Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning I've received K&L float needles for my Vulcan 500. Since this is my first needle changing, i noticed that new needles won't compress at all with weight of the floats...So I bent float adjusters a bit to get 17mm height. Is this normal behavior for new needles or do I need to let them soak in gas or something? I assembled carbs and filled them with gas, so far no leaks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking about the opposite side of the needle, it was stiffer than old OEM needles (that dimple thingy on the opposite side where float adjuster is resting) it was stiffer. In the end, my problem wasn't only fuel-related, but it was also leaky valves in the cylinder head and oil-burning which caused issues, engine ran like crap.
K&L float needles are actually excellent for the price, I reinstalled them after fixing engine issues and since then bike is running great.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
So you're saying the aftermarket float needles are nice, but don't actually fit properly like the OEM parts fit?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back then I was comparing NEW K&L with OLD OEM needles, which is idiotic, it is obvious that old needle spring became weaker over time. They fit perfectly, great OEM replacement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had overflow recently too. I saw fuel in the air box and flowing from the carburetor upper tube. I replaced oil right before this. Now l am worried about the oil. The oil level has not increased and l can not smell fuel in the oil... but devil never sleeps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts