Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Excited to join this group. I’m 72, I've owned mini bikes, scooters, motorcycles since I was 14. I've Always owned standard, sportstouring machines. My last 3 being BMW RT‘s since 1988. Yes I keep what I like a long time. I experienced a workshop/garage fire last August. My beloved 2008 BMW R1200 RT was destroyed. At 72 it’s been a difficult decision if I want another bike. Don’t ride like I use to but I enjoyed errands and long weekend rides. That being said I’ve searched at first for another BMW. But I recently ran across an ad on a 2009 Vulcan Classic LT with 13,050 miles at a reasonable price for me. The owner recently experienced a mild heart attack and not recommended he ride for a while. Garage kept. Appears very clean no rust. Standard equipment other than the windshild replaced with a CBaily windshield and clear hand guards. I test drove it. It runs very well. All seems normal. Not use to a cruiser style. While on the test run i was not comfortable leaning into corners? Felt like I couldn’t lean like Im use to? I was expecting this sort of thing But maybe just had a top heavy feeling? Not sure? But was very steady on the straight line. No noticeable vibrations. So my question is to owners of these fine machines would you say this is normal, handling and will just take’s adjusting from riding a sport touring bike to a cruiser? The tire’s appear good but i would say over 50% worn. Look hard and dry. I would replace with new ones which should improve handling. I am certainly use to more power but for what I need for now I believe this would do just fine. Appreciate any and all information. Thank you.

· Registered
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500
31 Posts
Hello. Excited to join this group. I’m 72, I've owned mini bikes, scooters, motorcycles since I was 14. I've Always owned standard, sportstouring machines. My last 3 being BMW RT‘s since 1988. Yes I keep what I like a long time. I experienced a workshop/garage fire last August. My beloved 2008 BMW R1200 RT was destroyed. At 72 it’s been a difficult decision if I want another bike. Don’t ride like I use to but I enjoyed errands and long weekend rides. That being said I’ve searched at first for another BMW. But I recently ran across an ad on a 2009 Vulcan Classic LT with 13,050 miles at a reasonable price for me. The owner recently experienced a mild heart attack and not recommended he ride for a while. Garage kept. Appears very clean no rust. Standard equipment other than the windshild replaced with a CBaily windshield and clear hand guards. I test drove it. It runs very well. All seems normal. Not use to a cruiser style. While on the test run i was not comfortable leaning into corners? Felt like I couldn’t lean like Im use to? I was expecting this sort of thing But maybe just had a top heavy feeling? Not sure? But was very steady on the straight line. No noticeable vibrations. So my question is to owners of these fine machines would you say this is normal, handling and will just take’s adjusting from riding a sport touring bike to a cruiser? The tire’s appear good but i would say over 50% worn. Look hard and dry. I would replace with new ones which should improve handling. I am certainly use to more power but for what I need for now I believe this would do just fine. Appreciate any and all information. Thank you.
Hi Rupert - your riding concerns make me think the tires are under inflated. I got my first Kawasaki last April, and really enjoying it. DP

· Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
2,356 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania. I have always owned sport bikes and my first ride on my Vulcan S did feel a little unusual, feet forward instead of back, different reach, etc. However I didn't feel overly awkward leaning as much as just getting used to the seating position. Obviously different vulcans being compared, and it does have an adjustment period, but I do agree that if the tire inflation is off or other simple things need adjustment it can throw off the handling quite a bit and feel unstable.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
I have had mine for many years. I too keep what i like. I have also ridden many different types of bikes.
Switching from a BMW to the 900 will feel strange. seat position height, foot position and reach are all way different on the 900 vs the k1200.
Once you adjust the bike will roll into corners with confidence. No you cant lean it as far as you can the BMW but you should be going fast enough to need to either LOL.
I have ridden the k1200 and its a solid bike but i would trade my 900 for one just a much more relaxed ride.

As for the tires under inflation is possible.
When going to replace the only suggestion i have is DO NOT GET DUNLOPS!

I have had multiple brands on my bike at this point and i can say the dunlops are the worse tire I have ever had. Not just bad dangerous. Loved Michelins and metzlers, perillis and shinkos have pretty good reviews from other fellow riders of the 900

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Rupert - your riding concerns make me think the tires are under inflated. I got my first Kawasaki last April, and really enjoying it. DP
Thank you for your comment. What about taking long trips involving several days to a week. Have you done any? My last ride on my BMW R1200 RT i rode from central Texas to Branson Mo. 13:hours with a passenge my niece 38 yrs old. First time to take such a long time in the saddle 🥲 not bad on the beemer.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome from Pennsylvania. I have always owned sport bikes and my first ride on my Vulcan S did feel a little unusual, feet forward instead of back, different reach, etc. However I didn't feel overly awkward leaning as much as just getting used to the seating position. Obviously different vulcans being compared, and it does have an adjustment period, but I do agree that if the tire inflation is off or other simple things need adjustment it can throw off the handling quite a bit and feel unstable.
Thank you I plan on checking those things asap

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had mine for many years. I too keep what i like. I have also ridden many different types of bikes.
Switching from a BMW to the 900 will feel strange. seat position height, foot position and reach are all way different on the 900 vs the k1200.
Once you adjust the bike will roll into corners with confidence. No you cant lean it as far as you can the BMW but you should be going fast enough to need to either LOL.
I have ridden the k1200 and its a solid bike but i would trade my 900 for one just a much more relaxed ride.

I have had multiple brands on my bike at this point and i can say the dunlops are the worse tire I have ever had. Not just bad dangerous. Loved Michelins and metzlers, perillis and shinkos have pretty good reviews from other fellow riders of the 900
Thank you I’ll remember that about the Dunlops.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
I have done several multi day trips on the 900.
Comfort tips are as follows
Get a better seat the stock one is not good for longer rides.
2 up the bike will not gain speed fast on steep grades. It will go but just don't expect it to have a ton up pick up on a steep grade while 2 up.
My wife rides with me all the time we are about 400 lbs. together plus what ever I have in saddle bags and trunk probably another 50 lbs.
If your under that then it may have more juice just my experience.
Its a good bike but don't expect it to have the power the K1300 had

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yes the feet forward was strange. I think that and going into turns le me with uneasy feelings.

· Registered
2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
25 Posts
I bought my first bike ever this last fall, and it is a 2006 Vulcan classic 900. I took a motorcycle basic safety course before purchasing that allowed me to try out a few different styled bikes. I must say the cruiser style was probably the most difficult to corner with in my opinion. I think just the slightly different seating position and center of balance a little further back may be the reason. I found the sport bike, a Honda cbr 500 was the easiest to handle, where you are sitting upright and slightly forward. But hey I am still new to riding and have lots to learn. I think you will get used to the vulcan and have no problems, I really love mine.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought my first bike ever this last fall, and it is a 2006 Vulcan classic 900. I took a motorcycle basic safety course before purchasing that allowed me to try out a few different styled bikes. I must say the cruiser style was probably the most difficult to corner with in my opinion. I think just the slightly different seating position and center of balance a little further back may be the reason. I found the sport bike, a Honda cbr 500 was the easiest to handle, where you are sitting upright and slightly forward. But hey I am still new to riding and have lots to learn. I think you will get used to the vulcan and have no problems, I really love mine.
Danepool-Thank you. Just the kind of handling information I was looking for. I have been riding 59 years. I felt like a newbie trying to go into corners. Others have basically told me the same. Something to get adjusted to. I here many say somewhat low on power. Shows up on mountainous and hilly terrain and with 2 up? Has this been a problem for you? Have you gone on any road trips of a day or more? Thank you.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have done several multi day trips on the 900.
Comfort tips are as follows
Get a better seat the stock one is not good for longer rides.
2 up the bike will not gain speed fast on steep grades. It will go but just don't expect it to have a ton up pick up on a steep grade while 2 up.
My wife rides with me all the time we are about 400 lbs. together plus what ever I have in saddle bags and trunk probably another 50 lbs.
If your under that then it may have more juice just my experience.
Its a good bike but don't expect it to have the power the K1300 had
Plee911-Thank you. Great information. I've made up my mind. I think I'm going to give it a try. As clean a bike as it is I should not have trouble selling if I find its not for me. All my BMW RT's have been very comfortable and I never had an issue with power. So we'll just see. Any maintenance issues to share? How have the shim and bucket valve clearance's done for you? Thank you!

· Registered
2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
25 Posts
Danepool-Thank you. Just the kind of handling information I was looking for. I have been riding 59 years. I felt like a newbie trying to go into corners. Others have basically told me the same. Something to get adjusted to. I here many say somewhat low on power. Shows up on mountainous and hilly terrain and with 2 up? Has this been a problem for you? Have you gone on any road trips of a day or more? Thank you.
2 up ? Not sure what that means lol. 1st is down and rest is up ? No haven't gone on any long trips yet or through any moutainous terrain. I can't see it being a problem though, seems to be lots of power there to me, but if you're used to bigger engines maybe you will notice it. My 900 seems like there should be 6th gear, but there isn't , the power is there.

· Registered
2021 Vulcan Voyager
370 Posts
Howdy from south central Texas, Glad you are here.
I have a 2007 900 and will say @Plee911 has it just right. I used my for a commuter, about 100 miles a day and it can get a bit uncomfortable by the end of an hour on the road. So, Yes change the seat. For 2 up the wife felt every bump on the stock seat and we had the power issues mentioned on steeper hills. Straight highway we were fine and could keep up with traffic no problem. Due to her medical issues and still wanting to ride we stepped up to the Voyager in August, the ride is smoother and I love the 6th gear for the highway commute. I do miss the better MPG of the 900 though.
The forward riding style is something to get used to, but once you do I think you will find you can handle this bike as well as any other.
By the way, where are you in Texas? I am in New Braunfels. There are several of us in the San Antonio to Austin area.

· Registered
205 Posts
Welcome from Lil Ole Delaware! I went from my first bike (cruiser) to a 2010 Classic LT and it felt top heavy to me as well. You'll get used to it quickly, just like any different bike. Also, I am very happy with mine. I contemplated selling it at the end of the summer due to not riding it but things changed in my schedule and I can ride more often.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Howdy from south central Texas, Glad you are here.
I have a 2007 900 and will say @Plee911 has it just right. I used my for a commuter, about 100 miles a day and it can get a bit uncomfortable by the end of an hour on the road. So, Yes change the seat. For 2 up the wife felt every bump on the stock seat and we had the power issues mentioned on steeper hills. Straight highway we were fine and could keep up with traffic no problem. Due to her medical issues and still wanting to ride we stepped up to the Voyager in August, the ride is smoother and I love the 6th gear for the highway commute. I do miss the better MPG of the 900 though.
The forward riding style is something to get used to, but once you do I think you will find you can handle this bike as well as any other.
By the way, where are you in Texas? I am in New Braunfels. There are several of us in the San Antonio to Austin area.
Hello IC3/SS, I picked up the 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT today. 13,050 miles. Appreciate the information. I went for a short ride after bringing her home. I was much more relaxed and it was a much better feeling ride this time. Only time will tell. Not to concerned about a passenger. I was widowed last October. Covid hit us both. Im so thankful to the Lord for life. My wife didn’t recover. Adjusting to single life after 45 years together. She was precious and a joy to be with. Me and my children and grandchildren miss her greatly. The grandchildren were excited to see my “NEW” motorcycle! I’m not sure how much riding I will be doing. I have become official babysitter and school transportation daily now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts