Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new pipes in the mail today and on the box it says for fuel injected I need to buy the V&H fuel programmer. Is there truth to this? To my knowledge pipes alone don’t need a programmer. Big kit + pipes I do. Mine is stock atm just bought the pipes.

2014 Kawi Vulcan 900 Classic

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just got my new pipes in the mail today and on the box it says for fuel injected I need to buy the V&H fuel programmer. Is there truth to this? To my knowledge pipes alone don’t need a programmer. Big kit + pipes I do. Mine is stock atm just bought the pipes.

All I ever hear about programmers are issues. Search on the forum about the Ivan ECU tune. I think it’s a better fix for the money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m jus two seeing if I even need to spend the money. I don’t see why it would need it to expel the exhaust.
If it was a big air kit then I understand more air needs more fuel etc etc

·
Super Moderator
3,091 Posts
All aftermarket exhaust manufacturers instructions say to get some form of fuel management. Would see how the bike runs and how the exhaust sounds when deaccelerating. If any fuel management is needed, as Badboir states, definitely do the Ivan performance flash on the ECU.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2009 900Custom.
When fitted with a two into pipe , KnN insert air filter she ran fine.
When I put on Power Commander fuel Controller she ran , well, rubbish.
Two into one pipe had no exhaust gas sensor holes. Put standard ( de-baffled ) pipes back on, connected up PCFC again and O2 rectifier ( supplied with PCFC) and she now runs lovely. Pulls through all gears well, no hesitation and little back firing.
Map on PCFC is Standard or aftermarket filter/ standard or aftermarket exhaust.
When I get around to it I'm going to get O2 sensors fitted to two into one.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
With freeflow exhausts most bikes require some level of retune or they run too lean. You'll have to be the judge yourself.
I don't much about the Ivan tune but people here swear by it so depending on how your bike sounds you might try it.

·
Premium Member
2011 V900 Custom
36 Posts
I’m jus two seeing if I even need to spend the money. I don’t see why it would need it to expel the exhaust.
If it was a big air kit then I understand more air needs more fuel etc etc
Like Tourer said, install the pipes and fire up the bike. I installed V&H on a previous bike and it ran fine without any mods. You can always get an electronic ad-on if you really need one later although I suspect that they're required for the bigger displacement engines (1800/2000/etc.)

·
Registered
54 Posts

Let me guess, they are Vance and Hines Pipes? There is an 02 eliminator that you can get that just plugs into the O2 sensor wire to do away with that problem. I'd go with Ivan's reflash before I'd buy a tuner. I've owned them and they are trouble prone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts