Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm clueless when it comes to some of this tech stuff so I thought I'd ask here.

The handlebars on my Vaquero have me in a weird position and it's uncomfortable.

They're too far back for me to lean forward and get comfortable and they're too far forward for me to lean back and be comfortable so I want to replace them with something like them just a bit taller, I think, to give me a more laid back riding position and hopefully more comfort.

I found a site that lists the stock bars with these dimensions:
10" H
33 1/2" W
15" pullback
7 1/2" center
2" x 5" clamp area.

I'm unclear as to which dimension I need to be longer, is it the 10" height or 15" pullback? I'm somewhat confident that the 10" (rise) is what I want longer. I'm thinking I need 12" which should help me get seated more comfortably.

I've tried having them rotated in the clamps and still couldn't get them where I was comfortable.

Am I correct in my logic and if so, where's the best place to find stock style bars with my added length without breaking the bank?

I've looked on various websites and found tons however, none that I've seen will let me sort by dimensions, is that possible?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Here is a website to check out. They sell the bars they have on their Vaq... might be just what you are looking for.

http://roaringtwinz.com/2011/04/slide-2/
They seem to have a unique shape to them to clear the fairing in side to side motion. I have also thought about just tilting my stock ones up a bit because of my long arms but they are just clearing the inner fairing as it is

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the link. I like those bikes but I'm really wanting something very similar to stock, only 2" longer to make my riding position more comfortable.

Any other suggestions as to where to look?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about risers but don't they change how the bike handles and steers?

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
no more than bars do. Thy serve identical purpose to bars. You probably won't notice a difference in the way the bike handles after about 15 minutes in the saddle...

·
Registered
636 Posts
I thought about risers but don't they change how the bike handles and steers?
Not in my experience... they simply move the bars to somewhere where you can reach them without having that nagging ache grow between your shoulder-blades. I tried many, many different risers on my Nomad before I found the right ones... I got lucky with the Voyager, and Chuckster nailed it first try.

But if you prefer a whole new set of bars... I'd suggest you track down and PM Don Meyers. Don manufactures custom bars, and can send you a jig which you adjust to exactly the position you want the grips in. Send the jig back to him set how you'd like your bars, and that's how he'll build them - job done.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
if they are 1" bars (pulling from memory) they will work. Bars are universal in the respect that they just bolt onto the risers. I had Paul Yaffe bars for a street glide on my VN2000. Mke sure they bsr thickness is the same and pick something you like.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Can't you just bolt on 1" risers, to replace the 1 1/4" stock ones therefore giving you options to choose 1" bars...
There's going to be a bit of work in that option too...

The brake & clutch clamps are 1 1/4", right there next to the 1" grips. You'd need to pack them out a bit, or find an after-market replacement.

All of these extra little considerations were just more reasons why I eventually went with Chuckster's.

·
Registered
580 Posts
There's going to be a bit of work in that option too...

The brake & clutch clamps are 1 1/4", right there next to the 1" grips. You'd need to pack them out a bit, or find an after-market replacement.

All of these extra little considerations were just more reasons why I eventually went with Chuckster's.
Actually my Voyager bars taper to 1" just before the controls. I just washed my bike so kind of hard to see, just look at the side of your handlbar before the controls are mounted. It is easier to see on the bottom of the handlebar

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hello all,

I'm clueless when it comes to some of this tech stuff so I thought I'd ask here.

The handlebars on my Vaquero have me in a weird position and it's uncomfortable.

They're too far back for me to lean forward and get comfortable and they're too far forward for me to lean back and be comfortable so I want to replace them with something like them just a bit taller, I think, to give me a more laid back riding position and hopefully more comfort.

I found a site that lists the stock bars with these dimensions:
10" H
33 1/2" W
15" pullback
7 1/2" center
2" x 5" clamp area.

I'm unclear as to which dimension I need to be longer, is it the 10" height or 15" pullback? I'm somewhat confident that the 10" (rise) is what I want longer. I'm thinking I need 12" which should help me get seated more comfortably.

I've tried having them rotated in the clamps and still couldn't get them where I was comfortable.

Am I correct in my logic and if so, where's the best place to find stock style bars with my added length without breaking the bank?

I've looked on various websites and found tons however, none that I've seen will let me sort by dimensions, is that possible?

Thanks all.
I'm going to get a set of these

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Actually my Voyager bars taper to 1" just before the controls. I just washed my bike so kind of hard to see, just look at the side of your handlbar before the controls are mounted. It is easier to see on the bottom of the handlebar
Hmmm. You might be right. I can't go down to my garage to check either, since there's been no bike in it for nearly a month now.

I just checked online yesterday to see where it is... following a digital trail of breadcrumbs?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts