Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a brand new rider (completed the MSF course a week ago) and I'm looking to buy my first bike. I've decided that it has to be a 900 and I've been looking at used models. After sitting on an 09 Classic, I saw a new 13 classic on the showroom floor and the price was within $1500 of the 09. I hadn't planned on a new bike but would I be a dope to pass this up?

Since this my first bike purchase, I'd really appreciate any input that is offered.

Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
I’ve always leaned toward ‘new’ within reason. I like a warranty and the peace of mind knowing that I haven’t inherited someone else’s problems. You have to balance your comfort level vs price and everyone has different ways of looking at it. You may want to consider how long you expect to keep the bike as well. I plan / planned on keeping mine for a long time so new made sense to me. I haven’t been sorry, it’s a great bike. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would shop around if $7700 is within $1500 of the 09 price you were looking at I think it was priced high. I bought my 09 last year for $3500. Granted it had a salvage title from being stolen I still think you can get them cheaper.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Suggested retail is $4700 on a 2009

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks all for the responses. They are greatly appreciated. When looking at older bikes with low mileage, what should I look out for? Is there a downside to a 5 or 6 year old bike with 4-5K miles? Other than no warranty? Is there a ruler of thumb for how old is too old, or what would be too many miles?

Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just purchased an 07 Custom with 10000 km (6000mi) the bike had not been ridden for a 1.5 yrs. The previous owner (the 1st0 had left the bike in his garage his wife lightly pushed it into a was causing cosmetic damage. Everyone her for similar bike want 5 - 6000 depending on what was on the bike. I managed to show up the right day and grab it for 4k, I had to spend for new throttle cables and headlight bucket. Found an unused set of pipes for $250 and add my own options - fairing grips. Took me 4 days to clean it up change the oil plugs and coolant. Tomorrow I am replacing the 7 year old tires my total cost will be around $5,200 for a bike in as close to new condition. In Toronto the new bikes are selling for10K OTD not including bags etc. Took me 4 months to find this bike. Was worth the effort.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Keep in mind, it is possible to get a warranty on a used bike. I was offered one with my '09 purchase and I had one with my '03 VN750 purchase. Glad I had it for the 750, the balancer dampeners had to get replaced. Total cost was around a grand, but I only paid 90 bucks.

If you finance the bike, there is a good chance the dealer will offer or require an extended warranty.

Oh, and if the used '09 is only 1500 away from a new bike, than the '09 has a high price tag. I paid just over 4 grand for mine and it came with aftermarket intake and pipes. Another thing to consider when buying used, you can usually find the aftermarket stuff already installed without it raising the value of the used bike much.

Good luck!

·
Registered
536 Posts
If I was you and looking for a used bike I would stay away from the 06, 07, or 08 Vulcans just because of the common stator failure on them. I bought an 07 and it was no big deal since I have had many bikes and could do the repair myself (and had to) but if you are new to this motorcycle thing it would be one to easily avoid. If you found a bike that had already had the stator repaired and you could prove it then no big deal at all. Also remember that the Vulcans need a valve adjust at 15,000 miles and that can cost a few hundred bucks to have a shop do it. All reasons to buy new even though I almost never do. There are a ton of very low mile almost new Vulcans out there for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I bought an 06 with 3500 miles but I've known the owner for 20 years. He kept it covered and garaged. He had to sell due to some spinal damage and could not hold it up at stops. He gave me the friend price.( still feel like I stole it.) I would buy what your comfortable with. If the new one is within price range and your happy go for it. Talk to the salesman and see if he'll go down some. Keep in mind they are probably trying to clear out the 13's and 14's.
Good luck.

Oh yea, Welcome from south Texas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the guidance and the welcomes. There is an 09 classic with 5700 miles and the dealer is asking $4900 for it. Sounds like this one is in the right price range for what it is. I'm going to check it out this afternoon.

·
Registered
445 Posts
FYI MC tires have a shelf life of five years, Google how to check tire production dates, and look at the color of the brake fluid There is a sight glass on the master cylinder just in front of the hand brake clear is good brown tea color will need to be changed. It will give you insight as to how they prepped the bike for sale, you may want to keep that in mind when you are negotiating. If you're comfortable with the deal go for it and remember we like pictures... Good luck and ride safe.

Ron

·
Registered
643 Posts
I purchased a new 2011 900 custom from a local dealer in Jan, 2014 for under $5k, $6K out the door,tax, tag, title etc..

If going used keep in mind add ons, seat, exhaust, bags, fuel management etc.. These goodies can add up to big $$ quickly. A low milage well equipped and maintained scooter may be the best value.

I was patient (but then it was the winter) looked at Craig's list, eBay, cycle trader etc., I found a big spread in prices, some folks are just more motivated to sell than others I guess.

In January dealers were offering 2014 900 customs for under $7k plus pdi, tax etc. I guess this is a tough time for MC dealers they were real eager to sell what they had on the floor.

Moral of the story there are always good deals out there some times a little patience can pay off in big savings.

Happy Riding

Let us know what you end up getting

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well when I got to the dealer the 09 was gone. They had just taken in a 10 custom and were asking $6,400 plus the usual extra $. Back to the drawing board now let's see ....where did I put that patience.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
used bikes

Be patient looking for your first bike. I've bought new twice but always find great deals on used. Bikes are like RV's, sometimes you find them with not many miles or used hardly at all since they are mostly seasonal items. And if you can find one in that shape great. I bought my 09' classic new in 2010 for $6,200 so that will give you something to compare too. Like another poster said you usually find used units with quite a bit of aftermarket pieces so that saves you right off the bat. Gary

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well when I got to the dealer the 09 was gone. They had just taken in a 10 custom and were asking $6,400 plus the usual extra $. Back to the drawing board now let's see ....where did I put that patience.....
It happens don't sweat it. It means you can ride to Miami and pickup that other bike lots of chrome looks great. One heck of a first bike. The one truth is there will be more for sale next week too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! Thanks for the links Nati. Badass indeed.

I really appreciated all the feedback and advice. Much appreciated everybody!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts