Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody done an engine up grade on the Vulcan. Love my bike but coming from an HD it severly lacks power even after the big 3 is added. I am also told I will lose some grunt after adding the new pulley. So just curious if anybody had put new cams in one. thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have not done a CAM swap. But have done the big 3, and did not notice any low loss. Not sure I want to start tearing into the top end.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya I done some research, not worth it to me. Are you saying you didn't notice any loss after adding the PULLEY? I have heard that when you add a baron's front pulley you lose a little torque. Thanks

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Anybody done an engine up grade on the Vulcan. Love my bike but coming from an HD it severly lacks power even after the big 3 is added. I am also told I will lose some grunt after adding the new pulley. So just curious if anybody had put new cams in one. thanks.
well unless yor coming off a measley 883 hardley, that lil v9 is just a puddle jumper.. the "big 3" on that little motor and now "cam" is, well its still a measley 45ci square motor. its never gonna give you what yor looking for, no matter how much moola you dump in it.

if you want a motor that will put hardley big blox to shame, not talking about hp but tork, take a ride on a kaw v2k. just do it. take a ride. form yor own opinion. straight up stock. this motor makes more tork at idle than the v9 does at full rpm. it is a "stroker" not a square motor. 5" stroke with 2x 4" coffee can size pistons. Tork curve goes straight up from idle to 125ft/lbs at a measley 2k rpm. its HUGE pulling power, not crazy fast shit. it dont stop there. the meat is between 2-3k rpm she tops off at 145/ft lbs. its just crazy power like drugs. you will be hooked. this is a straight up stocker motor. no mods or other nonsense. Kaw made the biggest foobar when they dropped production of this motor 010 was last year. they put all thier nickels on that wimpy v17 sewing machine..
want a real MOTOR in yor cycle. get a v2k. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There's a guy who makes a turbo kit! Ha!

Pulleys won't make you LOSE power. It'll just change where the powerband is in relation to speed. Since you'll be lower in the powerband in higher gears. So, for example, the steep hill you can pull in 5th no problem might require a shift to 4th. There's just as much horsepower and torque as before; you just have to downshift in that scenario because you've dropped the RPMs out of the powerband. But you make up for it with smoother running at highway speeds.

Pulleys are not a power UPGRADE either. All they do is drop the RPMs in a given gear and speed combo.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
There's a guy who makes a turbo kit! Ha!

Pulleys won't make you LOSE power. It'll just change where the powerband is in relation to speed. Since you'll be lower in the powerband in higher gears. So, for example, the steep hill you can pull in 5th no problem might require a shift to 4th. There's just as much horsepower and torque as before; you just have to downshift in that scenario because you've dropped the RPMs out of the powerband. But you make up for it with smoother running at highway speeds.

Pulleys are not a power UPGRADE either. All they do is drop the RPMs in a given gear and speed combo.
So on the other end is there any change to the overall top speed of the 900 with both overdrive pulleys? I noticed with a big head wind that I was bottoming the throttle and no speed increase at times. I never experienced that before the overdrive pulleys were installed. Or is that the same as dropping a gear and getting back into the power band you speak of?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
So on the other end is there any change to the overall top speed of the 900 with both overdrive pulleys? I noticed with a big head wind that I was bottoming the throttle and no speed increase at times. I never experienced that before the overdrive pulleys were installed. Or is that the same as dropping a gear and getting back into the power band you speak of?
I'm not sure. On lots of cars top speed is actually not in top gear. But how fast were you going when bottoming out? And yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. You need to be revving faster to have the power to accelerate at those speeds. But if you're going 80+ then you're just out of luck because dropping down to 4th at those speeds is probably not a viable option.

It's not a speed demon or a freight train. If you like to run it fast on the highway and accelerate hard the pulley's are probably something you want to skip. There's no loss of power as measured on a Dyno; but the shift in the powerband may hurt your effective top end (but it won't really change your acceleration past taking off from a stop through shifting into second. After that the spacings are the same so acceleration will be the same.) The pulley's are not a performance mod; they are a mod to make the bike more comfortable at cruising speeds of 65~80. Above 80 you probably need the stock pulley's to keep the RPM's high enough to have the power for consistent 80+ when loaded down. This engine makes power at high RPM's, not the low end.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Makes sense, and i was doing probably 75 on interstate with a very strong headwind. I had never experienced bottoming out the throttle before. And I don't need a speed demon, I was just passing traffic and struggling to do so. I can now see where the limits of the 900 are. I love the machine and have made it mine to every extent. But on the other hand I am also considering a Touring Bike for the more comfortable longer hauls. Most likely a Voyager, one of my local dealers actually has a 2013 brand new for $14000. Hard to believe it's $5000 under what they are asking for a 2014 model. But I also don't think I can afford it right now. Who knows, I'm rambling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts