Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm eyeing up an eventual clutch replacement and trying to settle on one. The bike seems to be slipping and I'm the second owner so I don't know whats it's been through. I've already read all the threads on here about this issue, I'm just trying to find a replacement for when the time comes.
Basically it's a split between OEM and a kit I found on ebay.

1. Does anyone know about this kit? EBC clutch kit
It's way cheaper than the seemingly overpriced Rekluse kits. And the price matches OEM a lot more. Should I just get this and role with it?

2. The OEM parts breakdown shows three different model numbers for the steel plates (13089, 13089A, 13089B). What's the difference? I have a 2016 Vulcan S If the year matters towards the fitment.

Thanks for any help!

Bike tax:

·
Registered
313 Posts
In all the years I've been bike'n (more than I care to think about), and through all the associated clutch rebuilds (Usually because they were slipping), I have yet to have to replace a single metal clutch plate. Not saying it can't happen but if the metal plates aren't bent or warped or burnt (not sure burnt really matters - as long as they're not warped) or rusted to Rat Shit, they probably don't need to be replaced. Fibers plates - that's a different story.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In all the years I've been bike'n (more than I care to think about), and through all the associated clutch rebuilds (Usually because they were slipping), I have yet to have to replace a single metal clutch plate. Not saying it can't happen but if the metal plates aren't bent or warped or burnt (not sure burnt really matters - as long as they're not warped) or rusted to Rat Shit, they probably don't need to be replaced. Fibers plates - that's a different story.
Great thanks for the reply. Would I need to replace the springs too? They don't seems like something that would wear out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Great thanks for the reply. Would I need to replace the springs too? They don't seems like something that would wear out.
Sorry, don't know the anser to that - someone elese will chime in. On some bikes, like my 1500, the spring is what wears out - the fiber and metal plates were fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As your clutch gets older&wears out-Along w/engine heat,YES,The springs get weaker w/heat&age;PERSONALLY,I WOULD ALSO REPLACE THE SPRINGS when replacing the clutch......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks guys I ended up getting a Barnett kevlar clutch kit.
Any feedback on the Barnett clutch? I am in the same boat as you (second owner, unknown history) and if I "give it the beans" it slips around 5-6k, but if I roll on the throttle, it's fine.

Makes for some "entertaining" passing on 2 lane roads :eek:

Am going to try changing engine oil to see if it changes, but am also planning contingencies.

I have seen clutch kits from EBC, Outlaw Racing and Barnett. Trying to get a "lay of the land" on what's good & not so great.

Shane

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any feedback on the Barnett clutch? I am in the same boat as you (second owner, unknown history) and if I "give it the beans" it slips around 5-6k, but if I roll on the throttle, it's fine.

Makes for some "entertaining" passing on 2 lane roads :eek:

Am going to try changing engine oil to see if it changes, but am also planning contingencies.

I have seen clutch kits from EBC, Outlaw Racing and Barnett. Trying to get a "lay of the land" on what's good & not so great.

Shane
The Barnett works great. No slipping at all. I love hammering it everywhere knowing i have a kevlar clutch. I'm sure the others are also fine though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you both for the feedback. Double checked that the clutch is properly adjusted, and have a few different oils to try out first to see if that's the issue.

If not, will crack it open.

Wacko, how's the clutch pull with the Barnett in it? Slightly stiffer or "forearm grip gym day" stiff?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you both for the feedback. Double checked that the clutch is properly adjusted, and have a few different oils to try out first to see if that's the issue.

If not, will crack it open.

Wacko, how's the clutch pull with the Barnett in it? Slightly stiffer or "forearm grip gym day" stiff?
When I had the oem springs out I compared them to the barnett and there wasn't much of a difference. After installing them it does feel a little stiffer but no big difference. If you ride the clutch a lot you might feel it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts