Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always talked myself out of owning a motorcycle because of family and the need of taking items with me for most of my activities. Quickly approaching the "empty nest" stage and I encouraged my girl to get a motorcycle when she said she wanted one. Well that turned into her wanting me to have one so we could go riding. It was all the encouragement I needed. Research had me leaning towards Kawasaki or Suzuki, but when a friend hooked me up with his father who had what I was looking for, search over. It's a 2007 Vulcan 900 Classic with 17k miles and I'll be the second owner. Should be a great bike once I get it cleaned up and set up how I want.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Vulcan 900 Classic
687 Posts
Go through that carefully. Go ahead and replace all the fluids, check hoses and cables, and change the air filter. Look for chewed wiring too.

Once it's all straightened out, that bike has the capacity to faithfully provide years of trouble-free riding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my plan. Take this winter and go through everything. Change all the fluids and filters and plugs. I'll be replacing the tires also (I don't believe they're matched). Then start accessorizing how I want. A friend of mine who rides is giving me a "gremlin bell", it'll probably be my first accessory to add...

·
Super Moderator
5,492 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Congratulations on your new ride. Looks like it has been sitting for a while. There is plenty of maintenance and checking to be done.

Check tire age by looking at the 4 digit DOT number embossed in the sidewall. First two are the week and the second two are the year of manufacture. If over 6 years old, replace them regardless of how they look. Replace the tubes and rim strips also.
Check the age of the battery. If it is over 5 years old, would replace it with a quality AGM type battery. Buy on that you put the acid in and them do the activation charge. Who knows how long the pre filled ones have been sitting on the shelves. Avoid them.
Change Oil and Filter, change front and rear brake fluid, change clutch fluid, check air filter, check brake hoses, check steering head bearings, replace coolant, coolant hoses and O rings, check and replace all fuel and vacuum lines, lube throttle cables, install a better horn like a Stebel Air Horn, check everything that you can get a wrench on for tightness, and anything else that is outlined in the repair manual’s maintenance schedule. Here is a link to down load a factory repair manual that shows all the procedures. Also a link to an OEM parts supplier with diagrams. Have found the parts diagrams help show how things are assembled. Remember the members here will be happy to help.
Thanks again for becoming a member. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Really like that Merc on the back ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. That's gonna be a real beauty once she's cleaned up and tuned. Love that color. As you can see, this is a friendly and active forum and more members own 900s than any other bike here so you'll get plenty of good advice and help when you need it. Be sure to show us some after pics too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first pic of the bike was in the seller's shed. Brought it home today and gave it a quick bath. Took off the travel trunk, I want saddle bags instead. Having a bit of an issue: i can't remove the fuel cap. The key turns to the right as far as the dot between the arrows and that's it, no further. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A friend of mine who rides suggested tapping on the top of the cap while putting some turning pressure on the key. That worked. Moisture got to the cap and had the lock tabs stuck good. Wire brushed it clean and lubed it and now it works well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Learning a lot going through issues to get this bike up and running. Worked through 2 mouse nests (one under the seat and the other in the air intake), 6 nibbled sections of wire, cleaning rust from the fuel tank, new battery, plugs, air filter and oil change, and partially dry clutch to get a good running bike that drives and rides quite nice. It still needs a front tire and some more fluids changed, but I'm sure it'll bring me a lot of 2 wheel road time coming soon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts