Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody bought and fitted a new clutch cable lately (OEM)?
I just bought one and noticed that the end at the lever side has got this metal tube elbow about 3 inches long...
The one on my bike has no elbow.
I checked again and it is the right part for the right year a right bike model. I checked on different suppliers sites, they all show the part with the elbow.
There are 2 used one for sale on Ebay, years 2006 and 07 and they look like my old one! So :confused:
(And of course I don't want to replace my used one with another used one)

I haven't tried to fit it yet, just received it and noticed the difference.
Can't check on another bike as the 900's are very rare down here.
Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seen lots of places on the internet and some local that will make custom cables to your specs. very popular on off road bikes
Yes thanks, but I don't know any around where I am.
I have tried the new cable, the elbow fits in the nut but it is directing the cable the wrong way, I could straighten it I guess, might not look very good:(
What 's strange is that the part is listed for the 900 but it's definitely not right...At least not for model 06, 07, 08...:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Yes thanks, but I don't know any around where I am.
I have tried the new cable, the elbow fits in the nut but it is directing the cable the wrong way, I could straighten it I guess, might not look very good:(
What 's strange is that the part is listed for the 900 but it's definitely not right...At least not for model 06, 07, 08...:mad:
You won't be able to straighten it without kinking it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I very well could be wrong. But does that elbow not sound like a throttle cable. Particularily if when installed it is point the wrong way.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Humm, ok, good, thanks Pacomutt.

Is there anybody out there with a 2012 900 Classic?
Does your clutch cable has a " metal elbow" at the lever side?

Was thinking they ran out of the older part...Which does not help me anyway.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I very well could be wrong. But does that elbow not sound like a throttle cable. Particularily if when installed it is point the wrong way.
The lever side does actually look like the throttle cable, the bend is not as rounded but the rest of the cable is definitely for the clutch, so, no, I am not trying to fit the wrong cable, I did not get a throttle instead of a clutch.
Actually I did replace both throttle cables not so long ago.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
My '06 Classic has the straight end with no elbow, but I just looked up the cable on cheapcycleparts, and they show a superseded cable with the elbow.
I guess a change was mandated somewhere along the way.
There might be nothing wrong with a used one if it was taken off a low mileage bike to install a longer one for apes or something like that.
You might also call a few dealers to see if they have any old stock cables.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Oops, I just noticed you're "down under" (unless you're in Florida). You may not have too many dealers to chose from.....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good idea! I will give this a try thanks.

Actually there is nothing wrong with my original cable but since the throttle one broke, I got a bit paranoid and decided to replace the clutch one also before it goes, the bike has 32000k and anyway it is good to have spares.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have 2 that I know of in Melbourne, one is a big Harley dealer, the other a smaller Kawa dealer, the later never has any parts in stock...Others in Sydney and Brisbane, 4000k away.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
We have 2 that I know of in Melbourne, one is a big Harley dealer, the other a smaller Kawa dealer, the later never has any parts in stock...Others in Sydney and Brisbane, 4000k away.
I guess you're coming into summer down there soon?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess you're coming into summer down there soon?
Yep, 26 yesterday (78 F)

The good thing down here is that we never get hard winter, never below 5, no ice nor snow (unless you go up in the mountain of course) so it's good riding all year around.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
135 Posts
My clutch cable on my 2007 is like the one you recieved. I bought my bike used and it was on it when I got it. I would say try it. It must be an updated version.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New clutch cable

More than representative Pacomutt, I don't know how to fit this one...:confused:
Lonestar, can you elaborate on your setup?

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Running the number 54011-0069 shows it to fit VN-900 Custom models only while 54011-0053 fits the Classic models. 69 is bent and 53 is straight. Doesn't appear to be an update or number change since both are presently available from the OEM.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts