Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I looked at this forum back in 2007 to get insight on several things before I bought my 2007 Candy Plasma Blue 900 Custom but I never registered here. Just the other day I happened to run across this forum again and I came across several threads that I had questions about after I bought my bike. So I decided to register and I responded to a couple of threads about Cobra sisybar and luggage racks. I couldn't figure out how to attach pictures to a thread but I was able to download some pictures to the photo gallery under Mods and Admins if anybody is interested. Some of the mods on the bike are Mutazu MU hardbags, l already mentioned the cobra sisybar, the license plate mounting was modified, I've seen a few threads about how ugly the stock one is, I changed the drag bars to a set of Classic 1500 bars and a Memphis Fats 17" windshield. I didn't change the bars because of looks, I just couldn't get comfortable with the original bars since I have carpel tunnel in one of my wrists. The bike fits me great now, I'm 6'2" ~190lbs.
I went through many of the questions about if a 900 is big enough or should I get something bigger. After 2 years and ~6500 miles I'm fairly happy. I think for one up riding especially if it's used for commuting this is a great bike. It's a fairly light nimble bike especially for older guys (I'm 50+). I get 46-48 mpg city and have gotton upto 55 mpg highway. The only thing I'd say is if you do alot of 2-up riding, then the 900 may be marginal.
As far as the skinny front tire goes, I don't have any problems with it, it handles great, you just have to be more aware of road conditions (gravel, wet conditions). I just like the way the customs looks compared to the larger tire, bigger fender classics.
Anyway this is probably to long already so I will signoff.

Russ

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome. I will check out your pictures as well. I have found that you have to compress your pictures before you can load them on a reply.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Welcome to the forums! LOVE the color-match on your saddlebags, and wishing I could find something similar for my passion red. Guessing you had them painted after purchase? Also, are yours perma-mount, or quick release? I saw on their website that they recommend easy brackets as a viable mount.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sketso,
I had bags painted but not with the kawasaki 2 part paint, they wanted over 200 bucks for a pint of base and top coat (not including the clear coat). I had an Automotive paint store match it, was only $50/pint. I spent more on painting than the bags cost and it would have been more if I used the Kawasaki paint.

I got free mounting brackets with the bags but I didn't like them, they were to flimsy. I made my own brackets out of 1" x 3/16" flat stock. Brackets use same bolts that the sissybar bolts at top, but at the bottom I bolt into the frame and tie the back end of brackets into where the back fender/light assembly are supported. The bags are bolted on with 4 bolts each and the wire harnesses have a plug. They are removable, it just takes an extra 10 or 15 minutes.

The bags look good, but they aren't real top quality, I just didn't want to spend $1000 or more for better hardbags. I reinforced the inside wall where the bag bolts to the brackets with 1/16" aluminum because they are made of 2 pieces and I think if you put heavy stuff in stock bag it will crack easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts