Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went into the Harley dealer to get a brand new Electra glide ultra classic. i am trading in my 07 900 Vulcan classic lt, excellent condition. they want to give me for trade only 4000 for it. that upset me first of all. i was going to put down 500 with that trade. i still owe 2000 on my Vulcan so its like im putting down a 2500 down payment. they came back with an interest rate of 14.49%. my monthly payments would of been 421 bucks a month. f$#% that!!! damn i want that bike bad though. i almost took the deal. i cant stop thinking about that bike, it's awesome!!! i guess im going to wait until i have the Vulcan payed off then that will give me a lower monthly payment but its so hard to wait you know? i want to ride it this season.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'd also shop around for a decent interest rate, not to mention a better deal. My 900 was financed for about 6.7% (try USAA bank if you're a Vet). I also have my eye on an E.Glide (Classic though), but not for at least 3 more years. I plan to keep my 900Lt after I get it though. It's still a greaat bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree the problem is two fold. Bike loans are financed like Credit cards because they classified as a luxery item by banks.
My Payment on my fully Loaded 2010 Kia Soul is $239.00
shop around.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why not try to sell your Vulcan yourself? That LT should bring in more than $4000. I bought mine for $4000 (not an LT and didn't have bags and stuff at the time), but I have seen the LT's selling for around $5500 around here. I'm pretty sure they have been going for about that price on Ebay as well.

Also, you really don't know what they are giving you for your trade because they can manipulate the profit on the HD. It makes it much simpler to bargain without the trade in. And, this is the perfect time of year to try to sell the Vulcan.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just watch the HD website. They keep having very good finance rates. Check around the 1st week of each month, that is when they change the rates. Also, check other dealers, do not pay retail. HD is hurting, the dealers are hurting. My local dealer is giving big discounts because they cant move all the product.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thats an absurd interest rate. I have 3.75% on 5 years on my 2009 900 custom. I got it through a credit union. they have fantastic rates right now.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
thats an absurd interest rate. I have 3.75% on 5 years on my 2009 900 custom. I got it through a credit union. they have fantastic rates right now.
Agreed. I got 5% on mine (wish I could have gotten that 3.75%) through one of my local banks. Most independent banks are running some great rates right now.

Not that we'd want to see ya leave the vulcan forums :D but man, sure hate to see them trying to rip ya like that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i went into the Harley dealer to get a brand new Electra glide ultra classic. i am trading in my 07 900 Vulcan classic lt, excellent condition. they want to give me for trade only 4000 for it. that upset me first of all. i was going to put down 500 with that trade. i still owe 2000 on my Vulcan so its like im putting down a 2500 down payment. they came back with an interest rate of 14.49%. my monthly payments would of been 421 bucks a month. f$#% that!!! damn i want that bike bad though. i almost took the deal. i cant stop thinking about that bike, it's awesome!!! i guess im going to wait until i have the Vulcan payed off then that will give me a lower monthly payment but its so hard to wait you know? i want to ride it this season.
Last month I visited the local HD dealership with the intentions of purchasing a 2010 Fat Bob. I spoke with the salesman who quoted me $350 Canadian for 84 months. I actually thought that was a good deal until I realized that the total pay back was $32,000.

As much as I like Harley's, damn those things are expensive.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Last month I visited the local HD dealership with the intentions of purchasing a 2010 Fat Bob. I spoke with the salesman who quoted me $350 Canadian for 84 months. I actually thought that was a good deal until I realized that the total pay back was $32,000.

As much as I like Harley's, damn those things are expensive.
This is what I have been wondering for quite some time: Are the Harleys really worth the price tag?? Is the fat price premium really justified? What is it about them that makes them so "valuable"? Do they have such superior design or fabrication? Is the ride that much different? Or is it just the halo that the HD riders managed to create around themselves?

I haven't ridden a Harley in my life so any opinion from they guys who have experience with both Kawis (or other metrics) and HDs would be great...

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Man, what a subject. I've been riding bikes for most of my adult life. I've had 9 brand new
ones that I can think of. I'm 51 years young and just bought a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic. The only thing I don't like about it so far is the over all top gearing. It needs a 6th gear or taller gearing IMO. Other than that I love it.

I have had 3 new Harley's over the last 25 years, the last was an 08 Street Glide.
They were all good bikes. The only reason I sold the Street Glide is because I don't fall into the Harley life style or cult. It was just to much money for me as I don't ride that much.
With that said Buy what you want, But be aware that over a period of time you will get tired of making those big payments and Insurance premiums.

I'm just as happy on my small 900 as I was on the street glide for a lot less dough.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just to throw it out there .......if your looking to buy a HD just to go American; why not consider Victory motorcycles?
Seriously have awesome engines and are thousands less!
I was seriously considering a Victory Vegas 8-Ball but there isn't a local dealership and my fear was that if something happened to the bike I'd be stuck trying to find someone to do the warranty repair work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have my eye on a Heritage Softail Classic (won't make purchase for a few years though) which is decently priced IMO for what you get. I, however, will more than likely purchase one used to save a few thousand.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is what I have been wondering for quite some time: Are the Harleys really worth the price tag?? Is the fat price premium really justified? What is it about them that makes them so "valuable"? Do they have such superior design or fabrication? Is the ride that much different? Or is it just the halo that the HD riders managed to create around themselves?
One thing to keep in mind is that most HD bikes are 1600cc's. Having said that, from what I've seen, the cost of a HD in US dollars isn't that much more the any other bike with a similar size engine. The problem in Canada is that Deeley owns the Harley brand name and the only way to buy a brand new Harley is to buy it from a Deeley authorized dealership. Because of this monopoly, Deeley usually tacks on a few thousand dollars to the MSRP. :mad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well today my buddy wanted to go for a ride. He insisted that I ride his '06 H-D Electra Glide with all of the bells and whistles while he rode his Brand New Road Glide. My scooter is a '98 Vulcan 1500 Classic. It has a windshield, trunk and hardbags so the size is quite comparable. One thing I noticed was both bikes rode quite the same. However, when you slow down such as at a stop sign the vibration of that H-D engine is something to get use to. My opinion of the two is that my Vulcan has more responsiveness when gassing on it like when you need to pull a hill or pass another vehicle. I will be the first one to say he has a really nice motorcycle but I do not think the price difference between a H-D and a metric cruiser is justified. By the way we rode over 150 miles today and I was in the seat a little over 4 hours. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I only read the first few posts but here's my two cents...

Don't finance toys. Enjoy what you have until you can pay cash for what you want. To quote Dave Ramsey (radio talk show guru), your biggest money making tool is your income. Don't sink it all into debt.

If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Agreed about the interest rate thing. You ought to be able to do better than the 14.49%. When I bought my 900 last fall, like blantow posted, I also got a very favorable rate through the Credit Union (3.99%) and my monthlies are only $149 (and could have gotten it down even less but chose to take the credit disability insurance option).

Oh... and then I was reading on my Facebook page last night, and came across this posting from a good friend of mine which I found amusing...:rolleyes:

"(name withheld) has had both Harleys out and running but the Dyna Glide broke down (ignition switch) at my daughter's house, now in the garage, but the Sportster got fixed (oil and gas leaks) and is full operation. Great mileage and feeling the Spring air!"

Please... I most assuredly am NOT bashing any other brands here. I respect everyone's choice of rides, and even was in the local Harley store myself just this week looking over the selection and admiring the pretty iron. But with the Harley reputation, reading this last night just gave me a chuckle. (I sure do love my 900 though...!)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Please... I most assuredly am NOT bashing any other brands here. I respect everyone's choice of rides, and even was in the local Harley store myself just this week looking over the selection and admiring the pretty iron. But with the Harley reputation, reading this last night just gave me a chuckle. (I sure do love my 900 though...!)
I'm told by more then one person that the reason for the oil leaks is that the Harley's vibrate so much that the shake their bolts loose.

·
Registered
79 Posts
However, when you slow down such as at a stop sign the vibration of that H-D engine is something to get use to.
Some Harley's vibrate so much that when you're stopped you cannot see out of our mirrors but this depends on the bike. The Dyna engines are rubber mounted and vibrate supposedly less then a Sportster. I believe the V-Rod series vibrates even less then the Dyna's. I don't know where the Softails fit in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts