Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just bought a new to me '08 Vulcan 900 classic last Thursday. I love it. got a great deal on it with under 5k miles 'cause it had a little rust. darn, guess i'm *forced* to buy some aftermarket chrome with the money I saved.
I'll be taking it out on a short 400 mile ride on Wednesday, but beforehand, I'd like to take off the windshield (never been a fan), so my question is, if I take of the OEM windshield, will I need shorter bolts for the turn signal brackets?
I already said it - but, I love this bike. I did a lot of research on this forum prior to purchasing it, so, thank you all for the shared knowledge.
The high revs on the highway don't bother me - but, I upgraded from a Honda rebel 250, where trying to keep up with traffic meant full throttle, the little engine screaming, and me not really going anywhere. still, it was a good little bike. took it on a 2000 mile trip last winter. it didn't handle the weight of the luggage very well, but it got the job done. anyhow, my new bike- rides like a dream. I giggle when I twist the throttle. It's name is Agrajab, for those that don't know- it's a creature from the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, it was killed hundreds or thousands of times by Arthur Dent, but was always re-incarnated.
planned upgrades:
considering the big 3. aftermarket mirrors and chrome radiator grill/cover are needed, cause that's where most of the rust is. a better seat is desperately needed. windshield has gotta go. better tires, it still has stock dunlops. perhaps iso handgrips. maybe handlebars from a custom. i would have purchased a custom, but the deal on this bike was too good to pass up.
heh. i'm rambling. hello, all!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Hello!

First off, have you done a long trip without a windshield before? I could do without mine on short jaunts but lemme tell ya, it's a godsend on those long trips! Watch out for that stock seat too, it's a little rough!

Second, sure, just comes right off. No need to relocate or change anything. Just 4 bolts.

And finally, welcome to the forums! Good lookin' bike!

·
Registered
543 Posts
LA County? Been there twice, late 60's & early 70's. Camp Pendleton. Traveled up to Seal Beach often. Had a girlfriend there. Different world back then.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all!
and yup, I've done 600 mile days on my little rebel before with no windshield (600 miles may not sound like far, but when the bike is averaging 50mph, it's a long day in the saddle). sucks when your behind a truck carrying dirt and pebbles, but now I have the power to pass it ;)
I like the bugs in my teeth :D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks all!
and yup, I've done 600 mile days on my little rebel before with no windshield (600 miles may not sound like far, but when the bike is averaging 50mph, it's a long day in the saddle). sucks when your behind a truck carrying dirt and pebbles, but now I have the power to pass it ;)
I like the bugs in my teeth :D
Haha well as long as you enjoy it!

Went on a charity ride a year or so ago and some guy was on the ride. Stayed real quiet. About 100 miles in he was WORN OUT. Turns out that was, by far, the longest ride he'd ever been on. All he kept saying the rest of the ride was how much he wished he hadn't taken off his windshield! I'm the same way, just cant do it without one. You guys who ride without one are nuts! LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am located not too far, out in Corona, and have some great roads out this way. Give me a ping if you are out this way.

As for with or without a windshield. I have found having a windshield is great. Prior to a windshield I always felt my chest was being thumped on and was more fatigued after a long day of riding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. We just might have to plan a weekend ride sometime. I decided to leave the windshield on for the trip- mainly because I've been sick and haven't felt up to taking it off (that, and the massive quantity of bees on the san marcos pass). I would put the trip off as well, but its important- riding up to get my final divorce papers signed (freedom!). I'm considering looking into a smaller, quick detachable windshield.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome from Wales. Always exciting to move up to a bigger bike and the VN is a great choice. I agree on deals - choosing a bike from reviews is one thing but when you start looking at those actually for sale, the choice becomes a whole lot clearer. I'm with Romans on long trips and windshields (I don't really go far so prefer mine without )- also you seem to get bigger bugs than we do here in the UK ;) Enjoy your new toy and I bet it won't be long before she looks a bit different with all the extra bits you will want to add!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
On my first bike, back in '81 I got hit in the chest by a bumble bee. It nearly knocked me off the bike. A few days later I was in my car and a truck kicked up a small stone that buried itself in the windshield. I realized that if the two incidents had been reversed, I would have bug splat on the car and a hole in my forehead. I've ridden with a windshield ever since then. Meanwhile, welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Another 250 migrant

Welcome to the forum! I'm fairly new here also. It's been great to get advice and a nicer bunch of folks you won't find anywhere.

I just got back into riding early Spring with a 2007 Yamaha 250 Virago. I never rode the distances you did, just around the local counties here in Iowa. I know from researching the bike that there's a "250 community" out there. A lot of folks ride them for the gas mileage for commuting (80 - 85 mpg!). Not a bad way to go if you don't need to get on Interstates although some do that also. It's a great little machine. Still have it. My wife is considering getting a license and my son still rides it occasionally. But, I LUV the 900! I know exactly what you mean about the "ability to pass". After limping along with the 250 for a few months, the 900 feels like I grew wings!

Regarding seats, you'll find a lot of posts and opinions. I tried the Mustang and the Ultimate seats. I like the Mustang better... again, all the details are in other posts.

Enjoy and ride safe.

BTW... I'm a "no windshield" guy also. I have ridden with windshields and they do help but I tend to like the feel without one. But, I also where full gear all the time including full face convertible helmet so I'm fairly well protected from bugs and rocks, and I've had a few hit me.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Thanks. We just might have to plan a weekend ride sometime. I decided to leave the windshield on for the trip- mainly because I've been sick and haven't felt up to taking it off (that, and the massive quantity of bees on the san marcos pass). I would put the trip off as well, but its important- riding up to get my final divorce papers signed (freedom!). I'm considering looking into a smaller, quick detachable windshield.
Check out Memphis Shades. They are a quick detachable (trigger lock) system just for this purpose. Windshield on / Windshield off decisions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the warm welcome! I'm hitting the road in a few minutes, looking foward to a day in the saddle, though it may accelerate the seat buying process.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from Minnesota.

About the bolt length after taking out the windshield, yes, it would stick out a little since without the shield, the lower bolt is a little too long. Funny thing is that I lost mine a while ago and it turns out you don't need the bolt for anything other than the windshield.

About whether or not you need a windshield, if you only ride at 50mph you wouldn't need one. However, with this bike, you can easily cruise at 75mph at which speed the wind is really pushing you back on your chest so hard that you are frantically holding on to the grips. Once you have the windshield, you'll be relaxed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome from the Heartland of the Midwest. Got some relatives on the left coast. San Diego, LA, San Fran. Been there visiting a few times. Lots of things to do. Very exciting place to live. My wife and I stayed one time at a fancy Marina Del Ray hotel, they treated us like celebrities, they all spoke french, that was cool. Love the weather and the sights, way to many people for me. Not a fan of the big city life. When my left coast family visits me all they see is corn!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back from the trip, got to know the bike real well, here's the result: windshield guys, you win. It's nice to have at 90mph, and I can count at least 15 big bug splats that would have otherwise hit me square in the chest and neck. And the fact that I can comfortably relax at high speeds without wasting the energy hanging onto the bike is more than worth it. But, I've gotta get a smaller one 'cause I just can't stand the look of the huge tall factory one. I'm looking into Memphis shades. And definitely, a new seat, but I don't know what type- I can't afford to keep buying ones til I find the one I like, and there isn't anyplace that I'm aware of where I can do sit and ride tests on various brands and models. Love the bike, had all the power I needed or wanted- once I got back into LA county I got waved into a group of about 25 sportbikes and had no trouble keeping up.
Hilljack- I love LA. Much to do, and mountains, beaches, or solitude are only a short ride away. And there's nothing wrong with corn, its great. It makes great bread, muffins, moonshine, and it pops.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts