Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, does this bike ever run out of noises to make??? So now it's a faintish "clicking" sound coming from the front pulley area. It speeds up and slows down with the wheel speed (as opposed to engine speed) and it doesn't matter what gear it's in or if the clutch is engaged or not. It almost sounds like a derailleur on a coasting 10-speed. It doesn't sound like grinding or banging or anything, and I've been riding it like this for longer than I'd care to admit. It hasn't gotten any louder (or quieter!) since it started. I've had it on the lift with the pulley covers off and manually turned the rear wheel and the sound is definitely coming from the pulley area.

Any ideas?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Man, does this bike ever run out of noises to make??? So now it's a faintish "clicking" sound coming from the front pulley area. It speeds up and slows down with the wheel speed (as opposed to engine speed) and it doesn't matter what gear it's in or if the clutch is engaged or not. It almost sounds like a derailleur on a coasting 10-speed. It doesn't sound like grinding or banging or anything, and I've been riding it like this for longer than I'd care to admit. It hasn't gotten any louder (or quieter!) since it started. I've had it on the lift with the pulley covers off and manually turned the rear wheel and the sound is definitely coming from the pulley area.

Any ideas?
bb's,, mite check the belt to see if you picked up a stone embedded in the belt.?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yep, second that, pain in the 'axel' when that occurs

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Bill, I feel another STICKY coming on, "How to fix the Clicking Pulley"
Hope you find it mate. Let us all know.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Second the rock in the belt. I had that happen once on my 2K. Was not a big one but was enough to embed in to the belt and make noise. Did not puncture all the way through it, but left a bulge on the backside of it.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I almost forgot, I also got a rock caught under the front pulley guard. It has a rubber scrubber that is supposed to keep the belt clean and debris out, well it will hold small rock. I had a good scar around the outside of my belt from that happening too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
have you checked that the pulley nut is tight? you might be able to see if the pulley moves on the splines by putting bike in gear and rocking the back wheel, but i think it would be a good idea to undo the lock tab and check the nut. if you have had the covers of you have obviously checked the belt

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
have you checked that the pulley nut is tight? you might be able to see if the pulley moves on the splines by putting bike in gear and rocking the back wheel, but i think it would be a good idea to undo the lock tab and check the nut. if you have had the covers of you have obviously checked the belt
Good idea. It doesn't really sound like a rock to me, but that doesn't mean I won't check for one.

Thanks for the input, guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts