Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this seems to be there year of innovation from Harley starting with there limited Rushmore project introducing liquid cooled heads and now just released 2 brand new bikes the 500 & 750 equipped with a new liquid cooled revolution X motor. Is this the future for Harley ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have to admit I really admire Harley for finally getting with the times and trying ideas that are new to them. That does not mean I am ready to try the Harley Kool-Aid though.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
I think Harley Davidson just doubled their sales. These bikes are going to create a whole new demographic of young, cool, tough, sporty bikers. The old Harley diehards won't like them for themselves but will gladly put their kids on one to learn how to ride. Harley has the marketing ability, just watch, these bikes are going to sell!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I believe the 500 has an MSRP of $6700 and the 750 in at $7500 , seems to be competitive in that market .

This should go over better than the Buell's being this is an all Harley creation vs an assumed asset. Harley has a riders edge program for new riders currently using the Buell , I heard they intend to replace all the Buell's with the new 500 ASAP.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yeah they will sell a ton of these. Of course they will also piss of all the traditionalists simultaneously, but it's not like the traditionalists will ride any thing other than the air cooled version anyway so no loss there.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Holy cow! Harley is building a Metric! LOL.

Nah that's pretty cool. I for one am excited to see the innovation. The sportster is the entry level model but it's top heavy, has crappy suspension, and a bulletproof but unexciting motor. These now bikes will be a lot better, I think. Had those been around when my wife bought hers? She might have bought one of those instead!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 500s will replace all Buell Blasts(I'd love to pick one up, they are a fun little run-about) that the HD Rider's Edge MSF courses use, and hopefully will also be picked up by other MSF courses as well. In Utah the Motorcycle permit is stepped by engine size, so I see them also getting a couple of the 750's to round out the fleet so you can get your full motorcycle endorsement.

I like the price point for each bike, but I think Harley Dealers will have a tough adapting to the new audience. Japanese bikes/dealers seem to have wiggle room built in to the bike prices. Harley Dealers seem to sell at MSRP. You may be able to get a discount on assembly/shipping, and maybe some gear thrown in, but hardly ever a discount on the bike itself.

I think over the next couple of years you'll see these two bikes force a change in how the Sportster is marketed, and probably specs on it as well.

I really like the look of the bike, but it's too small for me, but I look forward to trying them out at the HD "Demo Days" in the spring.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Harley has the marketing ability, just watch, these bikes are going to sell!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I agree , Harley has a huge network and is one of the most recognized names in the world , word will spread fast these bikes will sell , matters not to who.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The 500s will replace all Buell Blasts(I'd love to pick one up, they are a fun little run-about) that the HD Rider's Edge MSF courses use, and hopefully will also be picked up by other MSF courses as well. In Utah the Motorcycle permit is stepped by engine size, so I see them also getting a couple of the 750's to round out the fleet so you can get your full motorcycle endorsement.

I like the price point for each bike, but I think Harley Dealers will have a tough adapting to the new audience. Japanese bikes/dealers seem to have wiggle room built in to the bike prices. Harley Dealers seem to sell at MSRP. You may be able to get a discount on assembly/shipping, and maybe some gear thrown in, but hardly ever a discount on the bike itself.

I think over the next couple of years you'll see these two bikes force a change in how the Sportster is marketed, and probably specs on it as well.

I really like the look of the bike, but it's too small for me, but I look forward to trying them out at the HD "Demo Days" in the spring.

I think the 'wiggle room' is there either way. It's just a Demand thing. The Harley dealer knows someone is gonna walk in and pay OVER sticker. The average Harley-Davidson, I read somewhere, is selling OVER MSRP. Meaning they are paying sticker, and letting the dealer slap on a bunch of fees, accessories, warranties, etc. If buyers are willing to do that, then it doesn't make any sense to 'deal'.

These new bikes may be different, as it's going to cater to a market accustomed to getting good deals. Also, when shopping for motorcycles for my wife, a Harley salesman made us a pretty killer offer on a Sportster. Brand new model, they would lower it, add a different seat, saddlebags and a luggage rack, a windshield, AND sell it to us, with no fees, for $500 below MSRP. But that's an entirely different ballgame. They want to sell us a killer deal on the Sportster so we trade it in on a Softail at full price when she's ready to move on to a bigger bike!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Holy cow! Harley is building a Metric! LOL.
:D
I love it.

Harley is making Japanese clones to try to stay relevant!

Man that "street" look sure is unique. LOL:& They really do their own thing; they don't copy anyone!:&

I do love to laugh; and this is REAL DAMN FUNNY!

But, in all seriousness.:rolleyes: They will sell a boatload of these.
I am happy for the company and customers. THIS is what competing is all about.

Scott

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Okay, well I thought they'd be cool at first; but check out this video;

That is an AWFUL sounding bike. From the startup sound to running. I also won't touch the fact that, even in the ads, the only place those bikes went was to the nearest bar down the street :)

I'm a fan of H-D. There, I said it! I like their stuff. I like other stuff too though and perhaps better. But I gotta say, this is probably gonna sell well, but its not a great example of what HD can do.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
:D
I love it.

Harley is making Japanese clones to try to stay relevant!

Man that "street" look sure is unique. LOL:& They really do their own thing; they don't copy anyone!:&

I do love to laugh; and this is REAL DAMN FUNNY!

But, in all seriousness.:rolleyes: They will sell a boatload of these.
I am happy for the company and customers. THIS is what competing is all about.

Scott
Best post all day, I tell you what. lol

That right it is what capitalism is all about. And competition will help keep the prices down.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Let there be something majorly wrong and that niche they were hoping to capture could be an achilles heel.

My interest in them is the fact they are water cooled, have 6 gears, and belt driven. Would love to try one.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Okay, well I thought they'd be cool at first; but check out this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoMtLTHNvMY

That is an AWFUL sounding bike. From the startup sound to running. I also won't touch the fact that, even in the ads, the only place those bikes went was to the nearest bar down the street :)

I'm a fan of H-D. There, I said it! I like their stuff. I like other stuff too though and perhaps better. But I gotta say, this is probably gonna sell well, but its not a great example of what HD can do.
I am calling for a mutiny against you for that statement. Now how do we go about getting a mod banned, :D.

They could be just testing the waters with newer tech on them with out messing with their bread and butter products just yet. I just have a feeling "Harley Guy's" will not call them a "REAL" HD. I believe that might slow them down a bit. But hey, ya never know. If I was in the market for a bike like that I would try one out. Don't knock it till you try it.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I am calling for a mutiny against you for that statement. Now how do we go about getting a mod banned, :D.

They could be just testing the waters with newer tech on them with out messing with their bread and butter products just yet. I just have a feeling "Harley Guy's" will not call them a "REAL" HD. I believe that might slow them down a bit. But hey, ya never know. If I was in the market for a bike like that I would try one out. Don't knock it till you try it.
Oh forget what the 'Harley Guys' call H-D. I've heard guys say Sportster or a Dyna is not an H-D, because they are just 'chick bikes'. Then I've heard a Softail is not an H-D for the same reason. But then I've heard the touring platform (Road King, Ultra Classic, etc.) are not real Harley's because they have all the touring accoutrouments, and a REAL Harley is a sportster or a softail. So apparently, there's no such thing as a real Harley?

Notwithstanding the uproar over a lot of the new Harley touring bikes with liquid cooling, one touch bags, updated styling, etc.

So yeah, I'm sure some guys will call it 'Not a real Harley'. Just like they will any other Harley that isn't THEIR Harley. Some people are just that way. Only they know what's cool, and nobody else has anything cool. (Just like the Metrics aren't real bikes crowd, or the Harley's aren't real bikes crowd. I think we need to quit bickering and actually get out and ride the darn things! :p)

Now how do we go about getting a mod banned, :D.
How about I just ban you, and you take notes, and see if you can do it back? :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh forget what the 'Harley Guys' call H-D. I've heard guys say Sportster or a Dyna is not an H-D, because they are just 'chick bikes'. Then I've heard a Softail is not an H-D for the same reason. But then I've heard the touring platform (Road King, Ultra Classic, etc.) are not real Harley's because they have all the touring accoutrouments, and a REAL Harley is a sportster or a softail. So apparently, there's no such thing as a real Harley?
:D They're just figments. Nothing to see here, move along. :D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts