Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my speakers are stock and starting to sound very weak and rattlebraining, so I decided it was about time to get new speakers....
I love the way my stock radio sounds, I like my Ipod Classic with it's SSD card inside instead of the hard drive and the only thing weak is the almost 9 year old speakers.

So i went shopping, this is what I ordered, they will be here before Friday of this week and then I will install, getting ready for my week's vacation the following week.

Kicker PS52504
5-1/4" 2-way motorcycle speakers (4-ohm)

Product Highlights:

2-way 5-1/4" marine speakers (pair)
polypropylene woofer with rubber surround
bridge-mounted 3/4" neo-titanium dome tweeter
lightweight neodymium magnets
4-ohm impedance
power range: 5-50 watts RMS (100 watts peak power)
frequency response: 60-20,000 Hz
sensitivity: 88.3 dB
top-mount depth: 2-3/16"
includes grilles for Harley-Davidson's "Bat-wing" fairing
warranty: 1 year
Our 60-day money-back guarantee

Max amp power = 100 Watts max / 50 Watts RMS

So once they come in and i install them I will let you know how well they sound, but here is a video to let you know a little more

https://www.crutchfield.com/I-rESTcVSL/p_20610P5254/Kicker-PS52504.html?tp=139&avf=Y

Hope this helps someone out there, oh yea the price

Drum roll please =

Price $129.99

Thanks for looking!!!
Robert

Attachments

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Anxious to hear what you think of them. You don't have the rear speakers?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Glen54 I do not have the rear speakers on the Voyager, but I will have better sounding front speakers!!! I did not what to have to do cutting, ect to get better speakers in the front that is why I am going this route, I will post pictures of the install so all can see how the new speakers look and install on a 2009 Voyager

More to come sir

Thanks for looking,
Robert

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can order adapters to put 6-1/2" in the front, with no cutting. They help some, but the rear speakers make a LOT of difference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at them next bu right now I need to replace the orignal speaker since they rattle a little with some bass, have to find a good source for the rear speaker setup next!
Once I get back from Vacation next week I will send in my ECU to get the latest Ivan update, and then look at rear speakers too!!!

So much to do with so little cash!!! LOL

·
Registered
181 Posts
I looked at several different places to buy the rear speakers, but they were all the same price. They're in the $389 neighborhood. Then after I got them I pulled the factory speakers out and installed Polk Audio in the housings.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well here is the final update on those new speakers I bought.

taking the old ones out was very easy and getting the new ones in was too, when putting on the GRILL it was a little tight on the top, but pops on and works well.

I have to say the speakers handle the stock radio power better then the originals and can take all of the bass and loud volumes the stock radio can throw at them.

I can hear them at 70 miles an hour, the bass is the best I have heard on my bike since I bought it, and the Automatic Gain Control does not bother me now since I used to kick up the bass while riding slow and forget about it when I went faster and quickly had to drop the bass off so the speakers would not destroy themselves!!!

So overall the speakers sound great, can handled the bass, have better highs and looks nicer then the stock speakers, a little pricey but you get what you pay for..

The pictures below will show you the details, now they are the same size and the depth on the new speakers are a little longer that sit in the housing but you will notice a difference quickly, I did one speaker (New) in and one old speaker and you can really hear the difference, then putting in both the new speakers was like night an day... I am sold, I got the radio to max with bass on 4 and they did not distort!!!

Enjoy the pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for posting Robert. On my stock 2016, I can hear the stereo fine at 70 mph. But I have found that anything beyond a +2 on the Bass is too much and does not sound so good. I am just not able to spend the big bucks on Rears but I think based on your experience of better sound and ease of installation, I will get a set too over the winter. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Something you may also try. When I installed my 6 3/4" Kickers with above mentioned adapters, I found the best sound was with the enclosures removed. I tried them with foam filling, empty, and removed completely and thats the best sound I got.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have the 6.75" Kickers too. Randy Brewster's adapters. Awesome sound with my Rockford Fosgate 300W amp. I also have the rear speakers. Bike system sounds great.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rick,

I will give that a try in the morning! they sound great now but if they can sound better I am all for it, will let you all know what I found out in the AM

Thanks for looking
Robert

·
Registered
181 Posts
Something you may also try. When I installed my 6 3/4" Kickers with above mentioned adapters, I found the best sound was with the enclosures removed. I tried them with foam filling, empty, and removed completely and thats the best sound I got.

When I added the adapters and my Polk Audio Speakers I tried it without the speaker buckets, but the fairing rattled so much it sounded terrible. I put them back in and the rattle stopped. The speakers sound like they bottom out when the bass hits hard, but it's still better than the rattle.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I have the 6.75" Kickers too. Randy Brewster's adapters. Awesome sound with my Rockford Fosgate 300W amp. I also have the rear speakers. Bike system sounds great.
You and I may have been the 1st 2, possibly the only 2, to use the 6 3/4" speakers. You did beat me to it and your post is why I tried them. I picked my adapters up in person and Randy saw where they did not quite fit them. Says he adjusted the design so now they'll fit with trimming I did as I'm sure you did also. I'm using a Clarion amp though instead of the Rockford.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I added the adapters and my Polk Audio Speakers I tried it without the speaker buckets, but the fairing rattled so much it sounded terrible. I put them back in and the rattle stopped. The speakers sound like they bottom out when the bass hits hard, but it's still better than the rattle.
Same thing here. What I found works best is buckets in and fill them about half way with poly fill.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You and I may have been the 1st 2, possibly the only 2, to use the 6 3/4" speakers. You did beat me to it and your post is why I tried them. I picked my adapters up in person and Randy saw where they did not quite fit them. Says he adjusted the design so now they'll fit with trimming I did as I'm sure you did also. I'm using a Clarion amp though instead of the Rockford.
Can you guys please elaborate a bit more???
Who's Randy, and where can I find him or "THE ADAPTER"?
I like how the 6.75" look like... BTW, is there a specific model of the speakers you used?:nerd:

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought these same Kicker speakers and installed them today. One thing I noticed is they don’t sit into the speaker pods because they are slightly too round. They fit perfectly if the pods are removed. I am going to have to sand some material away to get them to sit into the pods.

Did you use your pods? I noticed you said your grill was hard to seat, if you used your pods, you likely don’t have the speakers seated because of the issue I just described.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I bought these same Kicker speakers and installed them today. One thing I noticed is they don’t sit into the speaker pods because they are slightly too round. They fit perfectly if the pods are removed. I am going to have to sand some material away to get them to sit into the pods.

Did you use your pods? I noticed you said your grill was hard to seat, if you used your pods, you likely don’t have the speakers seated because of the issue I just described.
If you mean along the inside, I did dremel a small amount of material to make them seat into the adaptors, but I understand that he has changed his design to accommodate them. I think its on the dash side where I still have a small gap where the 2 halves seat together.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts