Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I received a spacer from ebay that would expand my search for a air intake because it was spaced same as a carb. Well, I wanted something hot-rod- ish but the ones I liked were in the $375 - $450 price range and with trying to buy a house that was a no-can-do. Sooo, I went to the auto parts store and picked up a 6" plain jane chrome intake and made a block-off plate to fit up to the spacer. The center hole fell just inside the intake so I had to allow for a place for a rod to attach the top. You can see what I've done in the pics. It's off getting tack welded right now and then will go to the powder coaters just for some protection before final installment. I moved it up as far as it would go for 1, looks. 2, cooler, cleaner air and 3. to clear my knee. I was happy with the way it turned out and $30 is much easier on the wallet.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Nice job. When there is a will there is a way. I know what you are saying about the house. I am just about to get my car paid for so I can save for a house. That is why my bike is still stock. Now all you need to do is get you one of those filter diapers for when you get caught in the rain.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL yeah, I'd already thought about the diaper thing. I just don't think I'll call it that. Haha. I really wanted a big Hilborn air scoop hanging off the side but they were just a little too long and were $100, then to chop it and re-weld was a deal breaker. I also looked at several auto related scoops. Now that I've got the template made up I can make another if I find something of odd size. I even considered the triangular Edelbrock air cleaner but decided to go this route. I've already got the adapter installed to thread the rod into now I want the tri-bar nut for the top. Reminds me of an old knockoff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I love the intake and great work. I was thinking about doing this with my 1500 because i hate to pay 400 for something that can be done for 100.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plate has been welded and is at the powder coaters now, should be done by this weekend. Welder had a hard time because the metal was so thin and it wanted to warp especially where I had the opening cut out. Once I get it back and all together I'll post up the final pics and what it cost me. I don't know if you guys remember the front fender extension I made but this was made from the same sheet of steel. I've gotten my money's worth out of this steel.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, got my piece back from powder coat and it turned out excellent. Put my adapter on, bought and installed the threaded rod and took it out for a spin. You can really hear the air being sucked in with an open filter like this one. It worked flawlessly until I got caught out in a light sprinkle. Didn't affect the filter but it ran my butt in quick. If anyone is interested the filter itself cost me $20 at Autozone. Welding and powdercoat were free but I'm sure I'll have to repay the favor sometime down the road or buy dinner sometime. The 1/4 20 button head screws were 3 or 4 bucks at lowe's and the threaded rod kit was $5 at Autozone. I still have pieces of that left over. I still need a hold down nut, I'd like a tri bar wing nut but nobody local has one, right now I'm just using a regular ole nut which does the job. So all in all I've got less than $30 invested in it right now and it looks pretty good if I say so myself:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Awesome. Those air cleaners really have that "Classic" look to them.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, that's the route I was fishing for, old classic hot rod. Now the tri bar knock off would really set it off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Love it. Excellent work. It make me want to do it to my 1500.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I believe I would try and find a low profile one so it won't catch your pants leg. I figured Advance/Auto Zone/O'Reilly type places would have that in stock.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I was thinking too if you still had the wooden hand grips you could carve you a tri-bar cap made of the same wood and press the nut in it. Then it would match.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny you should mention that. This all started because I wanted one done in all wood. Basically a "cover" and slots cut in the side over the filter material, all done in walnut. Buuut, dad is working again (stupid job) after being laid off for several months. That's when my grips got done, when he had loads of free time. So once I got this idea in my head I had to run with it. I still may have a wooden cover made and swap it out, it'll be easier now that I have all the innards fabbed up I can just swap out the covers. Autozone does have a smooth top, knurled sides nut but it's not hot rod enough. I've been perusing ebay lately and may come up with something original and rat rod. I've also thought about gluing a nut inside one of my 7.62X54 casings and using that.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Funny you should mention that. This all started because I wanted one done in all wood. Basically a "cover" and slots cut in the side over the filter material, all done in walnut. Buuut, dad is working again (stupid job) after being laid off for several months. That's when my grips got done, when he had loads of free time. So once I got this idea in my head I had to run with it. I still may have a wooden cover made and swap it out, it'll be easier now that I have all the innards fabbed up I can just swap out the covers. Autozone does have a smooth top, knurled sides nut but it's not hot rod enough. I've been perusing ebay lately and may come up with something original and rat rod. I've also thought about gluing a nut inside one of my 7.62X54 casings and using that.
Could always find one of these.

And then just cap it with a chrome acorn nut.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...and for my next trick...

Next up I'm thinking about really customizing it. Thinking about having a vinyl cutter make me a cut out of some artwork I did for myself and ended up putting it on some corn hole boards my brother and I made for my dad for father's day a few years ago. It's our last name incorporated into the Aerosmith logo. I sketched it out to put up on a gameroom wall but it's only made it's way to some game boards thus far. I'd like it to drape caddy cornered across the tank with the tips of the wings going over the edge of the tank. Small pin stripe would do it, something thin and easily removable.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Next up I'm thinking about really customizing it. Thinking about having a vinyl cutter make me a cut out of some artwork I did for myself and ended up putting it on some corn hole boards my brother and I made for my dad for father's day a few years ago. It's our last name incorporated into the Aerosmith logo. I sketched it out to put up on a gameroom wall but it's only made it's way to some game boards thus far. I'd like it to drape caddy cornered across the tank with the tips of the wings going over the edge of the tank. Small pin stripe would do it, something thin and easily removable.
I don't know about over in your neck of the woods but the local Vocational School here has one. Every year at their car show they set it up and sale them rather cheaply. As long as you can get a AutoCAD, Adobe, or ... file that is Vector Data and not raster data they can make it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah but I'm on my phone right now, I can post up tomorrow or just google vn 2000 air cleaner adapter. It's a two piece chrome adapter with bolts and a couple of 90 degree elbows.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's what the adapter looks like, it's usually retail for around $230 - $260 but I found mine on ebay for less than $30 shipped. THAT is the only reason I have one. Lucked out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts