Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my name is James. I recently moved to Orange County, CA (from WA, and VT prior to that). I'm new to riding. I've been wanting to start for a long time, but now that I live an area where it's pretty much always sunny, I had to finally start.

I completed my MSF course three weeks ago, got my M1 endorsement two weeks ago and bought my 2014 Vulcan 900 Custom the day after. For about a month prior to taking my MSF course I did sit on a bunch of bikes over the course of several weeks. I narrowed it down to the Triumph America LT and the Vulcan 900. For several reason, I choose the Vulcan 900 and I've been enjoying it the last couple of weeks.

Most of my friends in WA ride, and all told me to buy a used bike. But I race a lot in the ChumpCar Series and in SCCA solo, I'm tired of working on used cars and inheriting other people's problems (I don't mind regular maintenance, it's trouble shooting gremlin issues I'm tired of), hence new instead of used. I am not looking forward to the day I drop it, but I know it's coming and accept that.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey James! Welcome to sunny So Cal and to motorcycling! Suggestions: ride Ortega hwy when you get the chance and feel comfortable with it. (Others are the main concern.) If you want a shot of your bike at speed head up to the Rock Store in the Malibu area. There's good riding and just past the Rock Store is a winding section of Mulholland Dr. where photographers will click your shot and post up for purchase on Monday. I got this: (see below) Closer to the OC, Chapman Ave off the 55, head East puts you into some good riding as well, a little more laid back than Mulholland or Ortega. Cooks corner is back there as is a little haunt called the Silverado Cafe (iIrc). My fiance and I were just back there, went up to the start of Holy Jim Trail.... I don't recommend that.

Days of good riding in the area just watch out for the texting/shaving/makeupapplying/newspaperreading/cel-yapping alleged motorist next to/in front of/behind you. A step bit can open up your exhaust for the cost of the bit and 15 mins which will get you noticed as will a flashing headlight/brake light.

Again, welcome and good riding to you! If schedules permit let's go put some miles down! :D

Vulkid (aka Tony)

Attachments

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Welcome James, The 900 is a great bike. Flawless, easy to upgrade to your liking. And people here have a wealth of knowledge in helping out... use that search function up top, most questions have been asked how and what works best!!!
Sounds you are in a great area to ride when you have good weather..

Enjoy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Thanks VulKid for the advice. I went for a ride down Canyon Rd this weekend past Cook's Corner. I'll have to stop in there some time. It was a nice relaxing ride. I'll have to check out those other areas soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts