Pak for like 10 lbs. All for the same reason. It DOES change the way the bike handles, and they don't want a lawsuit!

Anyway- WELCOME! And good lookin' bike!

Oh, after last years trip I bought my wife her own bike. So this year I got to pack the bike like this :p

Got the trailer hitch ordered for next year, LOL!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't know how much weight I have had in the bags, but it is way beyond five pounds. Around here you get that just in liquids pretty fast.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT, 2007 SeaRay 185, nine children, one wife.
you don't need a boat ... you need a ocean liner .... Yikes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ocean liner

you don't need a boat ... you need a ocean liner .... Yikes.
I am down to just two under 18, only four in the house and one of them is engaged. What can I say, they just kept coming. No I don't know what causes that since the last two were adopted.

·
BOTM Winner, July 2016
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thank-you all for the warm welcome. First round of mods/accessories are in progress as we speak. should have them installed some time next week as I have the whole week off for the 4th. But as far as the over all goal, I'm going for a 900 LT/1700 Nomad kind of look.

Didn't really think of the liability issue, I just remember looking at an LT at a dealership and opening up the bag and seeing the classic orange/black warning sticker stating 5lb capacity.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thank-you all for the warm welcome. First round of mods/accessories are in progress as we speak. should have them installed some time next week as I have the whole week off for the 4th. But as far as the over all goal, I'm going for a 900 LT/1700 Nomad kind of look.

Didn't really think of the liability issue, I just remember looking at an LT at a dealership and opening up the bag and seeing the classic orange/black warning sticker stating 5lb capacity.
Yeah well. The manual also says not to pull a trailer; and whiting does that (And I will be this fall). Lots of folks exceed the weight limit (you will at 360 if you put on a passenger! I do too with a passenger) of the bike. It's all very conservative liability junk. You've just gotta use your head. Some of it is good info you should follow; others; just realize the 'why' and figure out what to do!

Looks good man! Can't wait to see how it progresses!

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Nice bike. I saw one like that at the dealer. Sat on it and liked it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts