Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not believe that I needed to pay $400 for a decent helmet so I found a Bell Revolver on Amazon.

I tried it out today. Not bad for a $99 helmet. I got it in 2 days and I am very happy with it. I'm really impressed with it overall. It fit like a glove. It is noisy but I have no problem wearing plugs.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant to include that I did my first night riding since getting my bike almost 2 weeks ago. The light on the bike is really good. There is something about night riding that I really love.

Ha! A new helmet is like a new car. I was constantly cleaning the bugs off of it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've had just about all Bells. I had one Nolan and it was nice. A Bell saved my life though.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got to get used to it.

With the helmets I now own, I have to make sure I have sunglasses or eye protection.

This one allows me to wear my glasses and not worry about wearing contacts plus sunglasses.

I noticed last night that if a car is coming with their brights on, I can simply hit this shades until it passes.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! I don't travel on highways but wanted to test the helmet.

I saw this bike catching up with me yesterday... I was doing 80+. I thought either a crotch rocket or someone wanting to check me out.

It was big dude on a little ragged out Honda 250 with a backpack. I immediately imagined that here I am a big kid on my nice shiny fast bike and another kid passes me on tricycle. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
...It was big dude on a little ragged out Honda 250 with a backpack. I immediately imagined that here I am a big kid on my nice shiny fast bike and another kid passes me on tricycle. :)
I've always been the backpacker in that scenario. :(

I still beat the other bike in 60-100 times. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same helmet, I bought it for the crap weather and for when I first started riding. It has now become m'lady's helmet. Nice helmet but I'm disappointed how easily the vents change position and the sunglasses action feels easily breakable.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Back in the day, bell was the high end helmet of choice ... shoei was the cheap arse brand .... how things have changed.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it for 99. I am not familiar with high-end helmets so can't compare but for the price, I actually feel this is a great deal.

I forgot ear plugs today and regretted it. The freaking helmet actually seems to amplify noise.It is time for bugs so I need protection and something that gives me the option to revolve face cover and get some air. Great feature!

·
Registered
492 Posts
The best helmet I ever owned was a Bell Star! And it cost a whole lot more than $99 back in the late 70s.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I take advantage of modern tech and try to research everything that I buy so that I can get more value for my buck.

I did this with the 900, my bike insurance, and the helmet.

The only thing I'll pay top dollar for is my coffee. I do not cut corners on this vice.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have several helmets. This bell has the best working chin strap of them all. I always struggle with getting the stupids things undone. The Bell is easy to fasten and has a convenient magnet for the excess. Then, it very easy to unfasten. Love it!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
The difference with cheap helmets will be in the fit, features, functioning of those features, finish and wind noise level. If you can live with compromises in all those areas, the cheap helmet may be your best bet if you are short on cash.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Sharp lookin' helmet!

I got an HJC for not much more than that and I love it. It's got the Snell 2010 rating that I wanted, along with a few decent features. It does lack in ventilation a bit, but I find that with safety glasses or safety sunglasses, I can ride with the visor wide open on the hottest of days and be plenty cool. Usually though, I can just crack the visor on it and that's all the ventilation I need!

Lookin' good!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The difference with cheap helmets will be in the fit, features, functioning of those features, finish and wind noise level. If you can live with compromises in all those areas, the cheap helmet may be your best bet if you are short on cash.
Well! Being an online order, I was concerned with fit. I ordered a medium and it fit like a glove. Not too tight but snug enough.

Next, this helmet originally retailed for $199. I figure this does not qualify as "cheap". On my first inspection, and in comparison to the more expensive helmets thrown in with previous bike I purchased, the Bell was well thought out and well made.

Cheap does not mean compromise, it simply can mean smart shopping.

It's got the Snell 2010 rating
I do like the way it looks but this one did not earn the Snell. I guess I did compromise in that respect but I am not familiar with Snell ratings. The only "snell" familiar with is when Shultz would say this on "Hogan's Heros". :D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I do like the way it looks but this one did not earn the Snell. I guess I did compromise in that respect but I am not familiar with Snell ratings. The only "snell" familiar with is when Shultz would say this on "Hogan's Heros". :D

Snell updates their ratings and testing methods every 5 years. There are some criticisms regarding the Snell 2005 rating, making the helmets too rigid meaning they can be less successful in certain types of accidents. However, the latest rating (Snell 2010) is regarded as the best protection your noggin' can have. Lots of race tracks require it.

It was definitely a criteria for me. All it takes to be 'DOT' certified is to sign a piece of paper saying "I did the test Mr. Government I did I promise". That said, Bell is not a fly by night company and make excellent helmets. They probably don't fall into that category of making awful helmets and then slapping on a DOT sticker when it really shouldn't have one. Heck, it may even pass SNELL's testing just not have been tested. (It takes a long time and costs a bit of money, they may have just opted not to send it in for testing.)

But, that said, it's something to look into with future helmet purchases. It gives you piece of mind that these helmets have actually been tested in a third-party lab. Oh, and they also go and buy helmets that are snell rated right off the shelf and test them again, to make sure what you're selling is exactly what you submitted.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info on snell. I would guess that the way the button works to move the chin guard back could be the factor for this modular. You must make sure it locks securely and I believe some folks may not do this correctly.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

I agree. An inexpensive helmet may provide great protection and may fit great. But, in my case, it cost me almost $500 to find one that actually fit me well and was (for a helmet) comfortable to wear and had the flip-up/modular chin piece.

Spent a whole day traveling to a few different stores trying helmets and finally found the right one.

Was dead set on the Nolan N90(?) based on reviews but as soon as I put it on I knew the search had to continue - fit my head like crap.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I now have a Nolan 104, it replaced a Nolan Trilogy that saved my life on Oct.23,2011.
I believe you get what you pay for and I'm willing to pay what it takes for me to feel that my head is adequately protected.
The fact that my helmet is both DOT and ECE R22-05 certified was important in my choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts