Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Free is not bad......

I still like my Vulcan. I have read a review/evaluation and road test a couple of months ago from Cycle World. Indians were great bikes from what my dad told me, bring em on.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Made me chuckle a bit!

ALWAYS great to see more options and more competition! Although they seemed to forget about Victory. "Choice is coming", well; we do have a choice- it's just between two! Maybe they are indicating the bikes will be more classically styled? After all anyone who claims an Indian is a knock-off Harley doesn't know their motorcycle History very well. They absolutely can build the 'classic styling' and claim it as their own.

Good to see them coming back- yet again. This is what, the 3rd or 4th time?

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Love it! Got some guys at work that will have to see this.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It's all hype! I recently got to watch the Harley story on the history channel. I appreciate the role they have played in America's history especially during the war but they are still too expensive. We don't need another over-priced bike to drool over.

It's like... you want some of this, you got to pay for it! No thanks!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's all hype! I recently got to watch the Harley story on the history channel. I appreciate the role they have played in America's history especially during the war but they are still too expensive. We don't need another over-priced bike to drool over.

It's like... you want some of this, you got to pay for it! No thanks!
Competition is always good. It'll either drive down the price or force the product to improve. Our metrics benefit from competition in the American motorcycle sector because even though they are cheaper, they NEED to be good enough. In the grand scheme of things they are only a few grand cheaper and that's not enough of a margin for a seriously inferior product. So, if the American bikes get better, then the metrics get better.

"Overpriced" is relative. Expensive, sure, but for some folks it's a bargain!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dad had one

My Dad had an Indian right after the war ended (WWII) and loved it. He would be happy to see Indian coming back.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
looks so perttttty :), just another over priced bike. some of these prices for some tubing and a motor is just plain stupid, I can buy a nice BMW car for what they ask for some of these bikes, at 18k or more it better have air conditioning.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
The 2014 Chiefs are supposed to start at 19k. I'd be mad if I bought a 2013, which listed at 26k+

·
Registered
941 Posts
I know I hope I can plan to get off on time for next wednesday to go check them out at Indian Motorcycles Twin Cities and do some test drives.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Took a demo ride today on the new chieftain in Daytona. The ride is increable, very smooth and comfortable. The torque that engine makes was unbelievable compared to my 1500 nomad. Love the keyless start and power adjustable windscreen. Having said that the transmission is very clunky and the heat off the jugs was pretty bad. The outside temp was very high but my legs were hotter than what they would have been on the nomad. Several other riders did say the heat was less than what they feel on their Harley's so make of it what you will. If I was in the martlet for a new bike I will admit I would consider it as to me it is a beautiful bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've ridden my 9 in 90 degree weather and it gets hot. I would expect a 1800cc engine to get hot. Yeah they are torquey 119 ft-lbs.

I ended up getting screwed out of the demo rides. I didn't get off early enough on Wednesday to get up there. Called ahead, they said they quit at 6, but thursday would go til 7. Get there thursday at 5:15 or so and they said the group was full and that was the last ride cuz they had to be done at 6. Turns out Polaris corporate said that the bikes had to be off the lot by 6 o'clock not 7.

I did go down on friday with the dealership group on a ride down to Spirit Lake and toured the factory. They were having a Victory ralley, got to meet R. Lee Emrey.
Once again we sorta got screwed though. They didn't have us pre-registered for the tour, so we weren't going to be able to tour. The owner of the dealership was pissed, he had guys that have money down on bikes that travelled up from texas for the tour ride and for some other activities that the dealer had this weekend. (Indian only rides, Kiwi Mike) So in the end we got to tour, just way late and after the factory wasn't running. But we got to go right down the line and see all the workstations and walk around some of the bikes in different stages of production. The other tours just got to look at the area that Indian was in and keep walking.

The amount of options that this bike gets even on the base model are pretty nice. ABS standard, internal wiring in the handlebars, Keyless ignition, real leather seats, aux driving lights, cruise control. The exhaust sound is perfect. It sounds like a motorcycle should sound.

I really need to ride one.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm still drooling over the chieftan. I would love to have that bike!

Wish they were doing the demo rides even remotely near me. Dunno why they aren't!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I didn't like the front of the Chieftan. Too much plastic. And too round. Also all them because of the frame at the swingarm point is solid metal (aluminum?) instead of tubular steel they have a lot of plastic there. Right under the seat, behind the engine. The seats with the small flaps and fringes cover it. But the standard seat it just looks off, it looks like a CF Moto.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts