Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I always wear a helmet. Full face. I do not find it uncomfortable or too much of a hassle to deal with.
These studies should encourage everyone to do so. Too bad the journalism is tainted.

ATGATT! Unless you do not value your person, hide nor brain.... Cagers don't see us and they don't care.
We all take risks.
A big ol Goldwing trike with an airbag would be safer, maybe we all should be on one of those.
Even a little 2 door spec car offers more protection than my bike, my quad cab Dodge even more than that.
We could go up to a hummer, or maybe an armored car!

If you don't drive an armored car, you don't value your life!

Scott

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
JUDY WOODRUFF: I have to ask you about one of the statistics, or a major statistics that the motorcycle groups put out there. And they say, yes, the number of fatalities has more than doubled, as you point out, but they also say the number of motorcycles out there, the number of motorcycles registered has more than doubled.

RICK SCHMITT: Sure.

JUDY WOODRUFF: And when you compare that with the percentage of fatalities, they say the percentage of fatalities has actually slightly decreased.
The bold was mine for emphasis, and this is only a small quote of the entire dialogue. End result - 28 more states allow the freedom of choice than before, the number of motorcycle riders is SURGING, yet a smaller percentage of those riders are involved in fatal accidents, and no mention of how many of those fatalities involved people who actually were wearing helmets. Lots of people throw numbers out there to throw people into a panic and want to label a helmet as a "save all" solution, but truthfully, MSF safety courses, etc. are what leads to a lower percentage of fatalities than before.

If you REALLY want to see a decrease in biker fatalities, focus on mobile phone usage while driving and quit installing cable based crash barriers that can tear a head off (and many other extremities) in or out of a helmet.

Don't get me wrong, I know the advantages and disadvantages of helmets and other safety gear, but folks need to realize that "numbers" can be manipulated to match any "truth".

In all actuality, I agree with Scott. All of us on two wheels are taking a calculated risk...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
....quit installing cable based crash barriers that can tear a head off (and many other extremities) in or out of a helmet.
I see those all them time and have never thought about how dangerous those could be for a motorcyclist. Great Point!

The reason that auto related deaths have gone down is safety focused engineering.
Ralph Nader is a kook. But even a broken clock is right twice a day!
Remember when hood ornaments also served as a 'rapid organ removal' device?

Scott

·
Registered
643 Posts
It's what the DoD does with it's so-called motorcycle safety policies. They take the percentage and twist it. Sure, there were more automobile fatalities than there were motorcycle fatalities (say 50 vs 30 for the sake of argument) but the motorcycle fatalities are a higher percentage per operator, yada yada yada.

The DoD couldn't care less about the safety of it's riding members, the goal is to make it such a PITA to ride that many will quit. I don't know why, but the DoD, the AF for sure, has it in for motorcyclists. That's my observation.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The DoD couldn't care less about the safety of it's riding members, the goal is to make it such a PITA to ride that many will quit. I don't know why, but the DoD, the AF for sure, has it in for motorcyclists. That's my observation.
In the last few years we (the Marine Corps) have actually turned the corner and there's a lot less hate for riders. We now have riding courses at least twice a month, and almost every week during the summer. There are usually multiple ARTDs and AMOS events every summer. Since the DoD changed its gear requirements in 2009, as far as I know, we are the only service to completely do away with the reflective vest requirement. The Commandant even went so far as to say that while they are recommended, they are not required and NOBODY can require them. This prevents every region/base/unit CO from adding his own arbitrary requirements for riders. Go to any Marine base anywhere in the country and there is no change in what you are required to wear. I'm moving to a Navy base this summer and I already know the requirements will be different and will be enforced based on the interpretation by the individual at the gate checking IDs. I hate to hear other services are still having issues with things like this. I have a silver TourMaster jacket but I guess it depends on who's standing outside if that's "brightly colored" or not.

·
Registered
643 Posts
. . . we are the only service to completely do away with the reflective vest requirement. The Commandant even went so far as to say that while they are recommended, they are not required and NOBODY can require them.
Kudos to him! The Marines here on Goodfeller had to fight the Wing King and I think they lost 'cause I see them wearing the vests every day. I wear a silver and black (Raider Nation!) mesh and you're right, it all depends on who's at the gate when I come through -it's always daylight. Oh, yeah, Wing safety recently declared that white is NOT a bright color.

The reason I say they don't really care about our safety and it's only a CYA for the AF is because I could wear a da glo orange shirt made of tissue paper and as long as it is long-sleeved it would meet their "safety" requirements.

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
anybody else wear a FF, not because of the safety aspect, but because they cant stand the wind noise?

·
Registered
399 Posts
anybody else wear a FF, not because of the safety aspect, but because they cant stand the wind noise?
I wear a FF for both reasons...safety and noise protection. And, I want to keep my face intact ;) It ain't that pretty, but it's all I have.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
half helmet for my brain, MP3 player for the wind noise :D

I used to not wear a helmet in town, but I've become increasingly paranoid than an old lady who can't see over her steering wheel or some college punk in an Escalade with his cell phone stuck to his face is going to park on my head.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I, too, wear a full-face not because I'm too terribly concerned about what's inside my skull, but the dog-gone wind noise without it drives me even more bonkers than I normally am.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I wear a full face for protection, from the wind noise, from debris (I've had a few bugs/pebbles smack my chin bar, forehead, other areas that would have been poorly covered by other types of helmets, it's nice for that!).

Found another nice advantage, for wearing gear AND a full face. This week it's been over 110 a couple of times here in Arkansas/southern MO where I've been riding on vacation. I have seen so many peeling and sunburnt bikers, the sun is so harsh right now that you can burn in 20 minutes. Yet my wife and I are free of burns, except for our noses and around our eyes (which are, of course, not covered by our FF helmets). We look really funny to tell ya the truth, but we have a whole lot less red nasty burns than all the other riders in the area!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have a half shell and a full face helmet. The noise in the half shell is a little annoying. Anybody use a 3/4 and how are they noise-wise vs. the half shell?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I used a 3/4 with a face shield for a whole season before I got the Vic. It was a little quieter inside, but not much.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
as far as I know, we are the only service to completely do away with the reflective vest requirement. The Commandant even went so far as to say that while they are recommended, they are not required and NOBODY can require them. This prevents every region/base/unit CO from adding his own arbitrary requirements for riders. Go to any Marine base anywhere in the country and there is no change in what you are required to wear.
Same for the Coast Guard. We did away with the hi-viz vests a while ago. I was worried about that when I joined up, but luckily I don't have to wear one of those stupid vests over my nice jacket. Would it make me more visible? Yeah it would, but that's my risk I take. I'll sacrifice a little function for form in this case.

That being said, I think every state should have a helmet law. I also think that motorcycle awareness should be addressed on every state-given driving test. There are way more than enough motorcycles on the road for every state to make sure that they at least mention to all new drivers that they need to watch out for us.

Helmets save lives, but typically before a helmet saves lives, alert and attentive car drivers prevent the need. Even if all "cagers" were the most attentive and considerate motorists, a fall's a fall and the road wouldn't be any nicer to your skull.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I am a retired road racer. Helmet is a must if you ride two wheels. Most race organizations don't even allow you to ride a two wheel motorized vehicle in the pit area without a helmet.

But if you choose not to wear one, I don't want to pay for your support while you live as a vegetable or severely disabled the rest of your life.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts