Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so ive found a new bike: 09 vn900 classic
so far ive had to cut the seat foam to stop the severe tailbone pain, looking for better than 10% reduced rpm at 70. I think barons pulleys and tire?
my big problem is this elusive gas leak under the tank. zero rust inside and out. ive pulled the fuel pump three times and checked/cleaned/replaced the o-ring with no dice. new fuel pipe... ive narrowed it down to the crimp of the pump flange to tank. packed it full of tank repair putty and hopefully no leak tomorrow. but not without falling off the table because a wind gust. small ding and deep scratches but it will live.

on the positive side: it has some cobra speedsters i packed a lot of fiberglass into and they sound great! much more torque than I was expecting and i love how the suspension handles. like a dream!
i managed to reduce the vibes a ton with some fuel cleaner, But my fuel leak got worse.
im trying to figure out posting pictures then i can show my fuel tank repair, but eh i think most of us have an idea how fuel tank putty works

·
Registered
75 Posts
Put fresh gas in the tank and grab sheets of paper to place them throughout the bike and see where it may be dripping from. Start low and start getting a feel for where it’s coming from and move higher and higher throughout the bike. Could always pull the tank and check that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
If I understand correctly, it sounds like the mating surfaces between the tank and the fuel pump are not perfectly flat. Also sounds like this is defeating the purpose of the o-ring seal. I'm not sure what can be done about that. The reason there are 5 screws in that area is to help pull the mating surfaces together. The only solution I can think of, is if there is a thicker o-ring available. You might check with your local Kawasaki dealer and see what they can suggest. They may likely suggest a new fuel pump, but see what other options are available. If a new pump with a good flat flange is needed, you can buy one off eBay and rebuild? I'm just grasping at straws here.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Is it certain that the leak is from the fuel pump flange connection with the tank? Unless the source of the leak is obvious, suggest also checking the high pressure fuel lines and connections from the pump output to the FI system. Fuel pump pressure can cause leaks in components where there would be no leak when not under pressure. The connections are held in place with tension clamps which possibly could loosen over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts