Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
A very small amount of oil present inside the air box is not at all uncommon, but it sounds like there is more than just a small amount. Carefully check the engine oil level and make sure it is at the prescribed level...if the level is at or above the upper level mark, it can cause this problem. A Mityvac is a good tool to have to suck out some oil. Remove the air box cover and clean it up. Make sure the gasket is seated properly during reassembly.

Refer to: https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=12133218 or do your own search.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The oil is coming from the crank case vent reservoir which is a little rubber "cap" (for lack of a better term) that catches the small amount of oil vapour that comes out of the crank case. It is located in the air box and needs to emptied on a somewhat regular basis.
Since you said your bike is new to you it probably wasn't emptied in a while, was full, and leaked out into the airbox.
Take that cover off and take a look you'll see what I mean. It's located near the bottom

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
In addition to what has already been said, there are 2 thin rubber gaskets on either side of the air filter element. I clean out the little oil catch cup (about thimble sized) with cotton swabs. Those 2 thin gaskets get flattened over time (they are not expensive) and replacing them helps to keep the oil inside the air cleaner, so it won't run out on the bike. AFAIK, this slght oil leakage from the crankcase vent is normal for the 900, and you do have to do about 5-10 minutes of maintenance for this once in a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts