Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I started it with my fingers and tightened it with a swivel socket, I think.......:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
If any one has done this, how did you get the front nut.... back on the front exhaust pipe........ without f***ing anything up?

Thanks
I just installed a new set of Cobra Slashdowns and faced the same dilemma. I wound up loosening the radiator and taking the top hose off in order to pull it back enough to get at it. You need to be careful though as a wire harness is attached to the left top radiator screw. I almost yanked those wires loose thinking the radiator was stuck in the lower rubber mounts. Anyway that was the only way I could have any piece of mind that the front header nut was tight enough. Went for a 110 mile ride and was assured it was. You'll lose some coolant but its worth it to have that piece of mind.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about the radiator thing. I did have a 3/8 swivel adapter and extension, but a 1/4 would probably have been better........ maybe. I had to get a lever and bend in the chrome outer wall, just to be able to hold the nut between my fingers, and get it started.....after about an hour. Then, I was able to get the socket on in such a way as to be pretty sure I got it tight. In doing so, as the swivel turned clockwise, the chrome outerwall began to "peel" counter clockwise. So.....like....that pretty much sucked. They are on now, but dammit. The socket had gotten jammed in such a way that I had to continue tightening, causing more damage, in order to get it out. So that pretty much sucked. Its not too noticeable where it is, but I'll probably gey my Dremel wheel and cut out the bad part. Oddly enough there IS room to do that. It won't be noticeable to anyone but me when done. But,,,as stated, that pretty much sucks. The radiator was the way to go, but I was in waaaaaaaay to much of a hurry to take THAT much time. In the grand scheme of things, will it be a life altering experience ? NO...........but S**T.

Thats it

·
Registered
91 Posts
I thought about the radiator thing. I did have a 3/8 swivel adapter and extension, but a 1/4 would probably have been better........ maybe. I had to get a lever and bend in the chrome outer wall, just to be able to hold the nut between my fingers, and get it started.....after about an hour. Then, I was able to get the socket on in such a way as to be pretty sure I got it tight. In doing so, as the swivel turned clockwise, the chrome outerwall began to "peel" counter clockwise. So.....like....that pretty much sucked. They are on now, but dammit. The socket had gotten jammed in such a way that I had to continue tightening, causing more damage, in order to get it out. So that pretty much sucked. Its not too noticeable where it is, but I'll probably gey my Dremel wheel and cut out the bad part. Oddly enough there IS room to do that. It won't be noticeable to anyone but me when done. But,,,as stated, that pretty much sucks. The radiator was the way to go, but I was in waaaaaaaay to much of a hurry to take THAT much time. In the grand scheme of things, will it be a life altering experience ? NO...........but S**T.

Thats it
Well it worked in my favor because I had bought a chrome screen http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270648932046&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1404wt_722 for the radiator anyway and needed to install it. I had waited two weeks after buying the screen to install it because I realized that wasn't going to be a cakewalk either. Since the exhaust forced me to pull the radiator anyway I was able to install the screen at the same time. Now that I've pulled the radiator once I won't hesitate to do it agin if it gets in the way.

While I'm on the subject. I did lose a bit of radiator fluid in the process. In trying to refill the radiator I thought it was necessary to remove the gas tank to get to the radiator cap. That was going to take a lot more time than I wanted to take. So.....I simply filled the overflow tank. Does anybody know that is an acceptable method of topping off the coolant level. There was nothing showing in the level tube but it hasn't moved since I filled it either, and that's after a 110 mile run. Just askin....

BTW, the new Cobra Slashdowns are the sweetest, throatiest sounding pipes I've ever heard on a bike. This 2053 cc powerhouse has the finest sound I've ever heard.:eek:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Your last post really came through quite clear RRKR
I hear you about getting all Sh^*! faced :mad: about some tasks when it comes to this bike.

By they way you never did say which pipes you went with.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a set of 1/4" drive SnapOn swivels and speed handle that come in very handy...............:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK, here's my solution. I got the Hard Krome Double D's, the 3" Big Striaghts. Anyway, I used an open end/box end wrench. I put the open end on the nut, and through the box end, I ran a large diameter screwdriver, essentially making a "T-handle." I went slow and careful, and it took about 5 minutes, and the nut was on, tight as a cherry in an apple orchard!!! No leak detected as of yet. Hope this helped...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got them on, but bent the outer shroud up near the bolt. I will have to cut out the bent part with my dremel, because it kind of tore.... I was just wondering what everyone else might have gone through.

The 1/4 inch swivel adapter and ratchet would have indeed solved my problem, but I didn't have one and it was 11pm so I couldn't get one. Its really not noticeable if you didn't know to look, but I know...so I will have to remove a little metal.

Fooling with that one nut took as long as the whole rest of the project.

All in all............... on a scale of 10, with 10 being the most difficult................

I would have to say this project................pretty much sucked

1 - 11 of 11 Posts