Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
what a dummy .... I have seen a vid where they rev the bike so high and long just to watch the pipes glow red ... i just dont get it. I guess you just cant fix stupid.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Time for Leaf's Daily Rant! (I apologize in advance, lol.)

I was looking at a "heavily customized" (read: ruined for the sake of looking/sounding "cool") V-Star 650 earlier in the week... It was flaming out the exhaust (aftermarket straight pipes) like that and the seller was revving it like that with the engine cold. And the carbs were leaking gas everywhere. I stood waaaaay back... Suffice to say, I advised my friend who was interested in it that the best response was probably to run away as quickly as possible rather than buy it.... Maybe if he'd wanted $800 or something, but he wouldn't go below $2200, lol.

Imo, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. All that all this "customization" does, imo (at least when done by the shadetree mechanic like me), is make the bike lose value and run poorly... And even when done by a professional, it makes them lose value even if they do run properly when it's all said and done... The import bikes of today (and even of the 80s and 90s) are finely tuned machines from the factory and there isn't much to be done to improve the power appreciably without spending more than the bike is worth... Ride what you've got and don't go to needless fiddling for the sake of having an art project, I say.....

Of course, I am a hypocrite, as I'm getting ready to chop up and old Honda Hawk. But then again, I only paid $450 for it, plus a carb rebuild kit and maybe a head gasket, and it is broke... >_>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts