Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, November 2015
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as the title states. My new to me 900 classic has been modded.
When I first looked at the bike I thought she was stock. But, looking at the air cleaner on the right side there used to be a hose there & it's capped off.
Anybody have a clue?

Thanks, kanuck69.

Oh, & if this is posted in the wrong section, I do apolagize. This site is setup a tad different
Than the vn750 forum.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, as the title states. My new to me 900 classic has been modded.
When I first looked at the bike I thought she was stock. But, looking at the air cleaner on the right side there used to be a hose there & it's capped off.
Anybody have a clue?

Thanks, kanuck69.

Oh, & if this is posted in the wrong section, I do apolagize. This site is setup a tad different
Than the vn750 forum.
Hey, I used to be a member at VN750.com, under a different name of course. As for your 900, I suggest take some pictures and post them up here so we can see what's going on. I imagine the capped off hose could be part of the emissions system. It was capped to prevent decel popping, if that's the same hose.

Oh, and you will find the atmosphere here to be much easier to handle than what VN750 had. Welcome to vulcanfourms.com!

·
Registered
536 Posts
If there is a custom exhaust and air cleaner some people block of the vent hose to keep it from popping on deceleration. Pictures would tell the story so post up some pics and we will take a look at it.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I go by the same name everywhere. lol
I'll get pics up tonight. The exhaust looks stock & certainly looks stock BUT, I'm very much in the newb stage with this machine.

I'll get pics of the bike up once I'm done with it. I've got a fairing, bags & a trunk coming but I'm expecting it to take over a month to get in, painted & mounted.

As for vn750.com Yeah, there's still drama going on there. A few members I keep in touch with but I haven't been as active recently as I have been in the past.

Heck, I finally did an external alternator mod to my scoot & it pretty much flew under the radar! lol

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so here's the pics of the capped line & what's underneath.
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yup. If you look up under the tank and forward a bit, you'll probably see another capped off air inlet. That's commonly "marbled" (blocked) with aftermarket pipes because it causes popping on deceleration. Most people stick a marble in and plug the hose back (hence the term 'marbling'), but I guess this person capped both sides.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill have to look for another cap.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I knew I forgot something. Here's a pic of the exhaust.
I looked but I'm not seeing another capped line.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Here goes the curiosity again.
I have to ask why you installed the external alternator?
Do you ride with loose shoe laces?

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After going thru 8 stators, I got tired of changing them out.
I never was able to figure out why my bike ate stators but even
A TPE Enterprises (Tim Parrot) stator was not safe in my scoot.
So I eliminated the issue. Had about $200 wrapped up in it.
More than that in stators & gaskets! Ltms

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yeah, many riders at VN750.com fabricated some neat stuff to make the bike work better. The external alt. mod by kanuk69 is one of a kind and literally blows my mind. I had thought about trying the same thing, but not in the same way kanuk did it. I was thinking more of a piggy-back system that ran in conjunction of the stator to add wattage to the system for more lights and gear.

Honestly, I am shocked we don't see something like an external alt. on bikes. It would def. make changing them a lot easier!

Good job kanuk!

EDIT: I am curious though, kanuk, how do you shield the alt. mod from external elements?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Honestly, I am shocked we don't see something like an external alt. on bikes. It would def. make changing them a lot easier!

?
Sorry, not to be a tough nut, but I can see all kinds of hazards here.
Instead of making them easier to change, how about fixing them so that they do not need changing?

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am curious though, kanuck, how do you shield the alt. mod from external elements?
Water wasn't an issue. Light rain won't bother it & if it's a heavy down pour, I'm pulling over. As for debris, I had plans to make a shield for the front of it.
But, never got it.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok, after searching I've figured out it's been marbled or capped if you will.
I want to know where the hose connected to on the other end. Want to be sure
It's blocked off properly.
Also, could this be the reason I'm hearing a slight "chirp" sound when I'm decelerating?

Thanks.

Edit: never mind on the chirp. Seems that's a normal sound on this machine.

·
Registered
918 Posts

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Crazy, I do remember that bike. One of the few I've seen with bar end mirrors.

As for the stator. I hope not. Lol that was one of the things I tested before I bought it.
Besides, it doesn't sound like that. It's more of a light tingy sound which is directly
Affected by position of throttle in deceleration.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts