Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I would like to use
LED Headlight for Jeep Wrangler, AAIWA 7 Inch 105W LED Projector Headlight Round 5D Lens with DRL for Jeep Wrangler JK TJ LJ CJ Motorcycle

as a headlight but first, I was wondering the wiring situation. I have never one any electrical work before and was wondering what would need to be done to ensure I don't cause melted wires/fuses. If anyone knows of a good resource to read into or know of any big issues I would come across that would not make this possible, that would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did the same yesterday. For the DRL I used "T10 Car Headlight Assembly Male Socket Plug Adapter Extended Wire Connector" and heat shrink tubing. + ~ 5 $, but no splicing, just plug and play.
IMG_20191224_144857.jpg IMG_20191224_144917.jpg IMG_20191224_125831.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
No custom bracket needed?
Yes, anything 41 mm will do. There are about a dozen styles on amazon, ebay, etc.
I used Matte Black Motorcycle Headlight Bracket Turn Lights Mount Holder For 41mm Fork from ebay.
Some headlight housing buckets come with brackets, but no one recommends using them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, anything 41 mm will do. There are about a dozen styles on amazon, ebay, etc.
I used Matte Black Motorcycle Headlight Bracket Turn Lights Mount Holder For 41mm Fork from ebay.
Some headlight housing buckets come with brackets, but no one recommends using them.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Been eyeing this headlight for a couple months now, but havent pulled the trigger because my bike is at a buddies in storage for the winter and I haven't had a good time to run up there and do some investigating.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, do you happen to have a side view of your bike? I put my headlight on, but not really digging the side view.

I might try to get a different bracket to try and bring the light towards the bike a bit more.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really wanted to do this too but couldn't find a bracket that was sunk between the forks enuf. For this reason, I stopped. It still looks good, but we all have visions in our mind. If you find that bracket let me know. There was a guy, an Aussie who made a thick pin like bracket on youtube. he changed his site name. If I get my history I'll send it to you. Brackets are cheap, Could you cut, drill, rattle bottle paint and save the 3 cm?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really wanted to do this too but couldn't find a bracket that was sunk between the forks enuf. For this reason, I stopped. It still looks good, but we all have visions in our mind. If you find that bracket let me know. There was a guy, an Aussie who made a thick pin like bracket on youtube. he changed his site name. If I get my history I'll send it to you. Brackets are cheap, Could you cut, drill, rattle bottle paint and save the 3 cm?
He was from New Zealand and he sold his vulcan after making those terrible install videos for the headlight and saying he was going to make those brackets and sell them (he never did).

I just got some new bolts and I have my own thread going on (I'll link it later since I'm on mobile now) for this headlight. The bracket I have has a few different holes and i moved it back a bit. I think it looks a lot better, but still not perfect. Also, the light still bounces upwards while riding. So, I've got to figure out a way to make it a bit more secure. Other than that, works great!

Here are some pics I just took

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bet that some of the bounce would be corrected if you put sleeves over the bolt shafts. Just a thought
Yeah that's a good idea.

Its dark outside now, so I was just out screwing around with it. The light is BRIGHT. Way brighter than OEM, which is good. Unfortunately, the way this bracket is, the light is aimed too high. Tomorrow (weather depending) I'm going to try and flip the bracket so they are closer to the inside of the forks, rather than the outside and the holes will direct the light more downward than upward. Hopefully you guys are understanding what I'm saying haha.

I'll also take one of the brackets and one of the bolts to Home Depot tomorrow to try and find some sleeves that are thin enough.

Here is the link to the other thread I started. It has a few more details about the light, bracket and the bolts. Currently, I have 70mm bolts on there and they are just a smidge shorter than I would like, but they may be just right once I flip the brackets around. I'll report back when I get it done.

Oh and just a side note, there are a lot of extra cables/wiring with this headlight than the OEM. I'll try to get some pictures of my kinda shitty/kinda not shitty cable management tomorrow too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did the same yesterday. For the DRL I used "T10 Car Headlight Assembly Male Socket Plug Adapter Extended Wire Connector" and heat shrink tubing. + ~ 5 $, but no splicing, just plug and play.
View attachment 240315 View attachment 240316 View attachment 240317
I did this today and I bought the T10 prior to attempting or even looking, but that connector wasn't the same at all to the female end of the harness. I just ended up using a fork crimp connector (with one of the forks cut off) and some heat shrink tubing. Works fine

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did this today and I bought the T10 prior to attempting or even looking, but that connector wasn't the same at all to the female end of the harness. I just ended up using a fork crimp connector (with one of the forks cut off) and some heat shrink tubing. Works fine
Hi 40ozToFreedom,

Sorry it did not work out for you.
My S is 2017 ABS and the DLR bulb is T10. The adapter simulates the DLR bulb.

For the mounting you can do a few things:
  • put the brackets on the inside of the forks. Shorter bolts should mean less vibration
  • get different brackets. I used the one on the left.
  • get a Headlight Housing Bucket.

BR and Good Luck,
D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi 40ozToFreedom,

• put the brackets on the inside of the forks. Shorter bolts should mean less vibration
View attachment 241120 View attachment 241121 View attachment 241122

BR and Good Luck,
D
Those brackets with the headlight is what I started with, and they are crap. I threw them out and went with something like 40oztofreedom. Here are picks with a cheap chinese cowl that I like: mods I'll try to get a picture from the side with how it is mounted tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi 40ozToFreedom,

View attachment 241120 View attachment 241121 View attachment 241122

BR and Good Luck,
D
No worries! Just wanted to pass along info for others.

I'm going to flip the brackets tomorrow hoping that itll be enough. They were only like $25, so it's not the end of the world. Im going to get some sleeves for the bolts ar well to try and eliminate some play.

Also, its going to be mostly rainy for the next couple weeks, so I've got time to sort this issue out!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those brackets with the headlight is what I started with, and they are crap. I threw them out and went with something like 40oztofreedom. Here are picks with a cheap chinese cowl that I like: mods I'll try to get a picture from the side with how it is mounted tomorrow.
Any chance you could get some pictures from the top (under the cowl) as well, if it's not too much trouble?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts